LegacyGT.com

Could someone please take a look at these logs?

ssbtech

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can't figure it out from reading the tutorial, maybe you shouldn't be playing with this eh? ;)

Ignition timing. Spark advance. Nothing to do with valve timing.

BTW, I've seen a lot of cases where FLKC in those ranges was due to overboost. When the ECU sees MRP over what's called for in the boost target tables it cuts timing by -1.40* preemptively to protect you from knock before it actually happens. If you do some pulls and log FBKC, FLKC, MRP and boost error you will be able to see if this could be the cause. The remedy is either to improve boost control so it doesn't spike to such high values or raise the boost targets in the relevant cells so you aren't able to pass them.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

If you can't figure it out from reading the tutorial, maybe you shouldn't be playing with this eh? ;)

I'm not changing anything, I'm simply logging to see what the heck is wrong with my car.

Ignition timing. Spark advance. Nothing to do with valve timing.

Thank you.

BTW, I've seen a lot of cases where FLKC in those ranges was due to overboost. When the ECU sees MRP over what's called for in the boost target tables it cuts timing by -1.40* preemptively to protect you from knock before it actually happens. If you do some pulls and log FBKC, FLKC, MRP and boost error you will be able to see if this could be the cause. The remedy is either to improve boost control so it doesn't spike to such high values or raise the boost targets in the relevant cells so you aren't able to pass them.

Interesting to know. My logs should have those values in them, I just don't know how they all relate to eachother.

Do you still have the catted up-pipe? I'd get rid of that whether or not it's the cause of your funny smells. Used OEM catless one is dirt cheap, or gut your own if you don't mind some hard work.

Have you thought of going back to your stock map to see if these problems go away? Since you're just stg1 you should be able to do that.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yes, it's catted. The car has been Stg1 for about 6 years, the smell has only started to get worse over the last two or so.

Maybe when I take the car for its next oil change, I'll have them swap the up-pipe along with the compression test and spark plugs.

Even if the up-pipe is the source of the smell, there's a reason why it's smelly now and wasn't before. The smell isn't a sign of a failing cat, it's a by-product of the catalytic conversion. That much I know. It should only stink if it's running rich (but isn't the car cutting the fuel to maintain the AFR, thus in the end not running rich?)

Yes, range D fuel trim at -2.80 is very healthy... does not indicate you are running very rich, but it doesn't prove your open-loop fueling is good either.

I'd just flash your stock tune back in and see what happens.

I might just do that then. I prefer to flash as little as possible, nothing like bricking an ECU! :p

The stock tune was crappy with that turbo surging everyone's complained of. I should try to pin down this heatshield rattle too.

Follow simple rules and flashing is safe. Plenty of battery in laptop, do a test write every time.

Haha. All bets: OFF

;)

I'm living on the edge. I usually don't even test write. Have flashed 200+ times now.

Not that I'm advising anyone to not test write... just that I haven't messed mine up.... yet. :p Test writing is definitely smarter.

Odd noise - not sure if it's normal as I haven't payed as much attention as I am now..

I can only describe it as "pfffft, pfffft,pfffft,pfffft,pfffft,pfffft,pfffft,pfffft,pfffft," from the driver's side of the engine. Like I said, not sure if it's been there before or not. It's subtle, not much louder than the injectors ticking away, but I can hear it. Doesn't seem to be present on the passenger side.

Time to stop looking for ghosts, and start addressing the tune, IMO. Too many look for scapegoats like "rattling antlers" instead of dealing with the harder issue of tunes that need work.

It is obvious your tune needs work.

There are no tuners around here. It's a COBB stage 1 91oct tune on a stock engine and intake.

Things seem better since the injector swap in #2, but still not great. I'll have them do a compression test at the next oil change.

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't mean I don't go to the mechanic with a good understanding of what's going on. It was only because of the logs I took to the mechanic that they found and replaced a bad injector.

I try to be as informed as possible even if I don't do my own work.

Archived