LegacyGT.com

mangled a spark plug

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was silly and didn't crank the motor around a few times to get good tension on the tensioner and went right to jerking a big wrench on the back of the motor putting the flywheel back on and that probably made the timing jump as the tensioner was not giving full pressure. well I redid the timing belt in the car (only best way to do things is twice) and started it with out the accessory belts on just to make sure that it started and all was fine. Works perfectly now!!

Was running a little rich at first (probably due to the TGV deletes) but the idle smoothed out and she purred like a kitten I'm soooo happy :wub:

But yea about that whole best way to do anything is twice....I was completely oblivious to the fact that whoever built this short block didn't install the rear main seal...and neither did I. So out comes the tranny and the clutch tomorrow to put that in. A good FML moment right there. I'm just happy it runs. I guess now I can access that leaky front axle seal and stop the grease from spewing all over the underside of my car.

Live and learn :cool:

you had no rear main seal? lol. whoops.

lesson learned- when setting the timing, align all the marks appropriately, pull the tensioner pin, use a flathead screw driver to pry the tensioner down tight onto the belt...it will not spring down on the belt like some accessory belt tensioners do, you need to push it down, and it will hold. rotate the crank 5, FIVE, times by hand clockwise ending with the crank mark aligned, recheck cam belt position.

you had no rear main seal? lol. whoops.

lesson learned- when setting the timing, align all the marks appropriately, pull the tensioner pin, use a flathead screw driver to pry the tensioner down tight onto the belt...it will not spring down on the belt like some accessory belt tensioners do, you need to push it down, and it will hold. rotate the crank 5, FIVE, times by hand clockwise ending with the crank mark aligned, recheck cam belt position.

yea did it this way the second time and works perfectly. Not looking forward to doing the Tranny after working all day then sitting in Manhattan traffic for nearly three hours but that's everyday so suck it up and git r dun!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Just got home from work and picked up a tranny jack from harbor freight on my way home. Figured it would make life easier realigning the tranny studs. I'll probably get it apart tonight, pick up a new axle seal after work tomorrow and have it back in by midnight tomorrow night (fingers crossed!)

My tuner should be emailing me my break in tune some time tomorrow so with that hopefully I'll be taking a midnight stroll. Knowing myself I'll turn that into lets put 250 miles on it and get this break in going hehe, who needs sleep anyways?

All done! Although local dealer got me the wrong axle seal, they didn't match up the new and old so i put the old one back in and now thats going drip drip drip since i put the extra s in...must have further damaged that already shitty seal. Gunna call and bitch tomorrow. Now just waiting for my break in tune!

part number they got me was 806732200 which when I looked it up says something like side oil seal?? Its 100% wrong. the correct part # is 806735290. I love getting constantly let down by dealers.

OK, went for the first drive this evening to go get gas on the new map my tuner emailed to me.

Almost immediately the car started getting hotter than normal. I didn't let it get into the red but my overflow resevoir boiled over and pissed coolant all over the engine bay steaming up all over the place. The car is not leaking coolant, i looked and looked and looked and I'm sure its not leaking any coolant. The radiator stayed full too. The top radiator hose was piping hot while the lower was cool to the touch as was the radiator and the cap. My guess is that the thermostat is not opening for some reason. I was sure to install it facing the same direction as when I removed it from the old pump.

Now for the codes:

P1491- Positive crankcase ventilation (blow-by)

P2011- Intake manifold runner/open (bank 2)

P2008- (same as above just bank 1)

P2021- Intake manifold switch open (bank 2)

P2016- (same as above just bank 1)

The last four codes I know have to deal with the TGV so I guess that this new map didn't do what it was supposed to as far as the TGV's.

I did have one code pop up (of course I didn't record the number) but after I reset the codes it didn't come up again. But this one said "A" camshaft timing advance.

I'm not dealing with it tonight as I'm way too tired from the past two nights of working on her but I'm going to take a video and post it up of how she sounds like idling.

I just really hope her running warm didn't have any ill effects :ohhh:

any tips on how I can clamp off the lower coolant hose so I can inspect the thermostat without making a huge mess?? My current idea is to get two small pieces of wood like 1x2 and clamp them together over the hose to block off any liquid flow.

I did find this thread and I have yet to reconnect that metal clip into the plug. With the Perrin turbo inlet you can use that plastic clip (WTF does it even do?) that metal clip pulls right out of the plastic bit and it doesnt seem like it really has any sensor in it or anything.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/p1491-positive-crankcase-ventilation-blow-function-problemi-102395.html

ok heres a lil video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hd8D33nec4]Troubleshooting - YouTube[/ame]

Doesn't seem to be timed incorrectly she's idling pretty fine. that rough idle though, for now I'm going to point my finger at that blow by code until I can find that connector hidden somewhere under the intake manifold and plug the little metal clip into it and see if that does the trick.

• I Donated
Radiator is full, if the lower pipe isn't getting hot it has to be the thermostat not opening

The lower hose is supposed to be cool. That's the side that has just gone through the radiator and cooled off. Did you squeeze the upper hose as you were adding coolant to get the air bubbles out?

Archived