LegacyGT.com

BrenTuning LegacyGT.com Dyno Day Part 2

BrenTuning

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated Too

Hood scoop is plenty big enough. No hammers dujo!!!!

The tmic is too big for smaller sized turbos - the 16g definitely fails to operate well on such a big core as was discovered when fahr_side dyno'd and lost power and they couldn't bring it back until the smaller tmic was replaced. It happens.

This is definitely for bigger flowing turbos and as nrw said it really is an fmic sized core (much deeper actually) on the top. Just a bit bigger than the process west. I was able to get all the air from the hood scoop into the spearco as it sits up at an angle almost right into the airflow - looking through the hood you see it facing right at the opening (once I opened up the entire width of the opening by removing all the inner material.

• I Donated Too
Hood scoop is plenty big enough. No hammers dujo!!!!

The tmic is too big for smaller sized turbos - the 16g definitely fails to operate well on such a big core as was discovered when fahr_side dyno'd and lost power and they couldn't bring it back until the smaller tmic was replaced. It happens.

This is definitely for bigger flowing turbos and as nrw said it really is an fmic sized core (much deeper actually) on the top. Just a bit bigger than the process west. I was able to get all the air from the hood scoop into the spearco as it sits up at an angle almost right into the airflow - looking through the hood you see it facing right at the opening (once I opened up the entire width of the opening by removing all the inner material.

Does anyone have any info on a minimum required size to use efficiently? Hta68? 20g?

• I Donated Too

I am not sure how to answer that exactly as you ask but I am sure others can. Bren may even chime in as he has a wealth of experience of course.

So go look at my dyno plots earlier in this thread. The first was with stock TMIC and then the second was on the Perrin TMIC, the only change. It was an efficient and beneficial change and allowed Bren to up the boost by 1psi for a near 40whp gain and lots more torque...

My HTA68 was fine on the Perrin TMIC for 335whp/375wtq but when I asked Bren about turning up the boost more than 20/21psi as I would supplement with Meth he said no more for the Perrin/becomes a toaster was his choice of words* - Meth or no Meth - so you can figure where all the crazy started with the Spearco for me. The HTA68 can make plenty of boost but it's getting to the end anyway as it's known to be a 'good' 350whp Turbo and I had it at 335whp - I am sure Bren has got more whp on 68's under different conditions but I was advised I was heading towards FMIC territory - the Spearco is because I don't like doing what I am told!

So the other way to answer this is, there's not a lot of choice for TMIC's and the Spearco is as good as it's going to get - the Process West is slightly smaller - neither are without their problems - then the AVO/Perrin - and all the knock off's - so what's your pleasure is more the question?

*and you know what... he was right! The Spearco gets RED hot at full boost on the hot side! I can't imagine what the Perrin would have done, oh yes - it would have become a toaster.

Perrin/AVO is good till like 330whp then they turn red hot. PW/Spearco is better for more. PW cars have been fine with vf40/vf52/16gs. This is the only Spearco I've seen on one of our cars. They're STI fitment stuff works fine on many turbos I've seen.

Photo dump time. Sigma, I still need to work on yours to see if I can pull it off.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8122/8628657510_08c175a187_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8250/8628656840_b7736b5593_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8524/8628656128_12bd144031_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8403/8628654768_15f008fe25_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8394/8627546427_8eaae87a87_c.jpg

I have more pics, just wasn't happy with them. Sorry if your car wasn't shown. Next step is making the videos of the 4 lucky "tuniees".

shame all that bulk steers like a carnival cruise line..

All that bulk still weighs less than a spec b and corners just as well. I've never heard anyone say they handle like a cruise liner ;)

Looks like it was a good time. Nice cars and nice numbers. Maybe next time I'll make the trip and join in.

• I Donated Too
All that bulk still weighs less than a spec b and corners just as well. I've never heard anyone say they handle like a cruise liner ;)

this banter about 5th gens I give out is all in jest, partly something pfoyle and I go back and forth about purely for a joke. There's no actual truth in what I say and I think you understand that with the winky face there... but you are saying weigh LESS than a spec b? Since we know these 5th gens are a whopping 47lbs heavier than the LGT and the SpecB has weight saving aluminium parts that the regular LGT's don't - must be the 6 speed gearbox/R180 then I guess? Otherwise if it's a 2006 SpecB I don't think the puke red interior adds that much over it being almost identical to the LGT with the 5spd/R160?

Archived