LegacyGT.com

Plastic Intake Manifold!!!

sga86_LGT

Does anyone know how much the intake manifold from the sti cost? cause i spend some time looking at my engine today.. and i realized.. THE INTAKE MANIFOLD IS PLASTIC!!.. i was about to get me a boost controller.. it would be useless.. cause i can only boost it to 1.2 at the most, after that it will just crack the manifold. So..if anyone knows where i can get me a sti intake manifold... plz let me know. thx

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMFG!?!?!?!?!?!

Really? :rolleyes:

There was a group buy here for STi manfiolds that won't explode at 18 psi.

There has been a lot of speculation, but abosultely no evidence, that the Legacy's manifold is more restrictive than the STi's (which, prepare yurself for this scary truth, is the same as the WRXs, except for the throttle cable bracket that the STi doesn't need). People have made in excess of 300 whp without the Legacy intake manifold showing any signs of damage.

find.gif is your friend.

Guest clawdnb
i got a plastic engine cover...thats why i took it off, so it doesnt melt on top of my engine under the extreme heat/horsepower the engine makes...lol

Guest *Jedimaster*
Dammit man! The radio is plastic too!!!!1 Don't run any extra power through it or it'll melt like a wet intacoolar!!11

i really can't decide which is more amusing

fearing a plastic manafold

using a MBC on a subaru

tring to push the vf-40 to 1.2 bar

whos gonna start the pool for when this motor blows up?

Ouch, you guys are harsh. I was surprised at first to see a plastic intake manifold as well. Not concerned, just surprised. It isn't the best looking setup. One reason for keeping the engine cover on, to hide the less than impressive plastic manifold.

i really can't decide which is more amusing

fearing a plastic manafold

using a MBC on a subaru

tring to push the vf-40 to 1.2 bar

No kidding. For a second I thought I was on the nutsack forums.

What's with all the crapping on the plastic manifold. I happen to like it. I removed my engine cover permanently to "showcase" the whole engine, including the cool black intake.

Seriously, I've had the car at several Subie meets and I'd say the reaction is 99% favorable, or at least sincerely curious (no criticism) from other STi or WRX/RS owners. They think its interesting and different. I don't recall a single person saying, "shit, that plastic intake manifold is going to melt, crack or explode."

... well, if you are fixing up your car to be for show, by all means go for it..anyways.. the material they use for this intake manifold is resin. anything u add to the car like exhaust, intake.. whatever.. is putting more pressure into the engine.. once u mod or tune your car to a certain point, the stock legacy intake manifold will crack.. even the engine it self, once you mod to a point you will have to change out the internals. even the tranny for this car can only take up to about 350-400 hp, and change your intake manifold to something thats made of metal.. or you could end up spending more money fixing it.. or.. just rice up your car and leave everything else stock.

I guess it depends on how big of power you are hoping to achieve. The plastic manifold should be good for many reasons, less heat soak, smoother interior bore (air moves faster with less turbluence in there) etc.

I bet it would crack at high PSI loads, but people have pushed ~1.2 bar with no problems yet. The intake manifold is by far not the weakest part of the stock system.

LS1s use a plastic composite manifold.

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html

Also, the block is semi-closed, so please PLEASE do research before talking about things you don't know. Also, the internals are all forged except for the pistons. No need to change out internals unless you're over 450+whp, that's my opinion. Even then, I would just swap pistons.

Guest JessterCPA

Seriously, I think BMW has been using "composite" intakes for years. Why not? There are many plastics out there that are far stronger than traditional materials. It's thinking like this that pushes technology forward.

Jesse

LS1s use a plastic composite manifold.

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html

Also, the block is semi-closed, so please PLEASE do research before talking about things you don't know. Also, the internals are all forged except for the pistons. No need to change out internals unless you're over 450+whp, that's my opinion. Even then, I would just swap pistons.

WOW, smart guy ehh.. :p i DID do my research and IT IS AN OPEN DECK.. except i was looking at a non-turbo legacy :lol:

Archived