LegacyGT.com

Gates Kevlar belt ripped with less than 15k miles :(

Thanks guys.

Worse comes to worse. lets Say a ring land has cracked in #4. Would I be better off getting a new shortblock, or just getting new rings/ pistons and slight honing ? The shop said they have done countless honing w/ no reliability issues and its much cheaper. I'm just concerned because I don't want to choose honing and see a increase in oil consumption down the road.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rebuild it. You can build it better, stronger, faster than before.

Honestly, rebuild it. Cost for an OEM shortblock is too high and you still have the crappy pistons.

Oh god yes rebuild it. Do not buy a a OEM short block

Why??? No really why? Being still fresh to subarus I am really curious. Seeing shit my friends pulled through with build motors that run like ****** diesel trucks and in general not expecting more than 50k out of them....? For stock or close to stock power or say under 300whp.....what's wrong with oem short block? I am asking as a happy owner of a stage 1 stock car with 85k on the clock, great compression on all 4, no oil consumption what so ever and ....knock on the wood, great running stock engine.

Why??? No really why? Being still fresh to subarus I am really curious. Seeing shit my friends pulled through with build motors that run like ****** diesel trucks and in general not expecting more than 50k out of them....? For stock or close to stock power or say under 300whp.....what's wrong with oem short block? I am asking as a happy owner of a stage 1 stock car with 85k on the clock, great compression on all 4, no oil consumption what so ever and ....knock on the wood, great running stock engine.

Because all you need is a decent set of pistons. The pistons are the weakest link in the motor. Using an OEM shortblock will add approx $600+ dollars to a "rebuild". Then you still have the OEM pistons and more.

A well assembled motor will last more than 50k even with forged pistons. If the motors you are used to ran poorly and did not last they were either a misapplication for the use or possibly poorly built/assembled.

1 out of every 12-15 motors we build end up using an OEM shortblock.

Still cheaper to rebuild than to buy new. Not saying you "need" to build it. But in the end it is cheaper. So, why not save some coin and have a stronger overall product? Most owners looking to rebuild are already in the 100k range. Most wont keep the cars another 100k. There is no increase in resale value for a OEM shortblock rebuild over a standard rebuild.

Save the money. That is my point.

ok stock shortblock is what ...$1,900 ish?? How much are you guys charging for rebuilding shortblock...parts, labor. Price out the door please. Assuming heads are ok. My engine is in perfect conditions so not sure if I should have that conversation right now :)

I'm stage 3. Everything bolt on is aftermarket, so I'll go the rebuilt route if need to be. Right now I'm figuring out where to go from here. Completely strip the engine down to bare long block, pull engine and deliver engine to shop or just tow the car and let them worry about it.

Lets say pistons are needed, you guys are saying not to go with oem but something better. Like what brand, and should I do over-sized ones ?

Wisco's, or CP's seem to be the choice for imports.

My machine shop buddy told me if I didn't want a built bottom end, just buy a new EJ257, he can't rebuild a stock EJ for that price with everything new.

I ordered the EJ257 and had them install the ARP head studs after the did the heads. They also borrowed the cam gear tools from the dealer when needed. They do an lot of work for the local car dealers.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Given that it had a Gates kit in it, the question remains, who installed it and did they properly torque the WP bolts when it was installed?

Whatever you decide, good luck with your engine.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Given that it had a Gates kit in it, the question remains, who installed it and did they properly torque the WP bolts when it was installed?

Whatever you decide, good luck with your engine.

I did and used a cheapo torque wrench. who knew this would bite me in the ass two years later.

Passenger Camshaft intake pulley - 13320AA001

Passenger Camshaft exhaust pulley - 13049AA041

More camshaft info here

Timing Belt Cover

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366495102202.png

Cover Belt No. 1, (front) Right - 13572AA092

Cover Belt No. 2, (rear) Right - 13573AA131

Cover Belt (Center) Front - 13570AA044

Cover Belt No. 1 (front) Left - 13574AA094

Cover Belt No. 2 (rear) Left - 13575AA130

More part numbers for bolts and seals here

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My standard shop rate for an engine build = $3995. Out the door.

Includes:

CP or Wiseco Pistons (I prefer CP and try to sway customers that way)

ARP head stud kit

11mm STi oil pump

OEM T-stat

OEM complete engine gasket kit

Gates Racing Timing belt/water pump kit (TCKWP328RB with the blue racing belt)

Bore/hone

ACL main bearings

ACL rod bearings

Assemble shortblock

Assemble long block

Recondition heads/3 angle valve cut

Assemble heads/set lash

NGK Iridium plugs

OEM oil filter

Rotella T-6 oil

OEM coolant and conditioner

OEM ACC belts

All bolts and plugs are fresh cadmium plated or replaced.

Add h beam rods for $400 more.

Add new 1 piece S/S valves (OEM size) for $200 more.

My standard rate to rebuild using a new OEM shortblock is at least $600 more.

My standard shop rate for an engine build = $3995. Out the door.

Includes:

CP or Wiseco Pistons (I prefer CP and try to sway customers that way)

ARP head stud kit

11mm STi oil pump

OEM T-stat

OEM complete engine gasket kit

Gates Racing Timing belt/water pump kit (TCKWP328RB with the blue racing belt)

Bore/hone

ACL main bearings

ACL rod bearings

Assemble shortblock

Assemble long block

Recondition heads/3 angle valve cut

Assemble heads/set lash

NGK Iridium plugs

OEM oil filter

Rotella T-6 oil

OEM coolant and conditioner

OEM ACC belts

All bolts and plugs are fresh cadmium plated or replaced.

Add h beam rods for $400 more.

Add new 1 piece S/S valves (OEM size) for $200 more.

My standard rate to rebuild using a new OEM shortblock is at least $600 more.

That sounds about right, from what my buddy who owns the machine shop was saying.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived