LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT...should I?

Totaled04Rex

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me a 103k is alot of miles, but considering its a subaru id say its about average...it took me some time to find mine at such low miles..and honestly it was the only lgt i went to look at... the key is to know exactly what you want, then you dont waste your time, or someone elses time. You would be surprised how many legacy's i didnt even bother going to look at no matter what mod, or wheels they had because i knew i wouldnt want it, when it came down too it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I don't care about wheels, mods are nice, but other than exhaust and a BOV, not a draw for me. I want a 5spd, good paint, low miles, and mechanically sound. As far as those requirements go, this white one is the last one available in AZ right now. I'm patient to a point, but will know more after I drive it.

The 2005's are prone to having a lot of things go bad on the turbo. People experience turbos that get starved from oil resulting in the shaft to shift and the turbo basically kills itself. Once that happens, you gotta go through the entire block and get all the turbo blade shavings out. If I were you, I'd just get the turbo replaced asap. Most people see their turbos go out around 60k. (Or at least that's what I can tell by other people on the forums)

• Moderators
The 2005's are prone to having a lot of things go bad on the turbo. People experience turbos that get starved from oil resulting in the shaft to shift and the turbo basically kills itself. Once that happens, you gotta go through the entire block and get all the turbo blade shavings out. If I were you, I'd just get the turbo replaced asap. Most people see their turbos go out around 60k. (Or at least that's what I can tell by other people on the forums)

Nice first post, chicken little...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The starvation of oil is not an issue reserved for the 2005 or even just the Legacy turbo charger.

Not to mention the cause of the issue not being the turbos problem. The in line filter put in place by subaru can possibly plug causing decreased oil flow. Unchecked it seems some vehicles were around 60,000 miles. 2005's are just fine, just be cautious with any vehicle and have it checked over.

The prices do not sound crazy at all. Subaru's have one of the lowest depreciation in the auto market. They are not mass produced so they only build what they feel whichever that year they could reasonably sell. This can not be new to you having owned the WRX that just got wrecked. Why are you looking at LegacyGT's instead of imprezas ? Wrx's can be had for the price point you are looking at.

Because I had a WRX, and those are even less common in stock form. And actually no, they all are asking $15k for the ones with low miles. I like the legacy it's more car for the money. A car is worth what it is worth, not some inflated number. For example the guy with the white one paid with 100k paid $10,500 in June. The car needs $1000 worth of work so how can he ask $10k still considering what he paid.... The car doesn't magically go up in value as the miles do

Check Kelly blue book. For values to set a base, keep in mind that is what some of these or all of these guys are doing is basing their asking price on the private party value from KBB.

And then look at what mileage vs year you are looking for. A 2005 with an average of 10,000 miles per year that would be at about 70,000 miles right now. But I drive about 20,000 miles a year, so my car would have 140,000 miles if I had owned it since day one.

And the repair issue, I don't know their specific situation, but it sounds like they need the money. That doesnt mean its a good deal, you are looking at the car, overall whatever deal finally works out for you should be a car that you feel confident was worth the money you spend.

But I would look at a few high mileage ones. I know that subaru makes great cars, and a lot of us love our cars. Your best deal may be with higher mileage on a well taken care of vehicle rather than a low mileage one that some one can not afford to repair.

F skinny jeans. Dumbest thing ever along with SnapBack hats lol. I need a legacy so bad. There is only one left in phx right now with 5MT dude wants $10k and it needs timing belt and CV axles installed(105k miles). I'd pay $9k due to the work and he won't budge.

Drove a 1990 IROC z28 tonight just for S&Gs, and made me want the LGT even more lol!

So after driving a S4 audi(omg amazing! $1000 more a year to insure so that's out), and considering the white LGT 5MT and trolling the web all over the country I may make a deal on the white one.

What do you guys think:

2005 LGT 5MT 105k miles SWP with black cloth

Cobb up and down pipe, access port(needs cable), upgraded sway bars and brake lines, a single mass flywheel instead of the dual(he said it improved the driveability?) new clutch, new power steering pump, needs timing belt and Cv axles installed (he has the axles already just not installed on car yet) plasti dipped black stock wheels, and I think that's it. Car is immaculate. One minor chip and a small scratch and interior is perfect.

Dealer inspection in June noted clutch and power steering, no other major issues I saw

He wants $10k.

Pic:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/08/va3u3apu.jpg

If I were to travel to a car in say Denver or even LA(I am in Phx) the money spent would make the car have to be really cheap or really low mileage to make a difference right?

Thanks again for all the input, I think this may be the car...

Archived