LegacyGT.com

Gates Kevlar belt ripped with less than 15k miles :(

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gates is the OEM supplier of timing belts to Subaru.

Care to run that by Mitsuboshi?

Please tell me that Gates recently struck up a contract with Subaru...since Mitsuboshi has been supplying their belts forever.

As a vendor, you should know this. And, as a vendor, I assume that you know something that I do not.

Please elaborate.

I don't doubt it gates is the tbelt supplier to many car manufactures. Also the tensioner from Subaru and gates are supplied by the same company. As well as the idlers. Pretty sure the water pump is as well but I can't remember for sure.

Gates doesn't make their water pumps, they farm them out to Chinese manufacturers as do most companies selling timing belt kits.

Look for an Aisin if you can.

Care to run that by Mitsuboshi?

Please tell me that Gates recently struck up a contract with Subaru...since Mitsuboshi has been supplying their belts forever.

As a vendor, you should know this. And, as a vendor, I assume that you know something that I do not.

Please elaborate.

What's with the attacks? No need to be an asshat in this thread. GTFO!

My wife's balls are delicious.

There is no problem with questioning sprank comment but there are ways to do it.

But yes I am aware gates does not make their own water pumps I never stated that they did. I stated that I believed that the gates kit and oem came from the same company.

I work in the auto industry I understand that most components are contracted out. You can't tell me that an auto manufacture makes every single component on the car.

Gates water pump is Chinese farmed. Not OEM.

ACC belts are supplied by Mitsubishi.

A pic of a Gates Timing kit box for a Subaru. Note the "OE Components" tag (this kit does not contain the water pump).

20130510_184345.thumb.jpg.9349b26b87b5810a13e802ce665f4c86.jpg

Just in case no one else has paid attention, the part numbers on the "Mitsubishi" ACC belts are Gates part numbers. It would make logical sense that Gates is contracted by Mitsu to produce the belts sold under their name. Gates does have a Japanese division located in Japan.

Many, many products sold under many many names are all produced by a limited number of manufactures.

I think each reseller, does add their own variation to the belt, i.e., the blue or black finish (don't know whether it's paint or not) and also don't know whether this is to enhance longevity, or to make them quiet-er, but it's there.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Most likely because none of my valves were bent. Had no symthoms of burning oil, bad mpg, or odd noises. Looking back, airboy dyno and virtual dyno did show pretty low hp reading (at least for an 18g) when I was getting tuned at the time.

If I had to guess the source of the problem, it would have been around the time I discovered my fpr line disconnected a month before my belt popped. I think that may have something to do with it, then again my afr ratio was always spot on in boost. Maybe it was just aged at 120k.

Long story short. You may be driving on a bad cylinder and not know it :spin:

In the meantime. I'm at 6k with the new motor, amsoil synth and just got back from a 3 hour spirited driving trip.

I'm in the same boat with you adam, had a crack ringland and didn't realized it until I did my head gasket change. I was losing at least 1 quart of oil ever month, but yet the car was still running strong. When I notice the hair line crack on the edge of the piston, I knew it was time to pull the motor and rebuilt it. Now with the new motor and new forged CP pistons, I notice a difference in power and no oil consumption.

btw - thanks adam for the advice when I was doing my new motor.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 3 months later...

Knock on wood. Still going great with my motor.

Actually in the middle of another tune after an actuator install. I think this makes my 4th tune in 6 months.

I did recently replace my ocv's and rebuilt my chra.

Swapped to T6 oil and see how I like it seeing how its 1/3 the cost of amsoil. I rather change more often if I spend the money.

Knock on wood. Still going great with my motor.

Actually in the middle of another tune after an actuator install. I think this makes my 4th tune in 6 months.

I did recently replace my ocv's and rebuilt my chra.

Swapped to T6 oil and see how I like it seeing how its 1/3 the cost of amsoil. I rather change more often if I spend the money.

Lucky duck!

Archived