LegacyGT.com

"Studdering" Fix Released

Opie

This is not an ECU issue. I had a catless uppie installed, & studdering is gone. Obviously it has to do with the restriction being to close to the turbo charger. Unless, yor're in California where they check for smog emissions, removing this pre-cat isn't illegal.
I still have plenty after the uppipe. Ask SOA.

edit - oh, and wrong on all counts, is that why you used bold?

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deer Killer - Did you try resetting your ECU ? Maybe it's current maps still exhibit hestitation because the pre-cat induced it, now when you reset the ECU without the upipe cat, would it not learn to hesitate ?
I keed I keeed

Deer Killer - Did you try resetting your ECU ? Maybe it's current maps still exhibit hestitation because the pre-cat induced it, now when you reset the ECU without the upipe cat, would it not learn to hesitate ?
Oh, I've tried everything. I could actually datalog it to prove what it is, but I'd have to go back to stock map to be able to do it easier. Maybe I will. It's just not something I have the bandwidth to take up at the moment. It's much to quick to be a boost issue, it has to be OL/CL ignition timing.

removing or alterring factory emission control systems is a FEDERAL offense, and almost certainly violates some of your state level laws as well. Don't tamper with this and pretend you're within the law. Some states are tougher with enforcement than others, but that doesn't make it legal.

dR

This is not an ECU issue. I had a catless uppie installed, & studdering is gone. Obviously it has to do with the restriction being to close to the turbo charger. Unless, yor're in California where they check for smog emissions, removing this pre-cat isn't illegal.

Why is it that everyone with an ECU mod reports this as being gone, and Subaru has now released an ECU fix for stud-tering? This is the first report of an UP fixing it that I've heard, and with the millions of UPs out there, I would think that we would have had that conclusion a year ago.

removing or alterring factory emission control systems is a FEDERAL offense, and almost certainly violates some of your state level laws as well. Don't tamper with this and pretend you're within the law. Some states are tougher with enforcement than others, but that doesn't make it legal.

dR

Oh crap! Everyone, get those cats back on, QUICK! :rolleyes:

took mine into the dealer today. They couldn't duplicate it, so i drove them around in mine and showed them. Then told them to pick any 2005 2.5 turbo off the lot, 5EAT or 5MT and I'll duplicate it on that too. So they did. And I did. And now they're looking into finding that TSB. They called the SOA tech line, but the tech line hasn't called them back yet.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

took mine into the dealer today. They couldn't duplicate it, so i drove them around in mine and showed them. Then told them to pick any 2005 2.5 turbo off the lot, 5EAT or 5MT and I'll duplicate it on that too. So they did. And I did. And now they're looking into finding that TSB. They called the SOA tech line, but the tech line hasn't called them back yet.

Good info. I'm interested to see if anyone actually has success with this new "fix". Keep us posted...

And now they're looking into finding that TSB. They called the SOA tech line, but the tech line hasn't called them back yet.

There is no TSB as of yet, but the Tech Line is aware of the issue and the reflash.

Here's a little more info I drummed up on ECM (Electronic Control Module)Reflashes:

Logic Change #1

(U6) Federal Emission Specification Only - 05MY Legacy 2.5L M/T & 05MY Outback 2.5L M/T

Conditions: 1) - P1160 (RETURN SPRING FAILURE), 2) - P2097 (POST CATALYST FUEL TRIM SYSTEM TOO RICH BANK 1), 3) - Cruise Control Intermittently Shuts Off, 4) Surging during moderate acceleration.

Affected ECM's CID (Calibration Identification Number): E2ZJ133B

Logic Change #1

(U5) California Emission Specification Only - 05MY Legacy 2.5L M/T & 05MY Outback 2.5L M/T

Conditions: 1) - P1160 (RETURN SPRING FAILURE), 2) - Cruise Control Intermittently Shuts Off, 3) Surging during moderate acceleration.

Affected ECM's CID (Calibration Identification Number): E2ZJ133A

Logic Change #1

(U6) Federal Emission Specification Only - 05MY Legacy 2.5L 4EAT & 05MY Outback 2.5L 4EAT

Conditions: 1) - P1160 (RETURN SPRING FAILURE), 2) - P2097 (POST CATALYST FUEL TRIM SYSTEM TOO RICH BANK 1), 3) - Cruise Control Intermittently Shuts Off, 4) Surging during moderate acceleration.

Affected ECM's CID (Calibration Identification Number):

05MY Legacy 2.5L 4EAT - E2ZJ131B

05MY Outback 2.5L 4EAT - E2ZJ132B

Also found a few TCM (Transmission Control Module) Reflashes:

Logic Change #1

05MY Legacy GT Turbo

Conditions: 1) - P1799 (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION INTERLOCK)

Affected TCM's CID (Calibration Identification Number): MB436H

Logic Change #2

05MY Legacy GT Turbo

Conditions: 1) - P0771 (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFT SOLENOID “E” PERFORMANCE OR STUCK OFF)

Reflash Includes Logic Change #1

Affected TCM's CID (Calibration Identification Number): MB436L

Logic Change #1

05MY Legacy Outback Turbo

Conditions: 1) - P1799 (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION INTERLOCK)

Affected TCM's CID (Calibration Identification Number): MB436J

Logic Change #2

05MY Legacy Outback Turbo

Conditions: 1) - P0771 (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFT SOLENOID “E” PERFORMANCE OR STUCK OFF)

Reflash Includes Logic Change #1

Affected TCM's CID (Calibration Identification Number): MB436M

Good info. I'm interested to see if anyone actually has success with this new "fix". Keep us posted...

I'm just interested to see if any dealership will actually fix this. So far none of the ones I have talked to know what I'm talking about. They are treating me as if this is the first time they have ever heard of the problem and there is no fix. Why aren't the dealerships aware of this? Did they not get the same email that Opie got?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Why aren't the dealerships aware of this? Did they not get the same email that Opie got?

I got the e-mail from our District Service Manager, it is likely that not all dealership are as informed as others.

See more info posted above :D

I did it again yesterday too. It's still there.... It's not as bad as it was before I did it the first time, but there isn't any difference from before I did it the second time. The reflash is the only solution I think.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Opie, looking at the Logic Changes for the ECM, it looks like the MY05 Legacy 5EAT is not affected but only the MY05 Legacy M/T. Is that correct ?

I noticed that as well, but I think it's a typo...because none of the turbo models get the 4EAT and it is definitly a Turbo car reflash (I can tell be the ECM CID's)

Sweet, were you experiencing the hesitation and did you get your ECM reflashed ?

Thanks, again.

I can get mine to do it "sometimes", but it's very rare, and not easily reproduced. I haven't started the procedure to get mine flashed yet because I've been driving the wife's car due to the rain and construction on my commute, but I will do it soon.

I'm just interested to see if any dealership will actually fix this. So far none of the ones I have talked to know what I'm talking about. They are treating me as if this is the first time they have ever heard of the problem and there is no fix. Why aren't the dealerships aware of this? Did they not get the same email that Opie got?

I got the same thing from my dealer when I mentioned it but that was before I got the info from this thread. Now that I know that SOA is aware, I'll be taking it back as soon as I can to try again.

The TCM module reflash -- is that the same one that was out a while ago for people running in a lower gear then they should be in for a long time ?

I.E. it prevented you from driving around in 1st all day...

Oh really? Please back that statement up.

<----- PGT has smog check coming up in VA soon :(

In any state where there is a smog check if your vehicle has 50K or higher you are exempt from having anything more than 1 required cat, only exception is diesel where not cat is required.

The TCM module reflash -- is that the same one that was out a while ago for people running in a lower gear then they should be in for a long time ?

I.E. it prevented you from driving around in 1st all day...

Nope, it's a specific reflash to address the two fault codes listed only.