LegacyGT.com

Input for window tint % ????

Aruss87

35 might be a better bet for front, unless you want to be decidedly dark (for the look). All films will drastically reduce solar heating, so don't worry about the incremental benefit of 30 vs 15. The difference for preventing sun baking is likely inconsequential. A shop can order anything, so saying they only have 30, 15, 5 does not mean those are your only options.

In my very subjective opinion, 30 front windows, 30 or 15 back seat. You can see out of 30 reasonably at night, though it can be a little annoying in dark areas when making tight turns.

15 is really dark. Daytime, it looks almost blacked out. I love the dark look for the rear of a wagon, not sure about sedans. Google pictures of legacies to see if you like the look of not really being able to see in from the outside, just a outline of the person sitting in the car.

5 is limo. My friend with an RS4 had to roll down his windows at night to see with 5 all around, or else everything was invisible except for what was under the most well lit street lamps at night. Looking behind his car from inside, you could only see two balls of light to have any idea a car was behind you.

I personally would never put 5 on a window I would need to look out of. Also 5 is a cop magnet.

Good luck.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I had my old Lexus LS400 done 35 all around, totally regret it. Wish I had done 50. Car looks like a poor wannabe gangster owns it. On the other hand, had my wife's silver Volvo S60 done 35 front / 30 rear, and it looks great. 35 all around would probably have been a little classier on the Volvo. On the OBP Subaru, relatively darker tint looks better from the outside. I LOVED the look of a 20 front / 12 rear ABP LGT wagon I saw. So point of all this is to say you really need to go with what YOU think looks good on your very specific car scheme, and works with the type of driving you do, and the locations where you will do that driving (in walkable areas you need to be able to see people; in more rural areas you're only worried about what's ahead of you (deer, etc).
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I'm running 35% fronts and 5% rears and ~95% of the roads I drive on are properly lit at night. I love the look, but sometimes think I should have put ~20-35% on the rear windshield instead.

Ah, well :p

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

I run 35% on the back 5 wagon windows. I love it. But it's not too dark. Looks tinted but certainly not blacked-out / gangster.

My wife's old car had 20% done and it was noticably darker / tough to look in from the outside.

5% is what we used to tint our cars back in the ghetto early 90's... people still do this???:lol:

i have 20 and you cant see in what so ever at night, especially at an angle, but in the day, you can see in just enough not to be pulled over.

ive never been pulled over for it, the 7 years i have had 20 on all my cars.

oh and i got limo 100% on my rear passengers and rear windshield, cuz thats legal :D

In my very subjective opinion, 30 front windows, 30 or 15 back seat. You can see out of 30 reasonably at night, though it can be a little annoying in dark areas when making tight turns.

I agree with this. I have 35 all around, works well, and I can see out the back okay unless it's pitch black behind me and I need to back up. Then I have to triplecheck for pedestrians.

But definitely a +1 on the turning thing. Pitch black outside + turning + 30% = make damn sure no one's there.

5%. go big or go home

+1

Seriously though, my car was already 5% on the rear doors/rear window when I bought it and I wanted the fronts to match so I got them done 5% as well. If I was doing it all from scratch I would have done 15-20% all around. 5% is hard to see out of at night when backing up.

I run 20s all over but the front windshields and I get pulled over twice a month in NYC! Thank God for a PBA card! I'm pulling the crap off and throwing on some 35s

PBA card??

Just got it back.. Got 15% and I'm so happy I did... Looks so freaking good!!!

PBA card??

Police/Patrolman's Benevolent Association.

Its a card that is given by an officer, to whom he or she is close to, that is part of the Policeman's Benevolent Association. When pulled over for a traffic stop that person can discretely hand the officer the card with their credentials. If the driver is courteous, professional courtesy is given to the driver out of respect to whom issued the PBA card for minor infractions. However, this is not the case in all traffic stops, the officer does not need to accept or even acknowledge it. It is all up to the officers discretion. Bottom line is it is not a get out of jail card to flash around, if you have one be discrete when giving it to an officer and always be polite and courteous.

By 'being discrete', they mean when the officer asks for your license and registration, hand them over with the PBA card underneath your license.

In the 5 years I've had mine, I've only used it once for speeding (+30 over the limit, running late for class) and only received a written warning. I'm 100% sure that without it, I would have gotten the ticket + points.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

IMO anything darker than 35 (front) is foolish. It does hinder your night vision. (my roomates car has 35 & I dont like being in it at night) Plus the fact that you just gave the cops P.C. to pull you over. My car has no tint but I am considering 50 for heat reasons
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I have 35% all the way around and think it's plenty dark with my black interior. I didn't want it too dark and get hassled by the police. I actually leave my sun roof shade open all the time to let more light in so it won't look too dark.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll177/jmark42/f448eb5c.jpg

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Archived