LegacyGT.com

Tool Set Recommendation!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^I think you mean 6-point sockets <3

I also think that eye protection can't be stressed enough. I can't count the number of time when dirt/rust fell straight onto my safety glasses. It only takes one experience to learn that you should never do work under a car without safety glasses.

This^^^^ While wearing a full face shield (but not safety glasses) i got a piece of metal in my eye which developed into a rust spot which had to be removed. Think giant needle going into your eye to numb it then a dremel tool drilling out the rust spot.

Totally irelavant to this thread but i thought i'd share.

You need to spend more time under the car :lol:

I've spent plenty of hours under the car and have never needed one. I've done just about everything except for dropping the motor or tranny. Did it all without a 1/2" deep socket

I've spent plenty of hours under the car and have never needed one. I've done just about everything except for dropping the motor or tranny. Did it all without a 1/2" deep socket

Are you guy's talking about a 1/2" socket being used on a car with all metric bolts, or did someone miss-speak and mean 1/2" drive ratchet ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The only deep 1/2" drive socket I use is a 19mm for the lug nuts and lock tool with my Ray's nuts, due to their position in the wheel and ensuring the torque wrench clears the lip of the wheel with enough room for my hand to hold on while torquing.

The only deep 1/2" drive socket I use is a 19mm for the lug nuts and lock tool with my Ray's nuts, due to their position in the wheel and ensuring the torque wrench clears the lip of the wheel with enough room for my hand to hold on while torquing.

I use 3/4" sockets for the lug nut's. I have a 1/2" drive you for the impact to remove the lugs, a 3/8" drive socket for the butterfly impact gun I use to run them on and a 1/2" drive deep socket on a 3" extension for the torque wrench. The two normal sockets are deeper then most so the inside of the socket dosen't contact the crown on the oem lug nuts.

I rotated my tires last night in about 20 minutes, using two floor jacks.

Yea, I have to many tools...:)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

That reminds me, I need to rotate my tires. Forgot to do that while changing my oil.

Oh and I've had good luck with my craftsmen tools. Also helps sears is right down the road from me. I do like my harbor freight jack, have a craftsman one as well.

You can never have too many tools!

I can't ever do a rotation that quick because I end up detailing the back of my wheels when they are off and putting some wax on them :spin:

I'm working on my collection, and in a year or so, want to add air tools to the arsenal. I've just been getting the stuff I need after the basics for now. Still need a compressor and rolling toolbox which I'm hoping my S.O. gets me for Christmas :p

I recommend the sear black compressors. My black one is much quieter than my red sears. You stand next to the black one and talk to someone when its running, the red one, "forget about it" !

I would supect that any small oil one makes less noise than the oiless compressors.

I'm highly against air compressors now after I saw what this thing can do: http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/am-en/products/tools/Iqv-cordless-tools/iqv20-series-cordless-tools/w7150-1-2-20v-high-torque-impactool

It's cheaper than a gun/compressor combo if you think about it too.

Its not remotely cheaper once a battery is done keeping a charge. Its not remotely cheaper once you realize you wish you had a 3/8 airdrive or grinder, or, or, or... You missed everything you can do with an air compressor. Running a 1/2" impact is the least of its abilities. Oh but you want it at the track? Thats great. $50 portable airtank and you can change tire pressure too.

Max was saying something about busting knuckles with cheap tools. :rolleyes: GTFO. If you don't have basic tool skills you are going to have busted knuckles no matter what you use, right?;)

LOL. I guess I forgot that fact that I have all of the other tools. Maybe if I bought an air compressor in the first place.....facepalm.

Even a corded tool has nothing on a air driven tool IMHO. Cordless? Not for real heavy jobs without multiple batteries.

FWIW, my buddy's Snap-On electric impact would not break loose the rusty lug bolts on his Audi.

He drove the car over to my place and the impact gun had no problem. I think as long as the threads are new and not rusty you'd be ok.

Electric impacts are for California cars no older than 2000. Nothing electric was going to get my '99 Durango apart that spent a lot of time in the NEast.

I think we covered the original topic pretty well. MaxC, whats your opinion on OIL-LESS compressors?

LOUD at least the red craftsman's are, they say since I bought mine about 2004 they have gotten quieter, I have not heard a newer one.

The black ones are more money but if you want very low noise, its worth every penny.

I would think once might be ok, worst case, put a fan by it to keep it cooler.

But there again, for the price difference, if you plan to use it for a life time, pay the extra up front.

Archived