LegacyGT.com

Symmetrical AWD Screwed Me Over... Totaled??

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing no. But you's have to look up from underneath the front corner.

It would depend on if you hit the cable on the outside or the inside of it as it comes off the pole. Think about how the angle works.

It looks like you hit it from the inside, because the hood is cut more then below.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think it's probably reparable. It doesn't look like you cut into the frame rail, which is good. And you didn't cut any significant wiring, which is also good. If you did real damage, that yellow wrapped wire bundle would probably have been cut and your airbags would have gone off.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

You should be fine as far as insurance goes. The only way you would have issues there is if your modifications somehow caused it, or caused you/someone bodily harm, etc. Something that would be excessively expensive and your fault.

To ShrinerMonkey - lift off oversteer is in no way Subaru specific. It's Physics lift off oversteer.

I know that lift off oversteer isn't unique to Subaru, but it is a very common flaw of Subaru's handling characteristics.

I know that lift off oversteer isn't unique to Subaru, but it is a very common flaw of Subaru's handling characteristics.

It's a common flaw of Subaru drivers.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Do you guys think that there is any frame damage? That is what worries me most...

There is really no point asking people on the internet to estimate your damage....that is what insurance adjusters and mechanics are for. I have been in two big accidents in my life and learned that once it happens, don't worry about the car, just be glad you walked away. They will fix your car, and if not then you get insurance money and get another car. Yeah it is a pain, but so what.

It does sound like you hit some black ice or something very slippery, if the road was dry you would have probably heard a lot of tire squeal.

my biggest concern is that if they total it i don't want them to take all my mods with the car... would i have to take the mods off before the evaluation if that's a concern??

sorry, i'm new to all this accident stuff :/

my biggest concern is that if they total it i don't want them to take all my mods with the car... would i have to take the mods off before the evaluation if that's a concern??

sorry, i'm new to all this accident stuff :/

If they total it, you can remove any aftermarket parts you want, you just need to replace them with the stock parts. You don't really even need to install the stockers, just throw them in there.

I think the video you posted reflects how not to drive the car. I suspect the tester is off throttle instead of staying on throttle. It's a common mistake in a dangerous situation. When the back breaks loose you have no grip to slow down the only think you can do is get going where you wont hit anything.

The announcer says the back steps out too much when you go onto an off ramp too fast and use the brakes to slow down. Meaning, he is going too fast, in the middle of the off ramp, car is turning, and then hard on the brakes. Which means......:spin:

That announcer guy bugs me. I used to teach at a driving school with a similar accident avoidance drill (not saying this to brag, any of you who auto x and race OWN me in driving skill) and I can't fathom what he's doing to make the tail come out like that. There's no way that's unintentional. In almost every stock car I've ever driven the car's going to understeer at the limits unless you are being an idiot or trying to let the tail come out.

Also I don't fear chopping off my passengers heads every time they enter my car... Consumer Reports is the most biased bs review source I've ever seen. Read about the legacy in Road and Track, Car and Driver, anything... And I bet there's no mention of it being excessively prone to oversteer.

OP - There are driving schools out there that can help you safely learn skid recovery, braking techniques, etc. They probably cost a lot less than this accident will. Lucky you weren't hurt that's a scary gash in your fender. I think if every person had to go through a more serious driving school we would see an insane reduction in accidents. Especially in wet/snowy/icy conditions.

Yeah it's your fault. Yeah most of us have done the same thing at some point, either with or without an actual crash. My first high speed oversteer incident left a trail of skid marks for like 200 feet back and fourth trying to correct and left me up a curb in some grass 2 feet from a light pole. Less than a hundred bucks for a new wheel and control arm and I was back on the road. That lesson scared the shit out of me, and I'm so lucky I didn't hurt anyone.

i'm not well versed in awd since i've only owned my '90 legacy 3weeks but i know if you let off the gas in a rwd the tail will fishtail but with a fwd you keep on the gas to straighten out the tail or you over drove the curve for the weather conditions. the posted speed limit is only a suggestion

"Guys, I can't drive for shit, this car's AWD sucks!!!!"

One of the many probs with America today - no one takes responsibility for their actions.. They always try to blame it on something or someone else.

When I was 18 and had a Firebird Formula - I wrecked that thing like three times. Never once did I say it was the car's fault.. It was my fault for mashing on a 300hp car with almost no prior driving experience.

Man up, you fucked up, fix it.

Doubt it. They won't cover the cost to replace your aftermarket parts, they will quote you the price to replace with OEM parts.

The insurance must put you in the same position you were in before the loss. They cannot replace your car with worse parts then what you had before....that would be illegal and you could make a complaint with the dept of insurance.

I'm an auto insurance adjuster.

Look up the word

Indemnity

I listed my aftermarket parts with my insurance company so they would hopefully take that into account in an accident. Did you do that by any chance? That's the risk you run if you don't...

You don't need to make a list showing what you had on the car. If you have an accident they'll be able to see what you had during the inspection. If you want proof of what you had in the case of your car being stolen the only thing that would help you are photos. A list of parts does not prove that you actually have them installed. At the end of the day they will only pay you for your cars market value. Many times the cars market value decreases with the addition of aftermarket parts...that's how insurance companies see it.

You most definitely do not have to wreck to learn.

^ lol. I was thinking the same thing. But many of us probably chose that route when we were 16-20. What if I didn't HAVE to crash my car to learn that you can't take a 90 degree turn at 60? If only there were some way for me to try stupid things like that in an empty parking lot or on a closed course instead of public roads... haha.

It shouldn't be totaled but maybe around 4-5k range to fix it. I don't think they'll replace your aftermarket stuff after fixing it. They usually replace it how it comes out of the factory with all oem stuff. They are body repair guys not tuners/racers, etc but if they do wow. Drive carefully and drive safer. Never panic when these thing's happen, that's when you'll overreact and do stupid stuff and crash. Just keep going, going and going.

Archived