LegacyGT.com

Symmetrical AWD Screwed Me Over... Totaled??

You should be fine as far as insurance goes. The only way you would have issues there is if your modifications somehow caused it, or caused you/someone bodily harm, etc. Something that would be excessively expensive and your fault.

To ShrinerMonkey - lift off oversteer is in no way Subaru specific. It's Physics lift off oversteer.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To ShrinerMonkey - lift off oversteer is in no way Subaru specific. It's Physics lift off oversteer.

Yep, I learned that lesson back in my 1985 300ZX. Had the car a few months when I came over a small rise and found a couple of guys working in my side of the road. Glad is had a sports car...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

First, I don't think your car is totaled.

Dude, if the poster has already admitted that may have contributed to the incident then there's no reason to harp on it. The poster is in touch with reality. Give him a chance to come up with a solution for himself.

the OP may have admitted after the fact that he is not absolved from blame, but perhaps a change in thread title is in order .... Mmmkay?:rolleyes:

Is that even possible, unless you have studded tires ?

This is when you need to know how to drive in unsafe conditions. Slow down. Use your head. I told my son before he got his license. In bad conditions, It's about getting there, not getting there first.

Yes, you can sipe any tire. I have my truck tires siped and my Mazda tires siped (Falken Azenis 912)

I actually turned my car to try and throw out the rear to teach myself to keep my foot on the gas. That is the only way to let the car do what it has to do. A very weird sensation!

Glad you're OK. Just run it through insurance and let them handle it. That's why you pay for it.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Subject line needs changing. I think insurance will cover the car as is.

Nothing 'caused you to loose control but yourself. I've put the car to the limit and found it to be very balanced. I think the video you posted reflects how not to drive the car. I suspect the tester is off throttle instead of staying on throttle. It's a common mistake in a dangerous situation. When the back breaks loose you have no grip to slow down the only think you can do is get going where you wont hit anything.

Glad you're ok.

This was already covered. Thank you very much for the kind comment.

Also, I found this video by consumer reports. I am in no way to cover up my driver fault, I'm just sharing what I came across.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/cars/sedans--hatchbacks/subaru-legacy-2008-review/14684540001/1352465487/

Chris

yes ok so because people like you cars suck ..

when you fix your car .. please remove the rear sway bar

so you can crash head on in to the next obstacle

if i had to drive a car what the back end never came out i would have to commit suicide. but for you and 90 year old ladys yes the rear sway bar should be removed.

my girlfriend likes the oversteer of her wagon and so does i.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Alignment influences lift-off oversteer more than almost anything else.

Removing the rear bar won't eliminate oversteer. I didn't have one in my Forester and I could make that car dance.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I've had the car oversteer under hard throttle before, and like someone else said, it was very progressive, and minor.

What was NOT progressive and minor was my bad driver correction, When I felt the oversteer, I lifted off the throttle, and BAM, lift off oversteer. Luckily, I was able to re-correct before anything bad really happened.

Lesson learned, and now I'm a better driver because of it.

BTW, OP, with a title like " Symmetrical AWD Screwed Me Over... Totaled??" did you really expect people to just come in and not say anything about your blaming the AWD?

Subarus are notorious for lift off oversteer. Plus when not on throttle your rear different is useless. I like using that lift off to rotate :) None f this power on :)

I've noticed in a turn when I start understeering I lift slightly it gets the rear a Tiny loose but its always manageable

Your insurance company will cover the damages, you can put whatever you want on the car, they'll cover you.

As someone stated earlier, if you have aftermarket parts that get damaged, they may not cover the full cost of the replacement. If they are functional parts, they owe you the cost of the stock replacement part - often times stock mechanical parts cost the insurance company more than aftermarket "upgrades." The issue of aftermarket parts comes into play more when there is theft involved.

As far as total vs. not, it depends on what's going on underneath. I don't like how far over the hood is cut. That tells me it must have gone through a lot of the internals to get there. But I'm optimistic that it's not totaled. And as I always remind people, buying back your car from the salvage company is generally not a good idea.

And the metal wire is called a "guy."

Alignment influences lift-off oversteer more than almost anything else.

Removing the rear bar won't eliminate oversteer. I didn't have one in my Forester and I could make that car dance.

did you take it out ? or did it not come with one ?

lots of cars don't have them to balance them to not have over steer.

disconnect yours and see what it becomes. that lil coat hanger changes a lot.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Yes, you can sipe any tire. I have my truck tires siped and my Mazda tires siped (Falken Azenis 912)

Not trying to start a war. Not saying you shouldn't sipe. I did not know anything about siping so I looked it up. This is an interesting read.

http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4168146.html?m=y&smobile=y&c=y

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

did you take it out ? or did it not come with one ?

lots of cars don't have them to balance them to not have over steer.

disconnect yours and see what it becomes. that lil coat hanger changes a lot.

I took it out.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Dude, if the poster has already admitted that may have contributed to the incident then there's no reason to harp on it. The poster is in touch with reality. Give him a chance to come up with a solution for himself.

the OP may have admitted after the fact that he is not absolved from blame, but perhaps a change in thread title is in order .... Mmmkay?:rolleyes:

I was commenting on the title of the thread solely. Symmetrical AWD did not cause the accident. Don't everybody go and get your panties all up in a bunch. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd estimate $4800 in damage, as long as the front crash beam is straight.

This was already covered. Thank you very much for the kind comment.

Also, I found this video by consumer reports. I am in no way to cover up my driver fault, I'm just sharing what I came across.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/cars/sedans--hatchbacks/subaru-legacy-2008-review/14684540001/1352465487/

Chris

lol how fast is that guy going to do that on DRY asphalt wow!! That's in a n/a tooo wow!! All my car does in the dry is understeer, but that guys is fricken ken block in that 2.5i!!!!!! He was trying so hard to resist smiling!!

Archived