LegacyGT.com

Could someone please take a look at these logs?

ssbtech

Honestly, the OTS Cobb maps aren't that great. Lots of users show knock, boost errors etc. You'll pick up some power and reliability with a proper tune. Think about remote (e-tuning) with a pro since your current stg1 map probably won't react well to the removal of that cat. Post-tune you'll see better response, power and economy.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
You're going to have boost control issues, likely fuel cut from overboost.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Crap. Thanks. Maybe I should just replace it with a new factory catted pipe.

That's the second-from-last thing I would do. ;)

Get yourself a used OEM catless up-pipe and install it. There is some chance that the stock downpipe will keep things in check and your current map's boost control tables will be able to deal with the lack of pre-turbo cat. It's for sure nothing like as dangerous as running an aftermarket downpipe on a stock tune. Run the car around for a while and take an LV / make some logs. If you are overboosting, Shamar (Infamous1) will make you an OTS map that's set-up for your hardware configuration of catless up-pipe and stock downpipe, with normal stage 1 boost levels. Better yet, get him to e-tune you and figure out a power cord for your laptop / get a new battery / borrow another laptop until you're sorted.

Seriously, the catted up-pipe is in the top 10 of disastrous ideas Subaru has had and needs a good ass-kicking for.

That's the second-from-last thing I would do. ;)

Get yourself a used OEM catless up-pipe and install it.

*snip*

What's likely to get screwed up with the tune if I remove the up-pipe cat? I can't get my car to a tuner and I'd be lucky if I get the necessary 40 minutes out of my laptop's battery to do an e-tune.

You're going to have boost control issues, likely fuel cut from overboost.

I think you misread, right? :)

Catless UP should be fine without a tune.

Deleting the pre-turbo cat will for sure effect boost control. It may or may not lead to overboost and fuel cut. Even if it doesn't, boost control will be ugly and make the drive rather choppy.

Really, it's your car. Step up, treat it right and get a proper tune.

• Mega Users
I'll just give my personal experience. KIM this is stage 1. My boost was dead on target prior to swapping an sti up. Still dead on target afterwards, but slightly quicker spool. I also still have my stock dp, so maybe that's keeping the change in the up from having too much of an effect.

• Mega Users
It's a custom tune. Many others have had similar results. I wouldn't expect the same results if you were stage 2 with a catted up going to a catless up, I also wouldn't even think of going wot after the change without lots of logging to make sure everything is ok.

I'll just give my personal experience. KIM this is stage 1. My boost was dead on target prior to swapping an sti up. Still dead on target afterwards, but slightly quicker spool. I also still have my stock dp, so maybe that's keeping the change in the up from having too much of an effect.

Good to know, thanks. Just goes to show how restrictive that stock downpipe is. :O

I am not sure about APv1.... Infamous is good...I know from current tune but it is for the newer AP; version two I think. There are other tuners PDX, Clark etc. that can tune with AP. I am not sure if they tune that version though. Maybe some one else can answer that. I think cobb had a trade in for older to newer AP at one point. They may still offer something similar. I would check around and see what the vendors say.

AP1 has a very limited memory, which makes tuning for some setups complicated, requiring at least two components to a tune... a base map and a real time map. This is not only hard on the tuner, but also introduces issues for the person being tuned.

Get rid of the V1 AP.

Good luck.

Archived