LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

We thought that about the 5th gen models, until we found another table which sets maximum RT by rpm. Once you raise the limits in there, it's possible to raise RT all the way to 512.

Changing RT helps a lot, and seems to increase line pressure and shift points slightly as well. Changing CT is less obvious but in logs you can see the time taken to shift drops significantly, and revs drop immediately and no 'floating' around. Subjectively the shifts are firmer. YMMV and all that.

Link or is that information not public?

I remember reading somewhere that there's a max 'value' for the RT programed somewhere in the ecu can be changed, but even after adjusting that it still only operated to 408. The TB didn't open all the way.

I go googling late at night, I come back with more knowledge, but no idea where it came from:lol:

We were getting stuck around 400RT but then the table that capped it was defined. Throttle position is not determined only RT, it's also related to the requested torque base. Unless the ratio tables are screwed up, RT being higher than the requested torque base will get you 100% throttle plate angle.

You can read up on this at Romraider.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

If you can find a subaru part number there's probably a vendor that carries them somewhere.

Have you searched google? A quick one I did turned up a place called cobra transmission. But you had to call for prices.

Edited by FLlegacy

• 3 weeks later...
So you actually can tune up the 5EAT Tcu?

Its not really tuning up the tcu. The ecu based on the programming logic between the ECU & TCU, tells the TCU how much torque to apply to the clutches - based on many inputs.

In respect to the dbw table (request torque), if you advance this and adjust the Target Throttle position table (which takes the input request torque from the accelerator table) you can make the TCU behave the way you want.

So in essence, balancing the DBW RT and the Engine Request TQ, then you can have the wonderful 5EAT work the way you want.

I am hoping within 2 months, I can post the results of a car I will be working on that will be a 10sec car using the 5EAT - which will be built to handle the torque.

Take a look here with some of the 5EAT shifting:- https://www.youtube.com/user/westminist/videos and compare it to your 5EAT. I would post more on this but all of my data is based on feedback which I get and thats promo.

I would beg for more vids but its against the law in many countries to drive and hold a camera :)

For further knowledge to understand how some ems affects this in TCU cars, view here. I find it very good and review other EMS, this company seems to do it well, but the technical knowledge impart is helpful for the community to understand. If there are others, you can post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COs5lHcpXNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTDWctNFzTs

Edited by west_minist

08 5eat, lately I have noticed the tranny seams sloppy, when going from park to reverse to drive ect. Center diff bearings maybe?

i doubt it be enter diff stuff, because it would be banging when you turn.

could be your drive shaft u joints. or something else is funky.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Another good example is when you put it in park on a slight slope, it will make a loud click. Same for going into drive. U-joints do make sense, I'll check them. Are the diff bushings an upgrade on the 08 style Trans as well? The vf52 puts the 5eat to the test and I'm thinking about switching to e85 soon.

Fyi the parking pawl is only on the front diff. So the driveshaft is free when in park.

That explains why the abs sensor had a coronary when I started the car while all 4 wheels were in the air and the rears started turning.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

yes. They will roll ~1ft.

All automatic transmissions are like this.

i wouldn't say 1 foot !

usually 2" or less

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I have one installed. What was your question?

I've been thinking about one too...

How much cabin noise is added?

Any drawbacks?

Worth the $$?

^this! And which hardness do you have?

I know it's only $45... But that's a real pain in the ass to go through for nothing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

There is a little bit more noise transferred into the cabin. My car is far from stock so its hard to hear all the noises over the exhaust but I did notice a slight increase in noise and a little vibration. On a stock exhaust car you may notice it more.

I think it was worth the noise. It tightened up the feel of the transmission a good bit.

There is a little bit more noise transferred into the cabin. My car is far from stock so its hard to hear all the noises over the exhaust but I did notice a slight increase in noise and a little vibration. On a stock exhaust car you may notice it more.

I think it was worth the noise. It tightened up the feel of the transmission a good bit.

So, that means I should probably sort out my rough idle issue first before I go and transfer even more drivetrain movement into the chassis. But once that's done, I'll definitely be getting one of these!

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.