LegacyGT.com

Thinking on jumping ship....

CL21376

I only see kw variant 3s on RCE website....how much are t2s?

...I inquired about this recently and Myles told me the Tarmac IIs aren't available anymore. The Tarmacs are custom valved KWs so V3s would be fine, other coilover options are Fortune Auto and BC.

We will probably be in a rear facing seat for awhile. My daughter is only 15 pounds and ~24" @ 1 year. And we are already talking about another.

...if you and your wife are thinking about another child I think that you'll miss the rear seat legroom of the Legacy, well as long as your kid(s) is(are) rear facing. My daughter is 1 as well and as you know the rear facing seat works like a charm in the Legacy along w/my little boy's (3) forward facing seat. If you do go w/a new ride the TL would likely be the more practical choice, but possibly less entertaining.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The G just had general interior quality and electrical issues. CD player / windows / seat were intermittent. Sunglass door cover broke off under normal use, leather wore through in 50k miles in the seats and steering wheel, etc.

Honestly, it seems like as far as that kind of thing goes the Legacy was of better quality. I haven't been in a newer model though, so I can't say if they are still the same.

Mechanically - the car was great except brake replacement every 10k miles which the dealer told me was "normal"

As far as BMW, there is no battery replacement that is over $150 and they typically last 7 years. I know from experience.

As far as BMW ergonomics go, it does seem as if they stopped really caring about ergonomics right around 2004 with the release of the e60 5 series which is sad, because the older ones were fantastic (imo) The other annoying thing is the trend of using better interior materials as the model ages. Very frustrating - why not just start off with the right material rather than putting it in at the end.

No manual in the IS? Really? :(

Sounds like that TL is looking pretty good then... ;)

...if you and your wife are thinking about another child I think that you'll miss the rear seat legroom of the Legacy, well as long as your kid(s) is(are) rear facing. My daughter is 1 as well and as you know the rear facing seat works like a charm in the Legacy along w/my little boy's (3) forward facing seat. If you do go w/a new ride the TL would like be the more practical choice, but possibly less entertaining.

I'm going to need to check that. It's nice that the rear facing seat fits without adjusting the front seats.

I had this debate before I purchased my lgt. I knew I wanted somewhat performance based sedan, the infiniti was to loud for my liking at speed and seemed "just under" in terms of interior size for what I liked. The bmw 3series I looked at 08-09-10years were awesome driving machines but the cost of maintence is what turned me off since I went into the situation knowing I'm.going to keep my car forever unless a crazy circumstance changed that. With being 24 I didny want to be like everyone arouns my part and own a bmw too. The acura tl really had me not only on looks bit it felt right in every way but was 8grand more than the lgt I bought. So I thought of it this way, buy the lgt and dump whatever amount of money I wanted to into it because of the cost difference I could take my.time.with it too. Now its more unique and I get the satisfaction of hard work/time I've put into it. Comparing it to other cars as of now I don't regret in anyway.

Only thing id say to do is put down the cars on paper and list what you liked the most on each one then whichever has the highest totaled column should be your choice. Sacrificies in certain areas may be worth it in another. Money doesn't seem to be an issue so id go with what makes you happy too cuz that's all that really matters for your family.

Yep, the IS350 is auto only. But the bad part is the fact that the car is tiny inside. Especially the back seat in the IS. And it is an old design by now, and the interior feels and looks dated (to me).

The TL is a FWD architecture that was converted to AWD... but it drives nicely in the SH-AWD trim. Those are hard to find and are pricey. But the steering is quick and precise. You also gain good leg room in the back seat over the G37(X).

Did you consider BC coilovers? They can be had for $950 and are both rebound and damping adjustable. I am on the fence about doing a suspension swap now, as I am afraid the ride will suffer too much. I have a 2yr boy and will have a newborn next month, so sports car stiffness is no longer desired. But would like more body control over stock.

I am not sure what else is out there for you to consider, if you want a fun sedan that is affordable, reliable, RWD/AWD and with a manual. Tough choice, but you might as well keep the LGT for now, put a grand or so into it and wait until better car options become available.

If you decide to sell, can I have your TMIC? =)

I know most people don't like the styling of the TL, but I saw for the first time a white TL with matching front grill and I thought it looked amazing (I LOVE WHITE CARS). I've seen quite a few white TL's with black grills and they looked 10x better than the standard chrome grill. If the TL wasn't so vastly more expensive at least comparing brand new cars, that would've been my first choice (SH-AWD with tech package).

I think the 3 series is a great car as long as it is within it's maintenance period. The issues I have heard with the current 3 series makes me afraid to keep that car for the long run. Although that car is quick with very few mods, durability is very important to me.

The G sedan is also a great car, but can't obtain a manual with AWD, so it was a non-starter for me. Also as someone mentioned, EVERYONE owns this car. I for one, like owning a car not many people have.

Of the cars mentioned the Acura is probably the best all around car. By the time you add awd on a bmw, it's 40K. Our closest bmw shop is an hour and half away and booked solid. Audi's are essentially fancy VW's with the same service problems, if not more.

Forget the suspension, the terrible mileage is why I would sell a LGT. That's one area they don't compete....okay the suspension isn't that great either.

Cars are like women, they all have faults and if you keep them long enough you'll find them. No car is perfect. Just like a woman pick the one that make you happy. I've had many cars. Bought some thinking I was making an improvement only to miss my old car once the newness wore off. Matter of fact that's how I got my legacy. I had a 2007 v8 4runner and loved it. Then saw a 2008 sequoia that was beautiful. I spent days thinking it over and considering that I have constant house guest and a growing family bought the sequoia. Drove it about a month and started missing my old 4runner. It didn't help that I work at a Toyota and would get all teary eyed when one like mine would come in. Then gas prices got high and my commute is 3 times longer than my wife's. So she started driving the sequoia and she fell in love with it which stuck me with a 2008 rx350. It was a great car but I'm a grease monkey and always felt out of place. After months of wearing my wife down I sold the Lexus and found my LGT. Sorry if this is a bit long but my point is you will always find fault but the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Cars are like women, they all have faults and if you keep them long enough you'll find them. No car is perfect. Just like a woman pick the one that make you happy. I've had many cars. Bought some think

Yep, and sometimes you don't know what you got until it's gone.

OP, I think this all depends on whether you like modifying a car or just want something that's complete. Some people buy expensive cars, and then there are people that buy a normal car and spend the difference making it something that's more custom and awesome. Personally, I picked Legacy GT over M3 and all those cars not because its better, not even close. But I wanted to use the money saved and make it my own thru mods. I'm really taking my time to research and enjoy this whole modding process instead of doing everything at once. So far it has been fun, finally getting wheels this weekend ;). So just decide what you really want to do and go for it. I don't like TL, but you'll be fine with a G37. I'd also check out Hyundai's Genesis 5.0-Rspec.

On the suspension, just go for coilovers. I'd get BC racing with Swift springs or just KW V3s. On your seats, just get it custom reupholstered or something.

I don't think the infinity's have enough room in them. The G37 seems small inside and the 56M should hang its head in shame. It makes the legacy seem cavernous in comparison and is no way a competitor to a 5 series bm as they say.

I'm.going to keep my car forever unless a crazy circumstance changed that. With being 24....

:lol: life is too short and there are too many good cars out there

Well from reading the RCE shocks thread, it surely can't be that long now that they have production dates?

Hopefully. I've been "in" on the shocks since since August 2010. 2+ years with the crappy stock suspension has been a long time. I want a better handling car, and I'm just not convinced that dropping the money on coilovers is going to do it. Then I'm just going to want to replace my OEM wheels, then......

If you decide to sell, can I have your TMIC? =)

If the TL wasn't so vastly more expensive at least comparing brand new cars, that would've been my first choice (SH-AWD with tech package).

I'd get a used/cpo example. But they are tough to find....

Cars are like women, they all have faults and if you keep them long enough you'll find them. No car is perfect. Just like a woman pick the one that make you happy...<snip>...Sorry if this is a bit long but my point is you will always find fault but the grass is not always greener on the other side.

A lot of truth in that post :lol:

Exactly. Believe it or not it's easier to find another woman than a LGT.

:lol::lol: even more truth

OP, I think this all depends on whether you like modifying a car or just want something that's complete.

On the suspension, just go for coilovers. I'd get BC racing with Swift springs or just KW V3s. On your seats, just get it custom reupholstered or something.

You hit the nail on the head. I just want my car to be complete.

I might be able to hit up the Infinity dealer over lunch and test drive a G. Tracking down a 6-spd TL is going to be a more difficult task. I suppose I could drive an auto just to get a feel for it.

Mpg is 17/25 for the Acura TL-AWD. Isn't that roughly the same for the LGT? And the 10K price difference could buy a lot of gas.

If the original poster isn't concerned about tenths of a second, the audi blows the LGT away in terms of mileage and amenities.

Audi suck to work on and the parts are expensive. We had a 2004ish a4 traded in because it needed an air fuel ratio sensor. Audi quoted the customer $3800. A salesman sold it from the wholesale lot. The tech had to remove the awd trans to replace the sensor. Keep in mind on a Toyota that a 1/2 hour job, instead it took 2 days. Even changing oil sucks when you have 20 bolts hanging 4 shields to get to the filter. The Audi and the Beemer are great cars if you have deep pockets or are leasing but I would never own either unless I hit the lottery. Just my $.02

How is the Audi A4?

...it's a very nice ride. The 2.0T doesn't have the grunt of the EJ255, but it tunes very well and gets nice mileage. The A4 as a whole is a refined package w/lots of potential and the aftermarket support is night and day compared to the BM/BR Legacy.

Like a fancy jetta? I thought that's exactly what it was....

...ummm no, the A4 hasn't shared a platform w/a VW since the B6 model and that was w/the Passat not the Jetta.

Archived