LegacyGT.com

Plastic Intake Manifold!!!

sga86_LGT

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... well, if you are fixing up your car to be for show, by all means go for it..anyways.. the material they use for this intake manifold is resin. anything u add to the car like exhaust, intake.. whatever.. is putting more pressure into the engine.. once u mod or tune your car to a certain point, the stock legacy intake manifold will crack.. even the engine it self, once you mod to a point you will have to change out the internals. even the tranny for this car can only take up to about 350-400 hp, and change your intake manifold to something thats made of metal.. or you could end up spending more money fixing it.. or.. just rice up your car and leave everything else stock.

:rolleyes:

You are kidding, right?

sga_86, you might want to look up some more solid facts before making such claims or you'll become a laughing stock again.

My guess is that the plastic/composite manifold should be able to take up to 2Bar of pressure before problems show themselves, perhaps more, though other problems would be present before then. The composite design allows for less heat soak as some have noted as well as it is lighter than a traditional metal unit. With the advancements in technology, the old theory of certain materials will automatically outperform plastics and similar just isn't necessarily true anymore.

A note about the Vette and BMW, they are naturally aspirated and take less stress though it is good that the industry is looking in many directions to help reduce vehicle weight.

... well, if you are fixing up your car to be for show, by all means go for it..anyways.. the material they use for this intake manifold is resin. anything u add to the car like exhaust, intake.. whatever.. is putting more pressure into the engine.. once u mod or tune your car to a certain point, the stock legacy intake manifold will crack.. even the engine it self, once you mod to a point you will have to change out the internals. even the tranny for this car can only take up to about 350-400 hp, and change your intake manifold to something thats made of metal.. or you could end up spending more money fixing it.. or.. just rice up your car and leave everything else stock.

Are you shittin me????

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

sga_86, you might want to look up some more solid facts before making such claims or you'll become a laughing stock again.

My guess is that the plastic/composite manifold should be able to take up to 2Bar of pressure before problems show themselves, perhaps more, though other problems would be present before then. The composite design allows for less heat soak as some have noted as well as it is lighter than a traditional metal unit. With the advancements in technology, the old theory of certain materials will automatically outperform plastics and similar just isn't necessarily true anymore.

A note about the Vette and BMW, they are naturally aspirated and take less stress though it is good that the industry is looking in many directions to help reduce vehicle weight.

ur right, thats why sti doesnt use this HIGH TEC intake manifold because legacy gt is more of a performance car.. ur right.. quit pulling shit out of your ass, subaru use this material to save money for the luxuries, it is also part of the detune from the sti to legacy.. talking about this plastic material cools faster..this material is strong and will take alot of heat and pressure, but the intake manifold doesnt do the cooling, thats why there is a intercooler.. my whole damn point of starting this topic is to ask if anyone acturally thought of or did get a better intake manifold that will take more pressure like the sti does.. i know what kind of intake manifold i have in my car and i know what it is made of.. and yo, this intake manifold will not take up to 2.0 of boost.. if u boost it up from 1.1 to 2.0 without at least changing that intake manifold, u will break it. so quit your bs and go read a book.

you'll break the stock intercooler before you break the intake manifold.

Of course the intake manifold doesn't do any cooling, but it sits right on top of the engine and plastic prevents heatsoak better then the metal. Heatsoak from the engine, not the intake charge.

Seriously dude, the plastic isn't as bad as you make it sound. Until you crack your manifold at a certain pressure, you can't say for certain where it will crack, can you? So until you have proof that the manifold can't hold more then 1.2 bar of boost, please don't make baseless accusations.

quit pulling shit out of your ass..... so quit your bs and go read a book.

Drop the attitude dood. :mad: There is no reason to behave that way on this board, especially to a moderator (and one who wrote most of our tech threads no less).

PGT

alright alright.. whatever, its not what i was asking at the first place.. if you think u can boost higher, go ahead.. as for me, i will change the manifold.. and like the other guy who was saying its better than the engine's material, then maybe the whole engine should use that material, right, save money, lighter, prevent heat soak. you might even gain couple horse power.

Drop the attitude dood. :mad: There is no reason to behave that way on this board, especially to a moderator (and one who wrote most of our tech threads no less).

PGT

im sure he knows what hes talking about, then i do know what im talking about too.. he say he knows whatever, i say i know whatever.. then whole bunch of people came in and make some funny jokes its cool with me, he wanna dis me thats i cool, ill dis him too.. so what? who the hell are you? if we dont argue and come up with better fact, how am i going to know who is more accurate? quit acting like if you were some kind of Legacy GT cop, no one gives a shit. :lol:

ur right, thats why sti doesnt use this HIGH TEC intake manifold because legacy gt is more of a performance car.. ur right.. quit pulling shit out of your ass, subaru use this material to save money for the luxuries, it is also part of the detune from the sti to legacy.. talking about this plastic material cools faster..this material is strong and will take alot of heat and pressure, but the intake manifold doesnt do the cooling, thats why there is a intercooler.. my whole damn point of starting this topic is to ask if anyone acturally thought of or did get a better intake manifold that will take more pressure like the sti does.. i know what kind of intake manifold i have in my car and i know what it is made of.. and yo, this intake manifold will not take up to 2.0 of boost.. if u boost it up from 1.1 to 2.0 without at least changing that intake manifold, u will break it. so quit your bs and go read a book.

If you are going to run boost up to 2.0, your stock IC will not handle that. Hence it's gonna blow. Saying the STI IM will flow better is hearsay. Given the fact that plenum volume should be a function of displacement (50-70%). STI and LGT are both 2.5. And then there's that little thing under the IC called the throttle body.

but the intake manifold doesnt do the cooling, thats why there is a intercooler..
But a metal manifold doesn't not heat the intake charge.

my whole damn point of starting this topic is to ask if anyone acturally thought of or did get a better intake manifold that will take more pressure like the sti does.. and yo, this intake manifold will not take up to 2.0 of boost..
So you've pressure tested it then. Please show us the pics of the blown manifold.

if u boost it up from 1.1 to 2.0 without at least changing that intake manifold, u will break it. so quit your bs and go read a book.
Really? yo? I hit 1.1 bar in my Stage I cobb all the time, in the winter I see spikes to almost 1.2 bar. Stage II runs higher. I expect slightly higher boost in February when it's 0F out. No blown manifolds yet.

alright alright.. whatever, its not what i was asking at the first place.. if you think u can boost higher, go ahead.. as for me, i will change the manifold.. and like the other guy who was saying its better than the engine's material, then maybe the whole engine should use that material, right, save money, lighter, prevent heat soak. you might even gain couple horse power.

That wouldn't make sense though. The engine sees much more pressure and heat then an intake manifold ever will.

Look feel free to change your intake manifold, its not that bad. Easiest way to do it would require a change to your intake manifold, throttle body, intercooler and turbo. But, those parts can be gotten for cheap, and the labor can't last more then a day (even for me). If it makes you feel safer about boosting high, then by all means do it.

But a metal manifold doesn't not heat the intake charge.

So you've pressure tested it then. Please show us the pics of the blown manifold.

Really? yo? I hit 1.1 bar in my Stage I cobb all the time, in the winter I see spikes to almost 1.2 bar. Stage II runs higher. I expect slightly higher boost in February when it's 0F out. No blown manifolds yet.

I run a consistent 1.3 bar in 2,3,4,5 gear. No blown IM.

and like the other guy who was saying its better than the engine's material, then maybe the whole engine should use that material, right, save money, lighter, prevent heat soak. you might even gain couple horse power.
Yes. Or polymerized metal alloy, if that ever happens.

dude just shut up while you are head..

the intake manifold will easily take 2 bar and i wouldnt be surprised to see it take up to 4 bar of pressure..

ever look at the "plastic?" not exactly frail stuff.. and it is rather thick...

sooo before you go spouting off at the mouth of the PORSCHE engineers who designed the manifold dont know anything about FORCED INDUCTION on BOXTER MOTORS i suggest you think about things..

Guest blahblah123
dude just shut up while you are head..

the intake manifold will easily take 2 bar and i wouldnt be surprised to see it take up to 4 bar of pressure..

ever look at the "plastic?" not exactly frail stuff.. and it is rather thick...

sooo before you go spouting off at the mouth of the PORSCHE engineers who designed the manifold dont know anything about FORCED INDUCTION on BOXTER MOTORS i suggest you think about things..

yes i wont be responding for a while.. 1 minute to be exact, eh yo, STFU, 4bars?? this guy is a clown, okay.. i never said that i wanted to boost my car to 2.0, cuz i probably will break the IM, and To the deer killer guy, 1.1 bar is stock, i know i can boost to 1.1 bar.. idoit

yes i wont be responding for a while.. 1 minute to be exact, eh yo, STFU, 4bars?? this guy is a clown, okay.. i never said that i wanted to boost my car to 2.0, cuz i probably will break the IM, and To the deer killer guy, 1.1 bar is stock, i know i can boost to 1.1 bar.. idoit

Check your owners manual.....1.0 is stock for an STI. 13.5psi is stock for a LGT. :lol:

Archived