LegacyGT.com

Tool Set Recommendation!

Ahh... I just want to redo my suspension/brakes, and get my car to stage 2. Then I probably wont use the tools again, maybe to get the ground terminal off battery or oil change? I'm the computer guy, but my friends who will be helping me do all the work said get some tools. So I said, ok. I have a mortgage and student loans to pay off, investing in something that will sit nice and shiny in my garage for 360 out of 365 days of the year or will probably end up in my friends garage seems like a bad investment. If I can spend 150-200 on all the tools I need to get it done, then why spend 300-500 for the same result, I could by another car part with the difference, which I will get proper usage from. I understand the concept of good tools, but i'm not building a house or reinventing the wheel. Just doing some upgrades.

But I do have a sears 10 minutes from me, so that may be the best bet in terms of getting replacements.

1/2" Torque Wrench

1/2" Ratchet

1/2" Shallow Socket set ranging from 8mm-24mm

1/2" Extensions, various lengths, swivel types

3/8" Ratchet

3/8" Shallow Socket set ranging from 8mm-24mm

3/8" Deep Socket set ranging from 8mm-24mm

3/8" Extensions, various lengths, swivel types

-Spark plug socket

-Set of open/closed ended wrenches (8mm to 24mm)

-Set of allen wrenches (Metric)

-Brake caliper compressor (if you intend to do brakes)

-Various sizes of philipps and flat head screw drivers

-Breaker bar

-Reliable floor jack which has a lift higher than 13"(I picked up a good one from Costco)

-Jack stands

-Ramps to drive your car up on

-Magnetic tray to hold your bolts, washers, nuts in a single place. Helps you keep parts in one place so you don't spend 30 minutes trying to find where you put that nut.

-Eye protection. There have been tons of times where I've been under the car and road grime/sand comes off and gets in my eye.

I think zero287's list covered everything listed minus the tq wrench, allen wrenches, spark plug socket and screw drivers.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of what you list for tools are in the kits from Sears.

For pushing the piston in on the calpiers, I have always used a 8" C clamp. It has other uses too.

Harbor Fright has them as well as a lot of places.

We just stumbled on to this place that sells all kinds of used stuff in a old mill. They have lots of used tools and power tools too, it's a short walk from the house.

It's like a big tag sale.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would think once might be ok, worst case, put a fan by it to keep it cooler.

But there again, for the price difference, if you plan to use it for a life time, pay the extra up front.

I would think "once might be okay" means that the oilless is not appropriate for me.

EDIT: I have an oilless pancake compressor that needs replacement. Looking for an upright with more capacity instead of linking the pancake to a external tank. That will just burn it out the rest of the way fast.

I would think "once might be okay" means that the oilless is not appropriate for me.

EDIT: I have an oilless pancake compressor that needs replacement. Looking for an upright with more capacity instead of linking the pancake to a external tank. That will just burn it out the rest of the way fast.

True, the pancake ones seem to be fine for building a house but if you plan to run air grinders, paint gun's, car stuff. your better off with oil compressor.

Northern Tools is another good source for them. I have bought a lot of things from them over the years.

You may want to check out tooltopia.com I think it was, I got my K-D slide hammer from them. Not sure what they have for compressors.

Do the web search for them and you may find a coupon.

http://www.tooltopia.com/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

^why is that important? SCFM is what is going to drive your tools not PSI. A lot of guys may be running their air tools at 150psi instead of ~90-110 because they don't have the CFM to drive the tool. I could get a tank and boost it up and drive some tools but I want the SCFM that drives them properly instead of having an initial very hard "hit" that will break things free, possibly inside my cheap air tools:lol:

SCFM is like how big your pipe is. The bigger the number, the bigger the pipe. The bigger the pipe, the more air you can move at a given PSI...just like water (or like amps). You will notice that air tools have a SCFM consumption rating on them. The low the number, the more efficient the tool is compared to a like tool with a higher SCFM rating at the same PSI. Ideally you don't want your compressor kicking on every five minutes for example. Having a larger tank, larger SCFM and efficient tools all help with this. And sweet Jesus, I love air tools!

To the op, the tools aren't bad but I bet the plastic tool chest is garbage. I'm also biased, I work at The Home Depot. I buy tools as I need/want them. You can never go wrong with a breaker bar and some good sockets. I feel like buying individual tools or small specific sets is the way to go bc in most cases you will get higher quality stuff and only the things you need. Good luck, have fun.

• I Donated

This is one of the situations where you can spend a little or a lot and still get the same results. But how much you spend will impact your enjoyment of working on the car. A $25 socket set from HF and the HF corded electric impact will do the job 99% of the time, but other tools will definitely make it easier to do stuff.

My favorite non-obvious tools:

-- HF telescoping 1/2" drive ratchet (basically a ratchet and breaker bar in one)

-- ratcheting box ends

-- high-torque screwdrivers (basically, ones with really fat handles)

-- BFH (I have a nice HF sledge that is small enough to get into most small spaces, but super heavy)

-- self adjusting wire strippers

-- If I had a decent one, I'd love using my air ratchet, but I cheaped out and the one I got is pretty much useless :spin:

-- My tire filling attachment, which includes a pressure gauge (SO useful!)

I have the 260-piece Craftsman kit. Sears semi-frequently has it on sale for $150-200. Three drawers (one each for 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive tools) plus space in the top to store additional stuff. I stored about 80% of my tools in it when I was still living with my parents.

My only fear with a plastic tool box is, what happens when it sits in the sun or is stored in a shed where the temps can get 100F and you go to pick it up and it weight's 40lbs or more.

Earlier I hinted at getting the big craftsman tool kit that dose not come with a tool box. You can store the tools in cheap containers until you can buy a good enough tool box.

The cheap containers then can be used for other things.

I also like the new ratchet box wrench sets that come with there own storage tray that hangs on nails in the shed.

• I Donated
My only fear with a plastic tool box is, what happens when it sits in the sun or is stored in a shed where the temps can get 100F and you go to pick it up and it weight's 40lbs or more.

Earlier I hinted at getting the big craftsman tool kit that dose not come with a tool box. You can store the tools in cheap containers until you can buy a good enough tool box.

The cheap containers then can be used for other things.

I also like the new ratchet box wrench sets that come with there own storage tray that hangs on nails in the shed.

My tools sit in one place about 99.9% of the time. I rarely move the boxes. My socket set sits on my workbench, and pretty much everything else goes in my Craftsman 3-piece chest, which never moves. If I need a tool, I walk across the garage to where it is.

The craftsman sets are fine if you buy them through sears so you can get replacements when they break (and they will, eventually).

Agreed.

Picked up a Craftsman 192-pc set a few weeks ago for $139. It's normally $199; sale brought the price way down.

Although the 192 pieces includes like two million different allen keys, which is kinda dumb.

My plastic Craftsman storage container has held up without issues in 100+ degree weather in a shed. It's definitely not crap. I'd prefer a metal tool cabinet instead but this does the job just fine. Especially when I need to tote it around to help buddies.

• 2 weeks later...

So for the price, lifetime warranty and frequency of use, plus its 10 minutes from my house, I opted the harbor freight route. I do have a sears in area, but a lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty, it breaks I get a new one.

Still trying to figure out which tq wrench would be best? Craftsman has 3 types, dr. beam $22, micro-clicker $72 and dr digi-click $90 and 2 sizes for each 3/8 and 1/2 all fit my price range having only spent 70 dollars so far.

• I Donated
The Harbor Freight warranty is apparently much more of a pain to use than the Craftsman one. I think you have to mail in the broken tools for HF. For the Craftsman one, just show up at Sears with the broken tool and they'll give you a replacement right off the shelf, (usually) no questions asked.

I just bring every hand tool that I break from Harbor Freight back into the store and they do the exchange right then and there. No receipt, no hassle. I've broken a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter, ball ended hex sockets, 1/2" torque wrench (use it for tires, broke it on my rear trailing arms - oops. Oddly kind of accurate compared against my beam style tq wrench).

My sockets and wrenches are craftsman though. I haven't had any issue exchanging under warranty in store at HF for the other stuff.

• I Donated
I just bring every hand tool that I break from Harbor Freight back into the store and they do the exchange right then and there. No receipt, no hassle. I've broken a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter, ball ended hex sockets, 1/2" torque wrench (use it for tires, broke it on my rear trailing arms - oops. Oddly kind of accurate compared against my beam style tq wrench).

My sockets and wrenches are craftsman though. I haven't had any issue exchanging under warranty in store at HF for the other stuff.

Good to know. I have a couple of broken tools from them that I need to exchange, then.

Archived