LegacyGT.com

"Studdering" Fix Released

Opie

Hmmm, If this is actually a logic change I wonder how the current reflashes will jive with different logic? Has anyone with a Cobb reflash tried getting this dealer reflash or is everyone happy enough with the Cobb map that they aren't going to bother?

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, If this is actually a logic change I wonder how the current reflashes will jive with different logic? Has anyone with a Cobb reflash tried getting this dealer reflash or is everyone happy enough with the Cobb map that they aren't going to bother?

I have an AP, and I plan on trying the dealer fix. The AP makes the stuttering a little better, but still doesn't get rid of it to my satisfaction. I'll be "divorcing" the AP before my car goes for any service. I'll decide if I want to reinstall the stage 1 programming afterwards.

I've been mostly pleased with my v1.10 stg I, however today I got very bad stutter in 2nd gear. Guess what I was trying to do? Drive very slowly so a friend could keep up. UGH. Upsetting your passengers just when you're trying not to is NOT cool.

I'm going to wait for Cobb's comments..

Awesome, i'll be taking my car there just as soon as I can stand parting with it.

Any ideas on when/if dealers will get the equipment to do this themselves?

Sevice rep did not know when they would be able to fix it locally. He mentioned some cartridge they would receive, but SOA need to make a bunch

of 'em to send to all dealerships.

Car has been at the dealership since Monday. They say it takes about 3 days, but the guy ahead of me waited more than a week, so it may take a while.

Crusin' around in my sloooow loaner car meanwhile...

So.. am I the first one on the forum with the car actually AT the dealer (as of today) with the ECU out on its way to NJ? Hope I have good results... haha.

Probably...although my car is at the dealership...and they have 'kept' it overnight for reasons that I am not aware of at this time. I asked the individual who called me, and he said that the shop foreman has to assess the situation...so, I will be finding out more tomorrow. I am NOT happy that they have kept the car...but, if it's 'fixed' soon enough, I won't have to worry about it anymore. Oh well...patience, I suppose.

I just got my car back from the dealer today. What you guys have been waiting for ... THE RESULTS OF THE FIX:

... it doesn't actually fix it completely. It does alleviate the problem somewhat, but give it about 1/2 throttle in 5th and you'll still feel those familiar pulsations from 2k to 3.5k or so, every time. The magnitude of those pulsations, however, seems to have decreased somewhat. Overall, the problem went from extremely annoying to very annoying. I'll let the ECU relearn for a while longer and report back.

An interesting side-effect is that the idle seems to have gotten rougher.

Not only does the problem still exist, but the monkeys there left water spots all over my freshly waxed car. Guess who gets to acid-treat and rewax ... AGAIN ...? :mad:

I just got my car back from the dealer today. What you guys have been waiting for ... THE RESULTS OF THE FIX:

... it doesn't actually fix it completely. It does alleviate the problem somewhat, but give it about 1/2 throttle in 5th and you'll still feel those familiar pulsations from 2k to 3.5k or so, every time. The magnitude of those pulsations, however, seems to have decreased somewhat. Overall, the problem went from extremely annoying to very annoying. I'll let the ECU relearn for a while longer and report back.

Not only does the problem still exist, but the monkeys there left water spots all over my freshly waxed car. Guess who gets to acid-treat and rewax ... AGAIN ...? :mad:

:mad:THAT REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Thanks for the update.. I hate to sound pessimistic, but it will probably only get worse as the ECU re-learns. My stuttering is always better immediately following an ECU reset, but it always comes back within a couple hundred miles. :(

On the bright side, I think your rough idle should go away as the ECU re-learns. That seems to be a side effect of an ECU reset that goes away over time.

Agree with you Eles1, My ECU gets better after a reset (studdering wise) but gets rougher idle, and then I guess it re-learns and the idle gets better but worse the studdering...

I really wish COBB had something to say about this in their future maps...

:-)

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Just got off the phone with Cobb. Current maps WILL work with the new flash revision, and Cobb is aware of the stuttering issue. It seems that it's an iterative process by which they're methodically tuning out the stutter/hesitation. The rep I got on the phone seemed to think that it was a combination of A/F ratio inconsistency across the band and crappy stock throttle-by-wire tuning.

I'm gonna march up to SMART here in Seattle and pick up an AP, post haste. I've had it with this SOA bullshit.

Just got a call from the dealer service dept. and the shop foreman could not find anything 'wrong' with the car, with regards to the 'stuttering' even with the 'Subaru' computer that he used, while on a test drive. Claims that the car is behaving normally, accoring to the 'computer' that they used...so, I guess there goes my chance of having this fixed through this dealer. Maybe I will try and check with another one, in the area, and see if they can find something with it. Who knows...maybe the AP is the way to go. Apparently, the 'Subaru Computer' knows more than the person driving the car on a daily basis. Good luck folks!!!

Just got a call from the dealer service dept. and the shop foreman could not find anything 'wrong' with the car, with regards to the 'stuttering' even with the 'Subaru' computer that he used, while on a test drive. Claims that the car is behaving normally, accoring to the 'computer' that they used...so, I guess there goes my chance of having this fixed through this dealer. Maybe I will try and check with another one, in the area, and see if they can find something with it. Who knows...maybe the AP is the way to go. Apparently, the 'Subaru Computer' knows more than the person driving the car on a daily basis. Good luck folks!!!
We know it doesn't throw codes.. big news.

We know it doesn't throw codes.. big news.

Exactly...which is why I kept questioning the guy. I will have to talk to him some more, when I get to the dealer later. I know the computer won't find the codes, but the stuttering will still be there. Not cool...but I guess they believe that the computer knows it all! :mad: I will see what they have to say when I get there...and maybe they will take a ride with me, and experience it first hand. I know how to constantly reproduce the issue.

Just got off the phone with Cobb. Current maps WILL work with the new flash revision, and Cobb is aware of the stuttering issue. It seems that it's an iterative process by which they're methodically tuning out the stutter/hesitation. The rep I got on the phone seemed to think that it was a combination of A/F ratio inconsistency across the band and crappy stock throttle-by-wire tuning.

I'm gonna march up to SMART here in Seattle and pick up an AP, post haste. I've had it with this SOA bullshit.

If Cobb came out with a map that focused on getting rid of the stutter, I would be very interested in that. Even if it didn't put out as much power as their current stage 1 map, I think I'd go with it anyhow. As long as it was putting out at least factory power.

Has a TSB been issued? I'll be picking up my car this weekend most likely but would like to be able to find out about this. Mine was fresh from the factory last month, but I don't know if it has the issue just yet.

It would be nice to hand them a page or give them a number to look up and say "hey i want this fixed."

If a TSB has been announced could it be posted on the first page of this thread for other viewers?

Has a TSB been issued? I'll be picking up my car this weekend most likely but would like to be able to find out about this. Mine was fresh from the factory last month, but I don't know if it has the issue just yet.

It would be nice to hand them a page or give them a number to look up and say "hey i want this fixed."

If a TSB has been announced could it be posted on the first page of this thread for other viewers?

I don't believe it exists in newer cars...there's a certain number of ECM/ECU's identified that were affected.

As for myself, they claimed that they could not find anything wrong with the car. The service manager stated that I could bring the car back, and take a tech out with me, to reproduce it, but not today, since they were about to close when I got there. I will be going back next week, sometime, to reproduce the issue for them. On the other hand, everything else that they had to fix is mostly fixed...so that's a good thing. I will let you know how the story progresses!

Right, but are you just overwriting the factory reflash? and of course when you "Revert to stock" which programming to you end up with?

I spoke to Cobb earlier today as I was getting ready to purchase an AP and didn't want to buy a product that potentially wouldn't work with the "new logic" that is supposedly in Subaru's fix. The gentleman I spoke to said that any Accessport flash would simply overwrite whatever Subaru's fix may be, and implied that included any logic changes - he did state he wasn't familiar with the fix though. I didn't ask the second question, that's a good one.

Frankly, I don't understand the revert to stock / divorcing process anyway unless stock in this case means Cobb's stock. My understanding was that the Cobb flash restructured the ECU pretty thoroughly. To revert to true stock, wouldn't you have to have some kind of version control within the flash process that would include archiving the stock programming? Question for a different thread, no need to reply.

I've heard that the AP stores whatever programing the ECU has on it before it reflashes it. When you revert to stock it just downloads what it stored when you first flashed. I just heard that yesterday though, but it does make more sense than what I understood up to that point.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Ive been experiencing what I think is the same issue you all are having and actually came on here earlier today to look up some threads on it to see if it was just "me" or if it really was something.

Interestingly enough, I found a huge thread (this one) on what sounds like the issue I am having. I thought it was just me, but have been noticing it more lately.

I feel hesitations when accelerating usually from 3rd to 4th (MT) and on the highway in 5th. I thought it was just possibly from having the AC on due to it being so warm lately here (MASSACHUSETTS).

Could a couple of you possibly post what you are feeling exactly: gears, speeds, rpm's, etc? I just wana make sure I reallllllllly know what to look for when I go talk to a Service Tech about this and dont wana look silly.;)

Great work yawll, 'specially to OPIE...nice work, are you a Subaru Tech?

Thanks,

Joe

For me its totally random. It will happen in all gears and in all ranges of the tach. I don't know if its a computer problem or some kind of issue with how the car is put together. It feels like a plugged fuel filter and its as annoying as it can get. I hope that everybody calls as many dealerships that they can about it so that sooner or later somebody will yell loud enough for a recall to happen. This is BS that I have to be ashamed about the acceleration of my brand new car that is supposed to be this great automobile. I have to use a totally lame and bogus excuse when friends ask me to show them what it can do. I tell them that I don't want to be too hard on it because I'm still breaking it in. Sooner or later they are going to say "Dude... you have 20,000 miles on it. Don't you think its broke in yet?"

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG