LegacyGT.com

Symmetrical AWD Screwed Me Over... Totaled??

Am I misunderstanding the situation here? Help me out.

Lift off oversteer happens when you let off the throttle and then the car gets unsettled. This is typically in a turn.

What about when the rear end comes unsettled and you are already in the throttle when it happens? Due mainly to crap tires (AFAICT) my car has fishtailed on me before when I accelerated from an intersection. Thus far, I have let off the throttle, stayed out of the brake, and just counter steered back into a straight line. Then back into throttle again.

Am I making a mistake here?

You did the right thing in that instance. We're talking about driving here is normal driving. I posted earlier that I was driving in 1" of slush, going around curves at about 30-35mph. I told myself don't lift, if the car begins to slide, give it a little more gas to sat the suspension and make the tires dig for traction.

Years ago while driving to VT on rt91 during a healthy snow storm in my 00GT wagon with all seasons on. I stayed out of the line of traffic, which was in the left lane. The right lane had 4-5" of new snow. I could feel the car sit and dig when I was climbing a hill, as I crested the hill and let off a bit I could feel the suspension get light. The car handled great, but didn't feel as sat as it did under a little power. I was doing 35-40 mph.

Hope that helps explain how AWD works.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you have traction and the back end is sliding out, then you are probably going too fast for conditions and/or tires and getting your "drift" on.

I was accelerating from a standstill at a stop sign, in a straight line, and under partial throttle. The road was slippery, the car lost traction, and the rear end walked out on me. Got out of the throttle, counter steered, it snapped back over, and was fine at that point. It may have been fine as well had I stayed in the throttle instead of letting out. I don't know.

If the car isn't supposed to fishtail like that in a straight line then the only thing I can conclude is that my crap falken ziex all seasons are to blame or there is something wrong with the car. I tend to want to blame the former rather than the latter.

Sounds like a loose nut behind the wheel.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Obviously had I just barely nudged the throttle it may not have happened in the first place. Trust me (you won't) I wasn't getting into it much. Regardless it was obviously enough to cause the issue and if you want to be a jackass about it you can always put it back on the driver even if what they are doing really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I was more interested in if my response to the situation was appropriate or not.

I was more interested in if my response to the situation was appropriate or not.

Yes lifting in that case was correct. I don't know the temp, may be ice or some other car may have dropped some anti-freeze or fluid.

My wagon spun the rear and slide a bit years ago, taking off from a stop light on a up hill that had a little dip in the road just over the hill across the intersection, so I was well into the power band, just lift for a second, it was fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So 8 pages in to answer your question about your car being totaled it's quite obvious-

We can't tell you. From the expertise on the board it seems to be that it isn't totaled but we could be wrong.

But dude, hopefully this is an expensive learning experience. If you feel the ass end give out bring the heat! You probably bought the Subaru for this very reason- 'safety'.

One of the first things I was told when I bought my LGT was if you get into a sticky situation, your foot on the gas will get you out of it. And I can think of probably half a dozen times when this advice rang true.

Glad you're ok, man.

Heard back from the insurance yesterday. They want to total it and give me $10K. I'm trying to have them reevaluate it and search for frame damage. If the frame is alright I'm going to push to get it fixed. Is this a good idea? Also, on a side note, they are allowing me to take off all my mods before they take her away, if that makes any difference.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Chris

I'd probably take the cash too.

See what the buy back is, though. You might be able to buy it back then sell it as a donor car to someone who wants to do a swap or something.

Ask if they will give you 14 days to decide on buy back, then post it for sale on RS25 and NASIOC. If no one bites, take the $10k and walk.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Man, i wish i had popcorn while reading this thread. I had more laughs then watching a comedy film. :lol::munch:

It makes me think of the time I was driving to fast into a bend, lifted off and braked. The back started playing games but it was very communicative and manageable. I should have downshifted to keep a bit of a load on the drive train.

All in all it got the heart racing and it was a valuable lesson in the way the car handles.

I'm glad you're in one piece OP, accidents are scary and suck.

As my grandpa would say. SLOW THE HELL DOWN.

Archived