LegacyGT.com

Patagonian GT's upgrades - Round 3

To recap:

Round 1 (Dec) = cosmetics (lip spoiler, wheels, JDM grill) and Cobb AP/Stg1

Round 2 (May) = Suspension - Spec B/Rev A Bilsteins and springs

Round 3 (over the last week) = Perrin sway bars, Perrin TMIC, Cusco F & R underbraces, Cobb brake pads, Cobb SS lines, SuperBlue brake fluid Cobb catted DP, STi UP and AP Stg2 91 1.10 reflash.

The car handles MUCH better, tracking very well and needing very little effort for small corrections compared to before. I need to play around with the sway bar settings to see what works best (front = full soft + rear = full stiff?) The increased power is almost as nice as the smoothness and quick spool now. Brakes are a new beast altogether.....nothing wrong with the stock calipers and rotors at all! The car now has immediate and tangible stopping power compared to the stock setup.

Next up - 245/35/18 Goodyear F1's as soon as Mach V Dan can get them mounted up on some charcoal Rota Formulas. I also have an STi pitch stopper and STi 'pinks' (specifically for the Spec B Bilsteins) on the way from Paul at AVO. Props go to Peter at PL-Tek for taking care of me on the BIG order.... :D

hey PGT - any ideas of what you will do for a catback (weren't you looking into a custom AVO setup?), or are you keeping that stock for a while?

nice mod list. as you know, I have a similar setup. do you know what brake pads Cobb uses?

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

I'm jealous:(
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Not sure about who Cobb subs the pads out to, though I was wondering the same myself today as they seem to be very capable. As for the exhaust, AVO was working on a twin-tip TBE for me, but they are limited to a single outlet muffler (Jap. noise reg. certification?), so the only solution is a 1-2 tip :( . I decided to go with a Cobb DP for now....should other options come up, I might consider going that way. As for a CBE....I don't see anything out there yet that compels me to part with the cash right now. I am really hung up on the twin tip look which limits me.

I'm jealous:(

It's all relative - I was going to buy an STi but the wagon was a better fit (two big dogs). With all the mods, I am still better off financially than had I bought the STi. Now, if I can just get my dogs to hang on while they ride with me. :D

It's all relative - I was going to buy an STi but the wagon was a better fit (two big dogs). With all the mods, I am still better off financially than had I bought the STi. Now, if I can just get my dogs to hang on while they ride with me. :D

:lol: reminds me of the new commercial for the '06 AWD BMW wagon. guys trying to go for a ride with his dog, dog comes out of the house with a helmet on and hops in the back. Owner floors it driving off and you hear this "clunk" from the dogs helmet hitting the window.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

as you know, I have a similar setup.

I am a little hesitant about the new springs after your worry that they are too stiff. I don't feel I need stiffer...but I do want a small drop (1/2" or so).

yeah, I'd probably do a different setup if I were starting from scratch. but that's mostly because of living in DC. if I lived in your neck of the woods I suspect i wd be happy as a clam with spec B and pinks. anyway, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

I was driving my buddy's STi down in Richmond pretty hard yesterday while mine was in the shop. Their roads are crap, though not quite the vintage you enjoy so much. The Spec B setup on mine feels very good down there in comparison, but I still feel it's stiff enough. I just want the car a bit lower for the visual effect....not sure the STi springs will make a big enough difference in handling to overcome the ride Q.

if i had a set of specb springs for a wagon (I bought a sedan set), I wd switch the pinks out immediately. but I don't mean to complain. when i hit smoother roads, or get the rare chance at some twisties, this car is sheer joy. I don't get enough chances - but this friday will be time for bonding!

Guest *Jedimaster*
Sounds awesome Dan- get that out of your system though- the old ball and chain is gonna put a stop to that stuff soon ;)

LOL......ahh love'n your ride........

I tested all the settings for the Perrins......I ended up lik'n front = soft and rear on the middle.

Def curious to see which you like best, keep us informed =) Or course I have a sedan so it won't feel exactly the same.

Archived