LegacyGT.com

Could someone please take a look at these logs?

ssbtech

Update:

I'm really hoping I can get some advice here before I approve this work.

Dealer had the guy from a machine shop take a look at my car and the conclusion is that a valve in #2 (where the misfire is) is closing too tightly and they are suggesting the engine come out, heads off and valve clearances adjusted.

They're quoting a 25-30 hr job @ about $3,500-$4,000

Does this seem right?

Thanks.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw your other thread. Stock tune likely burned several valves. That doesn't happen because you were running rich.

Get an aftermarket UP if you can't find an OE UN-catted one. Just avoid crap like Gimmick / FMS etc.

After your heads are rebuilt go stage 1 to avoid a recurrence.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thanks for the reply.

The compression test was ok. He said a bit low, but consistent across all 4.

He said that the "zero clearance" means that the valve is seating too high, as if the valve seal has worn.

I can't take any logs. It's sitting at the dealer with no TIMC or valve cover on.

The idle roughness has been getting worse over the last few weeks and the fuel economy is about 16.8 MPG mixed. Something's not right.

I don't think they ever flow tested the #2 injector so I don't know if that was ever the issue. Waste of money for that replacement :rolleyes:

Just saw your other thread. Stock tune likely burned several valves. That doesn't happen because you were running rich.

Get an aftermarket UP if you can't find an OE UN-catted one. Just avoid crap like Gimmick / FMS etc.

After your heads are rebuilt go stage 1 to avoid a recurrence.

I've been on COBB stage 1 for the last 6+ years. Stock tune really that bad to burn valves?

Should I have the dealer order and install an STi up? That should be complete with whatever heatshields. It's either $50 for a used one + $300 for the install, or $250-300 for a new OEM pipe with next to no labour since the old one has to come off anyway.

Amazed you can't find a used UP. Did you try at nabisco?

Cobb OTS tunes are garbage. Yes, the stock tune is known to cause high EGT and early valve failure.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Sorry, another question (too many questions but I don't have time to plan anything as the car goes "under the knife" on Monday...)

What is it about the stock tune that causes (what I assume a lean condition) burned valves? Has this been corrected in later OEM revisions?

What is it about the stock tune that causes (what I assume a lean condition) burned valves? Has this been corrected in later OEM revisions?

Not lean... it's a timing issue. They ran too little timing in some areas, probably to raise EGT to light the cats, which over time nibbles away at the valves.

Need? Doubt it. But, it seems all the failures are on '06s... It's good insurance, though not really cheap!

Valve in question is the bottom left valve in the #2 cylinder.

I wonder why the bottom left valve in #4 is reddish in colour...

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i357/ssbtech/Carstuff/IMGP9369Large.jpg

#2 exhaust port showing much more soot than #4

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i357/ssbtech/Carstuff/IMGP9368Large.jpg

Heads have been cleaned up, new exhaust valves on the one side and they're back on the block. Mechanic was screwing the cams back on today.

I just can't catch a break here... $900 in various pulleys, hoses and a new timing belt. Dealer wants $400+ for a catless up-pipe so I'll attempt to drill out the one I have, likely screwing it up in the process. Fred Beans made an error on the part value for customs, so that's going to take a few more days to sort out.

Sheesh. Good think I like the car and plan on keeping it for a while. This repair is likely going to be north of $5,000 with the clutch by the time it's all done. :spin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that the engine is all back together and not leaking anything, I thought I'd plug my trusty laptop back in...

How's this looking?

No FBKC during the WOT run which is good as I was getting up to 8* before :o

But I do notice that the Boost Error doesn't drop below 1 until the RPM are up around 3,943. I was hoping that this would build a bit sooner.

The 100% throttle pull was done with 3/4 tank of gas up a hill.

Later in the log I'm seeing upwards of 2* FBKC which has me concerned.

1266015387_LearningView_SS_15-11-201212548PM.jpg.2984aa4d84868a910d23e09e9eab7d4f.jpg

romraiderlog_20121115_135245.csv

You want to have boost targets just out of reach for lower gears on flat ground. Otherwise you'll be into overboost in higher gears / uphill / car full of fatties.

Wait and see if that FKBC turns into FLKC.

Makes sense, thanks. You had previously mentioned that it should be hitting peak boost sooner would I was a little confused by the delay there.

I will keep an eye on the logs. The first LV I did showed no knock, a week later and it still shows no knock, although the fuel trims look a bit off.

It's tough here to get a full WOT pull from 2k to redline... That would take me to a speed which would have the car impounded for a week :rolleyes:

Thanks iNVAR, I will make those changes and re-log. What makes the FBKC interesting on throttle release?

Mods: Stock everything, COBB Stage 1 (v 1.6 I think). 91 OCT tune and fuel. Hogzaust exhaust mod (What can I say, I'm cheap) and removed the intake resonator (stock intake and filter otherwise)

Could the knock sensors be detecting my suspension rattle? That only happens when I go over a bumpy road, not the on-ramps I did the logs on.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'd like to get to the bottom of why the LV is wonky and the car makes bad smells on heavy accel/load.

I feel your pain with trying to get a WOT run in 3rd. People say it like it's nothing but from 2k to redline in 3rd in mine I'm doing 190km/hr. Only managed it once at a Track and Tune night. :icon_wink

For road tuning.. I always wonder if a 2nd gear run is enough.

2nd is not enough, I can assure you that. even with the increased logging resolution of the fast polling option, there simply isn't enough load to develop boost well in third.

or more precisely, you could try to optimize your tune based on second gear but you'd likely overboost severely in higher gears because 2nd requires much more wgdc.

or more precisely, you could try to optimize your tune based on second gear but you'd likely overboost severely in higher gears because 2nd requires much more wgdc.

At the very least you'd want to tune boost control in the spool area in a higher gear (I like 4th) and high-rpm areas in the highest gear you can do safely. Just be sure to log gear position so as not to drive your tuner crazy. ;)

Sigh.. looks like I'm buying a new laptop...

Once I yank the drive out of my now dead one, I'll post up the latest log.

Looks like there is now some learned knock, -1.4 mid load, mid RPM. I don't recall the specifics right now. Not sure how concerned about it I should be but seeing how nearly half the engine is new....

Archived