LegacyGT.com

How many miles do you have on your n/a legacy

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh noes :(

What's the estimated repair cost? I just know it's a problem with the older gens, but I never looked into how costly it really is...

I had mine done a few months ago. Dealer wanted $1700...I had it done for less than $1000 including OEM parts. Many great people on the boards who do great work at great prices!

update -- i received my car back from the shop (new headgaskets and timing/accesory belts. runs well. except it is struggling to start, turns over quickly after a short crank but the battery seems to be very weak, i'm losing all my radio presets. i thought maybe cause it was sitting in the shop disconnected for a week or so the charge was low so i drove the car to the mountains this weekend (about 2 hrs one way) and the next day, same symptoms still. the battery is about 16 months old, so i don't believe that's the issue. i'm wondering if i have a parasitic drain somewhere? i figured if the alternator was bad, the battery would be completely dead by now since i've had the car back for 3-4 days now and it's been able to start each time but it just struggles a lot. ideas?

Katalyst: It sounds like your battery had been deep cycled, AKA completely drained. If you do that just one time to a regular car battery you have just cut it's life in half. In your case it is so bad that you are even losing the radio presets. Your battery is roached. http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/universal/ba103.htm
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

i'm not really certain how the battery could have been deep cycled unless there was something causing it.

i go out of town frequently and leave my car sitting for a week and it usually starts without the hesitation it has now. prior to replacing my battery i had similar symptoms in the cold.

can a poor ground somehow cause the circuit to draw current while the car is parked?

There are a bunch of grounds to check, main one on top of the engine behind the throttle body, also one coming in from chassis to drivers side head area, may also have one going to exhaust on Pass side, Good news, they are all 10mm, if the bolt fights you coming out, ground is most likely marginal, start car and disconnect battery, still running?? Alternator is putt'in out, with ALL accessories on, brights, defroster, blower fan, anything elect4ric, you should still get around 13.6VDC while connected to the battery(multimeter), seriously, head gasket's are simple in it's self, but I rather pull the motor to do them, just easier for me, LOTS of grounds, check around, you'll find it and good luck!! (I keep thinking Ground, can't help it), unless someone dropped your starter, get it checked.

R/Mac

Katalyst, After reading your opening statement, "update -- i received my car back from the shop", I knew instantly why it drained. The mechanics were just careless and did something stupid like leave the ignition on. I've seen it done sooo many times. Pisses me off and some of them could care less. I wish I could fire them just for not having common sense or caring. The job done was not electrical related so you can stop chasing questionable grounds.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Put a 12v simple test light(probe type you'd check for power with, NOT a Power pack probe) Under "normal usage" one would connect the alligator clip lead to a ground or NEGATIVE on battery and of you put the pointy end on the positive, it lights(please at this point notice how bright it is with a new battery)! Here something I would try, Disconnect the NEGATIVE battery terminal, clip a test lead to the disconnected terminal, put the pointy end of the tester on the Negative battery terminal, how bright is the test light now, a small glow is OK, there are some residual drain from clock amd some powered circuits etc... You can use a ANALOG multimeter to see how much voltage is drawn, but hopefully your problem is fixed already!

R/Mac

• 2 weeks later...
78331 and DONE on my 2009. It was previously wrecked, believed to be related to my problem. Lost the motor this morning on a 1.5 hour drive, about 5-10 miles from my destination. I'm going to have a hard time buying another used vehicle ever again. My trust in other people is gone out the window at this point.

78331 and DONE on my 2009. It was previously wrecked, believed to be related to my problem. Lost the motor this morning on a 1.5 hour drive, about 5-10 miles from my destination. I'm going to have a hard time buying another used vehicle ever again. My trust in other people is gone out the window at this point.

Im sorry to hear that. yeah you really gotta be careful who and where you buy a used car from. It does suck that no matter what its still risky. i bought an 06 with 48,485 on july 1,2010 and the thing runs amazingly and still does with 70,700. Have some faith though there are good ones out there and subies are usually great and dependable.

108k miles now, on my 2006 SE.

I only have one moderately irritating problem at the moment, a lack of power steering at idle

Other than that, everything has been routine maintenance.

I've been spending much time mending little things over the past week, like the glovebox rattle and cabin air filter replacement.

I'm getting my LCA bushings replaced with AVO bushings next week.

108k miles now, on my 2006 SE.

I only have one moderately irritating problem at the moment, a lack of power steering at idle

Other than that, everything has been routine maintenance.

I've been spending much time mending little things over the past week, like the glovebox rattle and cabin air filter replacement.

I'm getting my LCA bushings replaced with AVO bushings next week.

Failing PSP? Any leaks in the rack, return lines , reservoir ? :cool:

Archived