LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT...should I?

Totaled04Rex

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just as a data point, I have 115K on my 2005 LGT wagon, a 5EAT. Stage 1, adult driven. All Motul fluids. Oil changed every 5K, diffs and trans D&F'd every 30K. A lot of highway miles. Knock on wood, but zero issues. As with most used vehicles, I think a solid, documented, maintenance history is more important than the actual miles. I'd rather have a known 100K mile car, than guess at what's gone on with a 60K mile one....or relay on Carfax. Just my $.02

Well I don't have documents to prove maintenance, but the car looks very well taken care of. New clutch, new PS pump, after I get it it will get a new timing belt, water pump, and CV axles installed. From then on out regular maintenance will be done at FAT. It's very clean for an almost 8 year old car, and after looking at other options, and searching high and low, it's the one. Inspection is tomorrow at 9am, and if all goes well will probably have it midday.

Compression test read as follows:

I guess it should be at 120?

The guys at FAT said they would recommend a valve job. $12-1500 which would include the 105k service with the timing belt and water pump etc. guy will still not budge from the $10k. So I would have $11,500 in the car.

Seriously need an informed opinion here, the guy at FAT said he would totally buy it for $10k, so I dunno. Gonna call the dealer and see what their opinion is, but value anything you guys may have to add.

• I Donated Too
was the compression test done with a warm motor? Then you'd be looking at 120 min with variation no greater than 5% between pistons. if this was done cold, it might be ok but on the way out if pushed hard. 11,500 into that car doesn't seem bad (to me)

Nothing wrong with being picky when buying a car. Gotta wait for the right one. I just picked up an 05 Limited GT fully loaded with 100k miles for 10k and it needed the timing belt service which cost me $700 so I believe I got a decent deal.

Good luck in your search!

So the red wagon is amazing. Tons of service records, clean carfax, drives awesome, tons of power, new turbo, brand new tires, 5MT, pretty fing awesome. Dealer inspection and compression/leak down test tomorrow am and then I'm buying it if it checks out. Not too keen on red, but it's a BA wagon for sure! Can't post a video for some reason otherwise id let you all listen to the awesomeness. Lol. Not holding my breath, but if it passes dealer inspection, I'm all about it.

This has to be the longest introduction thread in the history of legacygt.com congrats OP.

Thanks homie! This is longer than most threads on my reef aquarium forum that I start, I was pretty impressed as well. Glad you all could be a part of my relentless search for an awesome LGT. I think I may have found one, but won't know till tomorrow after the inspection.

Archived