LegacyGT.com

Tool Set Recommendation!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so "buy garbage that you can take back" is a responsible attitude? what is the real economic impact of filling our landfills, exporting our pollution to developing countries, or maiming or killing workers in slave labor factories overseas?

I buy quality because it is the responsible thing to do, my socket set is crapsman, but my ratchets are snap on or proto, some things you just can't skimp on. (my snap on 3/8" drive was my grandfathers :p )

I would also ask, how much is your time worth? With McMaster-Carr in 5 minutes you can find and order any tool, fastener, or anything else you need, it gets shipped to your door, no problem. Or spend however much time, drive however many miles, go to "Garbage tools r us" spend time searching though garbage, get no help from minimum-wage-slaves, slog back home, have tool break, repeat.

I don't know how you calculate things, but if anybody did the cost breakdown, I doubt you could drive a LGT for much less than a dollar a mile, I would rather spend those miles on back roads, than trudging to buy mediocre tools.

I do agree with the craftsman thought, wait for a sale, 10 years ago, I bought a craftsman set for 200$ that has taken care of most my needs.

i guess we are all at lunch, so we can flame at each other a little :wub:

so "buy garbage that you can take back" is a responsible attitude? what is the real economic impact of filling our landfills, exporting our pollution to developing countries, or maiming or killing workers in slave labor factories overseas?

I buy quality because it is the responsible thing to do, my socket set is crapsman, but my ratchets are snap on or proto, some things you just can't skimp on. (my snap on 3/8" drive was my grandfathers :p )

I would also ask, how much is your time worth? With McMaster-Carr in 5 minutes you can find and order any tool, fastener, or anything else you need, it gets shipped to your door, no problem. Or spend however much time, drive however many miles, go to "Garbage tools r us" spend time searching though garbage, get no help from minimum-wage-slaves, slog back home, have tool break, repeat.

I don't know how you calculate things, but if anybody did the cost breakdown, I doubt you could drive a LGT for much less than a dollar a mile, I would rather spend those miles on back roads, than trudging to buy mediocre tools.

I do agree with the craftsman thought, wait for a sale, 10 years ago, I bought a craftsman set for 200$ that has taken care of most my needs.

i guess we are all at lunch, so we can flame at each other a little :wub:

I feel like you have had terrible experiences driving to stores, wasting gas, wasting your time looking for tools, and then apparently breaking them.

Keep ordering everything online and see where that puts the economy.

And lets be honest, in a bind, we all use most of our tools improperly and yes, they are going to break. Warranty is warranty, so if you choose to spend $200 on a ratchet from snap-on, or $50 from craftsman, do as you please.

I can tighten a bolt just well with my craftsman.

(My favorite tool is this one tho------ http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=634146&group_ID=675083&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog )

I have been buying tools for 20 years. Granted, I don't have a lot but will say that a good set of Craftman tools will last until you loose them. Deep and shallow sockets, 3/8 and 1/2 are good. The set you picked out looks like a nice set with a nice tool box to go with it. You can, and you probably will, always add more to the toolbox until you need a bigger one. :)

I will say, I recently put in a 60 gallon, 3 HP air compressor and bought a Impact wrench that came with a 3/8 air ratchet. With it I picked up a metric set of deep impact sockets from sears. O-M-G, I wish I could have got them 20 years ago. I love my air tools and plan on expanding my air tool collection as soon as I can (once the bank account recovers). I even told my dad that the Father-Son talk we had when I moved out at 18 really just needed to be, "Son, what ever you do, buy yourself a good set of air tools, you will no regret it!" :) I realize that cost, noise, and storage may be an issue, but the air tools have been by far the best luxury tool item I have ever bought.

~Cheers~

I have been buying tools for 20 years. Granted, I don't have a lot but will say that a good set of Craftman tools will last until you loose them. Deep and shallow sockets, 3/8 and 1/2 are good. The set you picked out looks like a nice set with a nice tool box to go with it. You can, and you probably will, always add more to the toolbox until you need a bigger one. :)

^ This. Love my Craftman :wub:

OP, rather than buying a full set like most of us did, I advise you to get separate sets. Here is what you should buy:

Start here: http://www.harborfreight.com/#

Buy these:

-Ratchets

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-tool-sets/52-piece-socket-set-35338-568.html

-Offset Wrenches

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wrenches/8-piece-metric-offset-box-wrench-set-32042.html

-Ratcheting Wrenches

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wrenches/5-piece-metric-flex-head-combo-wrench-set-68953.html

-Breaker Bar

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/pry-bars/38-drive-17-breaker-bar-67931.html

-The all important through sockets

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-piece-saemetric-go-thru-socket-set-67974.html

Get a a decent torque wrench, not from harbor freight lol. This puts your total at $80. I can attest that though these tools are very cheap, they are reliable for their purposes. Don't try to break bolts with anything but the 6-point sockets in the ratcheting set. I've had all of these sets for many years now and through all of the tossing, hammering, and anger I've taken out on them they still function the same as when I got them. Granted, the socket set didn't function as well as other high-end craftsman sets simply due to the fact that they dont have as many teeth inside.

This set up is GREAT for a beginner, hell if I had the variation of tools here, my 4 hours jobs could have easily taken 1 hour. The things one does when he/she doesn't have offset wrenches with ratcheting wrenches.

I think I like this the best. I have a bunch of random sockets, and tools that have gotten me by so far. But I'm going to tackle the lower control arm bushings, rear wheel hub, sway bars & endlinks, struts, rotors/pads, valve cover gasket, turbo, injectors, fuel pump, up and downpipe in the near future.

I've been slowly stock piling parts, figured I should invest in the right tools to save myself the headaches while i'm at it. I have jack stands, jack, chocks, hydraulic press, rhino ramps and cans of liquid wrench, just need the proper sets of tools. The HF stuff has a warranty as well. And I like the added assortment as opposed to the standard set which I probably have half of in my box of random tools, nuts and screws.

Anyone have a recommendation on a tq wrench? And any other tools I may need to tackle those jobs listed above, like big sockets for wheel hub, or any other miscellaneous tools? My crank pulley used a 22mm or something, and I think the nut for wheel hub is fairly large as well, not sure what size.

I'm looking to invest up to $100-$150 dollars for a new set of tools to work on my car. Anyone have any recommendations for something that has a lot of what I need to get a lot of work done on a 2005 lgt?

Whats so hard to understand about a low frequency of use not generally breaking cheap tools? Next time be forum savvy and give advice that is actually what the OP asked for.;)

Tools barely used will last generations too btw.:lol:

I buy quality because it is the responsible thing to do

Maybe you should make a thread is about why you buy tools and are a responsible? Be sure to put it in the political subforum since apparently this is a political issue for you. :cool:

I have been using Sears for most of my tools for the past 40 years or so. Other then the 32mm or 1 1/4" socket for the axle nut the biggest socket you'll need is a 21 for the crankshaft bolt.

That sears set your looking at is a good starter kit. If you don't need the tool box right away, I think they have a 254 piece kit for a good price too.

Look in the Sears ad in the weekend paper.

Or stop by the store.

I do have the shorty box end ratchet combo wrench set from HF. A few of my impact socket sets came from there too.

For those with air compressors, I love my 3/8 butterfly ratchet from Big Lots for $24.00, should have bought it years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I dont think you belong with the BMW crowd. I think elitism does.

I think it can be hurtful to someone young to say that they are making a bad decision for buying what is in their budget instead of overspending for the future that may never happen. If someone doesn't know what they want, I certainly think they should go cheap and replace what they break with good stuff since they will apparently use it. Just seems fiscally sound. Hopefully by the time its broke, a couple years have gone by and more money is available.

I dont think you belong with the BMW crowd. I think elitism does.

I think it can be hurtful to someone young to say that they are making a bad decision for buying what is in their budget instead of overspending for the future that may never happen. If someone doesn't know what they want, I certainly think they should go cheap and replace what they break with good stuff since they will apparently use it. Just seems fiscally sound. Hopefully by the time its broke, a couple years have gone by and more money is available.

The only problem with that mind set and hand tools is, the fact that they may break at the wrong time. That can cause you personal injury.

How much is a busted knockle worth to you. There are a lot of newer names out there now, when I started out 40 years ago Craftsman was what was recommended and still is. As long as there is a Sears store around you, its easy to get a replacement for free.

I'm not saying only buy Craftsman, there are other great hand tools made too. It's just about convinence of getting a replacement.

I guess the HF tools have a replacement plan also ? I just never checked into it. I have some of those type tools, but they are not my "go to" first choice.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OP, rather than buying a full set like most of us did, I advise you to get separate sets. Here is what you should buy:

Start here: http://www.harborfreight.com/#

Buy these:

-Ratchets

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-tool-sets/52-piece-socket-set-35338-568.html

-Offset Wrenches

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wrenches/8-piece-metric-offset-box-wrench-set-32042.html

-Ratcheting Wrenches

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wrenches/5-piece-metric-flex-head-combo-wrench-set-68953.html

-Breaker Bar

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/pry-bars/38-drive-17-breaker-bar-67931.html

-The all important through sockets

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-piece-saemetric-go-thru-socket-set-67974.html

Get a a decent torque wrench, not from harbor freight lol. This puts your total at $80. I can attest that though these tools are very cheap, they are reliable for their purposes. Don't try to break bolts with anything but the 6-point sockets in the ratcheting set. I've had all of these sets for many years now and through all of the tossing, hammering, and anger I've taken out on them they still function the same as when I got them. Granted, the socket set didn't function as well as other high-end craftsman sets simply due to the fact that they dont have as many teeth inside.

This set up is GREAT for a beginner, hell if I had the variation of tools here, my 4 hours jobs could have easily taken 1 hour. The things one does when he/she doesn't have offset wrenches with ratcheting wrenches.

plus 1 but keep in mind cheep quality comes with the cheep price;)

Just because something is cheap doesn't always mean it's of the worst quality. I've abused all of these tools to find their breaking points (because their cheap) and still haven't replaced anything (I've whaled away with a hammer on the ratchet). Just because someone wants to make more of a profit than another doesn't mean his/her product is better.

A good example of this is in Services not only in Products. E.g. Subaru charges 1000+ for a T-belt job, while local Subaru Performance shops charge 400-600. Who do you trust more with your car?

The only difference in these parts for me is the gear mechanisms. I have snap-on tools along with these tools. While the snap-on tools are better for tighter situations, these are amazing at everything else. OP just get the tools, if you need replacements that aren't covered under the warranty (I believe all are), I'll replace them, especially since I have a Harbor Freight within 10 minutes of my house.

If you want forged tools then just buy them here: http://www.kokenusa.com/index.php

Koken is really the best "quality" in my opinion. They definitely come at a high price though.

This is the tool kit that I started out with. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-255-pc-mechanics-tool-set-with-lift/p-00935255000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7 The kit is overkill for the work you'll do on your car.

From my experience, you should purchase 6 point sockets over 12 point sockets. I have better success with not rounding edges using 6 point sockets.

Here is a good checklist for you. The tools below will help you get just about ANY job done you need to on the Subie. There are some specialty tools you may want to add for specific jobs like O2 sensor socket, T70 socket, etc. but you shouldn't buy them until you plan to use them. Also, you really only need metric sized tools working on the Subaru.

1/2" Torque Wrench

1/2" Ratchet

1/2" Shallow Socket set ranging from 8mm-24mm

1/2" Extensions, various lengths, swivel types

3/8" Ratchet

3/8" Shallow Socket set ranging from 8mm-24mm

3/8" Deep Socket set ranging from 8mm-24mm

3/8" Extensions, various lengths, swivel types

-Spark plug socket

-Set of open/closed ended wrenches (8mm to 24mm)

-Set of allen wrenches (Metric)

-Brake caliper compressor (if you intend to do brakes)

-Various sizes of philipps and flat head screw drivers

-Breaker bar

-Reliable floor jack which has a lift higher than 13"(I picked up a good one from Costco)

-Jack stands

-Ramps to drive your car up on

-Magnetic tray to hold your bolts, washers, nuts in a single place. Helps you keep parts in one place so you don't spend 30 minutes trying to find where you put that nut.

-Eye protection. There have been tons of times where I've been under the car and road grime/sand comes off and gets in my eye.

And don't forget your most important tool of all... VACATION PICS

^I think you mean 6-point sockets <3

I also think that eye protection can't be stressed enough. I can't count the number of time when dirt/rust fell straight onto my safety glasses. It only takes one experience to learn that you should never do work under a car without safety glasses.

^I think you mean 6-point sockets <3

I also think that eye protection can't be stressed enough. I can't count the number of time when dirt/rust fell straight onto my safety glasses. It only takes one experience to learn that you should never do work under a car without safety glasses.

Good point! I fix0red it. plus I bold EYE PROTECTION!

Archived