LegacyGT.com

Tool Set Recommendation!

While I was in the store, I noticed they actually make quality tools, not the 51 piece on this list, but they do offer some sears quality tools in their Pittsburgh line. I'm a huge fan of the thru-sockets and ratcheting wrenches! Thanks again for the info everyone! My swaybars, endlinks and wheel bearing were all installed without a hitch.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah bro. HF ftw.

Oh btw, I decided to buy this after all...=D

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/lpg/w7150/

Let the nut-busting torque begin.

I shall report my findings after I work on my car.

Good luck & I have no regrets for buying mine. Been using my Snap-on for over 5yrs. with on problems. It has never failed to remove any bolt/nut on the LGT. Like lug nut, axle nut & suspension nut & bolts on a full charge. Mine came with two batteries & by time you use up one, the charging system as the other battery ready to go.

Compared with others I tried. The Snap-on impact hammer spins a little slower, but hits harder. Lug nut torque at 100ft.lbs. spins off in about 2 hits of the impact hammer. Less then 30sec. you can spin 5 lugs off & remove the tire.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=all&item_ID=648625&group_ID=682064&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Thanks! This is supposedly better than the snap-on, it boasts about being the world

s strongest, but I'll wait to see. I really didn't want to have to buy a compressor and the such so this seemed like the best option despite what most die hard air fans say. Electricity is pretty powerful if applied correctly.

I have the HF electric impact, was very skeptical, but for less than 100 (had a 20% coupon) it works well. Only thing it couldn't take off in short measure was my rear lca bolts, but I could barely break them free with a huge breaker bar.

Spun off my cv axle nut (still crimped) in about 5 seconds. Batteries for it are only 15 too

I'm not impressed with cordless. But I'm old school and have air tools. Cordless may be good for small things but for something like lug nuts on a DD I'm not to thrilled.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated

I used a couple of cordless impacts for my engine rebuild on my 05 (I think they were both Snap-Ons). They were at the shop where I was doing the rebuild. Nice tools. There was only one bolt I had to go to air tools to use, and they were a lot simpler to use than air tools.

I'm not sure I would use them for lug nuts of axle nuts, either. But for smaller stuff, they were great.

BTW, can anyone recommend a good air ratchet that's reasonably cheap? Mine sucks.

It blows off the lug nuts easily. I definitely wouldn't use it to retorque them. This one is probably the most powerful cordless due to the fact that it's the only 20V one. All of the others are 18V. I wouldn't be hesitant to use this on strut bolts or anything of the sort. I have coilovers coming in a few weeks, I'll let you know how it goes.

The Install Consists of:

-Front Lower Strut Bolts

-Rear swaybar bolt

-Rear Control arm to Knuckle bolt

-Rear lower shock bolt

I'm definitely looking forward to it now.

Yeah, I look at that IR cordless impact you linked. Made me want one. 700+, right? That's over double the torque max mine has.

I used mine for my clutch job and cv axle replacement. They're just so convenient. Yours especially with that monster max torque!

^Exactly!

The only problem with a cordless impact is it doesn't fit well in tight spaces.
That's why they made swivel sockets and extensions =)

It's also roughly the same size of an air impact. So it'll go where an air impact goes.

It blows off the lug nuts easily. I definitely wouldn't use it to retorque them. This one is probably the most powerful cordless due to the fact that it's the only 20V one. All of the others are 18V. I wouldn't be hesitant to use this on strut bolts or anything of the sort. I have coilovers coming in a few weeks, I'll let you know how it goes.

The Install Consists of:

-Front Lower Strut Bolts

-Rear swaybar bolt

-Rear Control arm to Knuckle bolt

-Rear lower shock bolt

I'm definitely looking forward to it now.

Need to some Torque Extensions http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=675866&store=snapon-store to help with eliminating over torque. And Impact swivel http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=674981&store=snapon-store. Help to get into more places.

Mike

• I Donated
Need to some Torque Extensions http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=675866&store=snapon-store to help with eliminating over torque.

I have the HF versions of these. They don't seem to work very well. :( I end up using them and then having to torque the bolts down with a torque wrench. :(

I'm not impressed with cordless. But I'm old school and have air tools. Cordless may be good for small things but for something like lug nuts on a DD I'm not to thrilled.

:rolleyes: You trust me on Amsoil;) Buy doubt me on this :confused::rolleyes::spin::spin::spin::spin:;):lol:

Been using my Snap-on for over 5yrs. with on problems. It has never failed to remove any bolt/nut on the LGT. Like lug nut, axle nut & suspension nut & bolts on a full charge. Mine came with two batteries & by time you use up one, the charging system as the other battery ready to go.

Compared with others I tried. The Snap-on impact hammer spins a little slower, but hits harder. Lug nut torque at 100ft.lbs. spins off in about 2 hits of the impact hammer. Less then 30sec. you can spin 5 lugs off & remove the tire.

I have the HF versions of these. They don't seem to work very well. :( I end up using them and then having to torque the bolts down with a torque wrench. :(

Wait, so they don't apply enough torque or...?

The Torque Extensions help with eliminating over torque & breaking thing. Not set x torque. If you put on a 100ft.lbs.tq. Torque Extensions. It should not allow you to exceed 100ft.lbs.tq. You are always should check torque with a torque wrench. Impact tool are to help make the job easier & faster & nothing else.

Mike

Well, I did my brother's brakes today with the new impact. I must say, I am so glad I didn't listen to you airheads. This tool is revolutionary to say the least. It has more torque than needed for 9/10 jobs. I did the full brake job on all 4 corners and the battery was still at 4/4 bars.

To further test it, I decided to let it try and break loose the lower strut bolts. I took a video for you're viewing pleasure. Due note that the video was the first time I was seeing it try to break the bolt loose. The bolt wasn't loosened for roughly 60k miles. As you can tell by the pictures it's covered in strut grease as the strut is blown. That should give you a reference of the kind of condition the bolts tension is in.

Here it is:

Don't worry about the camber bolt changing its position, I marked it off and realigned it after I was finished.

Archived