LegacyGT.com

Could someone please take a look at these logs?

ssbtech

Would a bad ignition coil cause roughness? And could that in turn lead to a condition which the ECU responds to with that extreme knock correction?

If so, I could move the coil to another cylinder and see if the roughness follows it, then replace the coil...

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you could move the coil and see if the roughness follows. i don't *think* a misfire can falsely trigger the knock sensor. what i do think can happen is a cylinder running so lean that it fires at times with a lean mixture and knocks, and other times misfires from so little fuel in the mixture. if at idle, it misfires, but while driving is fine(meaning no misfire) it could be clogged injector. my friend had this issue where it would only miss at idle, but a clogged injector can flow enough fuel to not misfire but not enough fuel to appropriately achieve a rich enough afr to not knock. meaning the flow is reduced in the full spectrum- at idle and while driving, but while driving not misfiring, instead running lean because of the flow restriction. i suppose you could have knock if that happened.

Update: I've left it at the dealer where they didn't see anything wrong with their laptop plugged in, but swapped the #2 and #4 injector. It ran really rough after that so he swapped them back, but noticed a nick in the injector's O-ring. New injector on order and I have a new Forester to drive around in for the weekend.

He said when he put it back there was a strong sulphur smell, so perhaps that nick has been there for a while causing the odor.

They should have the other injector this morning, so hopefully it'll be better this afternoon :)

I wonder why his laptop wasn't showing any problems. Then again, when I showed him the roughness monitor log for Cyl2 and the FBKC at -7 he didn't seem to think that was a problem :iam:

Update: New fuel squirter is in #2, here's an LV after they reset the ECM and took it for a drive. I've driven it about 50km (mixed highway, city) since the work was done.

Also watched the roughness monitor while idling for a few minutes. Previously it hit a count of 23 on Cyl2, now it just shows the normal occasional one or two here and there.

So far I think this has got it. Still have to do a 3rd gear pull.

Romraider question: I'm confused about the cars definition XML file. I see now that I didn't have it during the above logs. Now that I downloaded the latest definition file, things like engine speed and throttle opening aren't registering a reading in RR.

1253107014_LVAfter2injectorreplaced-June132012.jpg.5c226af3444a15536b0b932a27094e77.jpg

Ok, best I could do today. Log and LV attached.

Impressions are that the car is running better, but I still get some sulphur smell on the full WOT pull. Wasn't as bad as before however.

Two LVs: one pre-pull and one after. I enabled the roughness monitor because I wanted to see any misfires. The injector took care of those.

Post pull LV on the left, pre on the right.

Log.csv

782720967_LVPost-pull.jpg.0a9bd1f4c354f53efdbb57b5ae124b88.jpg

2047304141_LVPre-pull.jpg.52d6ebe75084be0dea8e585f7e146cd8.jpg

Update:

Reinstalled intake air resonator and removed the engine upper cover as there were a couple of loose popit screws and it was rattling around a bit.

Tightened bolts that were about to fall out of the power steering fluid reservoir (dealer must have loosened it to make getting to the air filter easier).

Re-logged. Only able to get a short 100% pull then 5th gear cruise for a whort while. Damn minivan :lol: and traffic laws :mad:

Two LVs (one first pre-log, second post-log) and log attached.

I was happy to see that the FBKC has decreased quite a bit.

Still a very strong suplhur smell building up late in the 100% throttle pull then tapering off for several seconds after.

329178498_LearningView_SS_16-06-201215850PM.jpg.1dd320f6253817ae60a6def2c7097738.jpg

1699268942_LearningView_SS_16-06-201230230PM.jpg.4d202ed09beedc4aafcb983625976c0b.jpg

romraiderlog_20120616_143128.csv

Ok, I'm lost. I thought the red numbers meant leaning out.

I have a suspension clunk over speed bumps at low speed, doesn't make noise on a smooth highway. Don't hear/see anything loose. Nothing that I can access anyway.

Throttle response seems a bit better after the new injector. It's almost as if the car has lost a hundred pounds.

Okay, so running rich means that the ECU is cutting fuel because not enough air is getting to the engine. I'm assuming that the o2 sensor is showing less oxygen than expected based on the reading from the MAF sensor?

Correct?

I've also noticed since the injector went in a slightly surging, almost like a slipping clutch, in 5th gear under acceleration. A slight bit in 4th gear too.

The latest log should show this shortly after the 100% pull.

I'm wondering if any damage has been done from the bad injector. Perhaps a compression test is in order? Not seeing anything goes in the way of oil consumption

no, the ecu is pulling fuel because the afr detected is lower than target. this could mean a few things. either your injector latencies are too low, or your maf scaling is too high. or, you have an exhaust leak that is causing the turbo to spin not fast enough, thus causing more vaccum between the turbo and throttle body than expected (less air into engine). the turbo should be spinning X revolutions per minute to feed the engine with enough air, and idealy there should be close to 0inHg between the turbo outlet and the throttle plate, if there's less than that then the engine will suffocate. therefore, there is too much fuel for the mixture thus the richer afr thus the ecu pulling fuel.

that's for more extreme scenarios, your trims, CURRENTLY, in those lv's are acceptable. you want all trims to be no greater than +/- 5%. and the D range as little as possible.

After some driving today the A column shor back up to 6.1 again today.

As for the FBKC, is there any documentation that shows an acceptable range for correction? I showed the dealer mechanic and he said "that looks fine to me".

Guess I should trade the car in :spin:

Metallic sounding heat shield rattle in third gear at 40kph on light acceleration. That could account for the knock correction early in the pull, but the continued correction after that...

Sulphur smell is just as strong. I'm due for an oil change in 1,000km so I'll likely have them do the compression test then. No oil loss over the last 5,000km, oil is still golden on the napkin. I've ordered a Blackstone test kit, should take a few months to get across the border :rolleyes:

Archived