LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

Yea ring and pinion is the easy part.

Its the freaking out tcu/ bcm / ecm after the fact that is the hard part

That is exactly it. No one knows for sure what will happened.

I just customized an aftermarket TB from boomba for the STI and fit it to my 3.6R.

Even the guys at boomba were a bit weary thinking that I would get codes or the butterfly valve would get stuck at WOT.

I got it on and no codes, doesn't get stuck, works fine. I need to tune it to get the AFR back to where it needs to be, but other than that...no problems.

Maybe it will be the same situation, but I'd have to go into it for a few thousand dollars and not a few hundred like the TB.

I am not quite ready to trail blaze the ring and pinion.

If you guys know any shop in the SF Bay Area, please PM me.

Cheers!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

if you want to go aftermarket mega squirt and mega shift you golden. but thats a major commitment.

Standalone ECU?

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Yea ring and pinion is the easy part.

Its the freaking out tcu/ bcm / ecm after the fact that is the hard part

The ECU has tables for the gear determination which are easy to edit. The TCU though... you might have to go to the unit from the Tribeca or even the STi A-Line for that.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

well even the abs is reporting speed back to the ecm.

the gear tables in the ecm is just so the ecm knows what gear the manual box is in from my understanding.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

The ecu also needs to know what gears the 5eat is in for manual mode.

well that is just for the per gear boost control,

the ecm wont set a error saying wrong gear ratio,

the tcu may say speed mismatch or something similar.

The tcm chooses gear and such the ecm just wants to know what gear its in

The txm also talks to the ecm , so i think the gear speed tables are only used on mt cars

So how does the ecm decide what gear the 5eat is in? By solenoids? Just seems if they built the capability into the ecm it would be easier to use it for both 5eat and 6spd rather than one ecm for the auto and one ecm for the 6 spd. But stranger things have happened.

The tcm chooses gear and such the ecm just wants to know what gear its in

The txm also talks to the ecm , so i think the gear speed tables are only used on mt cars

The values in those tables are different in AT and MT ROMs though, and between 5EAT models with different final drive ratios, like early/late LGT or LGT/OBXT.

Frederick, if you want to know for sure if chicken or egg came first, change the values in your current table to those from the model with the final drive ratio you'd like to use, which I think is the Tribeca if you're going for shorter ratios (3.583?). Remember to compensate for the difference (if any) in tire height. If you don't know how to calculate the thresholds just let me know.

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The values in those tables are different in AT and MT ROMs though, and between 5EAT models with different final drive ratios, like early/late LGT or LGT/OBXT.

Frederick, if you want to know for sure if chicken or egg came first, change the values in your current table to those from the model with the final drive ratio you'd like to use, which I think is the Tribeca if you're going for shorter ratios (3.583?). Remember to compensate for the difference (if any) in tire height. If you don't know how to calculate the thresholds just let me know.

Yikes...that would be for my tuner Rob at AMR.

It is the 3.583.

Are you saying, before I swap anything out, I can try to see if I can manipulate a table for final drive and tire height? I assume without going for a drive but to at least see if I can find them and change them?

Yikes...that would be for my tuner Rob at AMR.

It is the 3.583.

Are you saying, before I swap anything out, I can try to see if I can manipulate a table for final drive and tire height? I assume without going for a drive but to at least see if I can find them and change them?

If the table is defined you could try changing the values to see if that throws a code or causes the TCU to misbehave.

I don't think anything will happen. The threshold values are right in the middle of the gears, so the ECU basically knows which gear you are in from seeing which pair of impossible numbers your tire revs vs. engine speed are sitting at. Being 10% off 'target' isn't going to make the ECU think you're in a different gear.

There's a customer car I could try this on. I'll come back to this.

So how does the ecm decide what gear the 5eat is in? By solenoids? Just seems if they built the capability into the ecm it would be easier to use it for both 5eat and 6spd rather than one ecm for the auto and one ecm for the 6 spd. But stranger things have happened.

The trans mission is electronic it doesnt shift by its self what so ever.

The tcu activates the solonoids in different sequence for each gear.

But the trans has output soeed sensors for front and rear . They are before the diffs tho. So theoritically the tcu would be fine with a diff swap.

The speedo inside the car uses both the trans output speed sensors and the abs sensors. When my output speed sensors broke the speedo was still working but to a slightly different value.

You could just try setting the speed tables as suggested already. Or you could even put them to zero and see what that does i wouldn't think the ecm would even care. But that test would give us valueable info. But im sure there are a lot of differences between 05 and 2013 models

• 3 weeks later...
My brother has a 2006 lgt with 5spd MT with 77,000 miles and started having issues with shifting. Started to jerk in all RPM ranges but started with lower RPMs first. When driving it feels like driving a 4x4 with locking hubs and makes knocking noise. Tranny fluid smells burnt and is black. Any ideas what could be causing this??

Is it a manual or auto? This thread is for the 5eat automatic. There are threads for the manual trans as well.

If it is the auto first thing I would do is get that fluid changed but really it's not sounding good.

Is it a manual or auto? This thread is for the 5eat automatic. There are threads for the manual trans as well.

If it is the auto first thing I would do is get that fluid changed but really it's not sounding good.

Sorry if I put it in the wrong thread but it's a 5 spd manual

Edited by king_mikey
Typo

No problem to me you saw 5 spd. First I would get that old gear oil out and changed you will need to do this a few times before it is all better. At least two. If the trans is this neglected chances are the clutch may be too. So get the gear oil done and reassess what's going on. As for the binding it is common on cars that sit a lot. This may sound funny but try doing circles in a parking lot one way for a few minutes and then the other. That may free up the center diff if not you may need to take it to a good subie mechanic for a proper diagnosis.

No problem to me you saw 5 spd. First I would get that old gear oil out and changed you will need to do this a few times before it is all better. At least two. If the trans is this neglected chances are the clutch may be too. So get the gear oil done and reassess what's going on. As for the binding it is common on cars that sit a lot. This may sound funny but try doing circles in a parking lot one way for a few minutes and then the other. That may free up the center diff if not you may need to take it to a good subie mechanic for a proper diagnosis.

Thank you

if you have 5 mt binding issues and knocking when turning your center diff is toast.

its the viscous coupling, and it has its own special fluid inside. you cannot get new fluid.

for a friend i took the center diff out and removed that fluid and all the insides of the viscous coupling , so its just open center diff, as it was old 96 legacy beater and he didn't want to spend money on it.

if you want to fix it you need new center diff.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2001-5-mt-legacy-center-diff-binding-very-badly-208004.html

but try to post in the correct forum pages this page is for automatic trans specifically.

Edited by frank_ster

• 2 weeks later...

Hello i have a friend with a 05 Lgt 5EAT, his transmission just start to slip some months ago he bought another transmission but the new one keep acting strage, the vendor say him it is a 06 transmission and he need a 06 TCU, quiestions are:

are 05 and 06 transmission really diferent?

are 05 and 06 TCU pin compatible?

05-06 are different

I dont know if the tcu plugs in. Only differences are the speed sensors

What error code are you getting ? Somethin speed sensor?