LegacyGT.com

Redstriker's LGT Journal

Time for an update!

I've been loving my car setup right now, but it may be time for some more power. I'm looking at options on what to do. Also, looking around for what to buy for clutch and flywheel setup (note that I do autocross at least once per month). I also might get a smaller RSB so I can rotate the rear of the car a bit better in autocross, still up in the air.

Currently, my car is in the body shop due to a friend of mine side swipping the drivers side with his truck last fall. I just got some time to finally get it fixed.

If you are competeing for points, keep in mind your class restrictions with your mods...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What class will you be in? I will be doing my first SCCA AutoX this weekend and I will be competing in ESP because of wider wheels/tires and lowering springs/Koni shocks. Also, technically, I think my Stage1 tune puts me in the Street Prepared class also.

I'm keeping in mind what class I want to compete in.

GTEASER, you should be in ESP due to Stage 1.

Right now, I'm in ESP. I have some friend's that tell me I should be in SM due to the rules about changing boost levels with a Stage 2 map, but I also have friend's that do national SCCA autox that say I'm in ESP. I've looked at the rules time and time again. The max class for our cars is ESP, unless you go build your engine, then you will be in SM.

Also, remember when you race to put "T" in your class due to recent tire rule changes for this year. If you are on street tires, you must have a "T".

My understanding of the rules is that currently you can change the tune and boost levels (Stage1, Stage2) and remain in ESP, but as soon as the engine internals change or turbocharger is upgraded, that forces you into SM. You are saying that there is going to be a new boost level parameter in the rules that differentiates between ESP and SM based on boost, regardless of stock componentry?

What is this new T for street tires?

My understanding of the rules is that currently you can change the tune and boost levels (Stage1, Stage2) and remain in ESP, but as soon as the engine internals change or turbocharger is upgraded, that forces you into SM. You are saying that there is going to be a new boost level parameter in the rules that differentiates between ESP and SM based on boost, regardless of stock componentry?

What is this new T for street tires?

As for the highlighted part, that is what a few friends are saying. My understanding is the same as your own.

T for street tires is everything but slicks, if I understand correctly.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Logan for your awesome job at tunning. I need to do some pulls with my most recent revision, but I'm moving to an apartment this weekend.

Also, I installed the Whiteline roll-center kit finally after having it for the longest time. I do have the Perrin Shifter bushing that I'm waiting to install at the moment. Waiting on the washer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Perrin Shifter bushing installed with STI washer. Loving it!

Also took it out to autocross today and won my class, ESPT.

Now a bunch of people are saying that I should be in SM for autocross when I am nowhere near those numbers for times. I'm like 1-2 seconds off from them.

That is what I say as well, but a couple of them are trying to get me with the tune pushing more than stock boost and a catless downpipe and get me into SM.

In order for me to be even somewhat competitive in SM, I have to get KW v3s, really sticky street tires or r-comps, and buttload of more power.

That is what I say as well, but a couple of them are trying to get me with the tune pushing more than stock boost and a catless downpipe and get me into SM.

Yeah, but stock turbo. I could understand if you had a bigger turbo and the boost you were pushing was more than the boost that the stock turbo is capable of, but as long as its stock hardware, then I really wouldn't give in to their whining.

Yeah, but stock turbo. I could understand if you had a bigger turbo and the boost you were pushing was more than the boost that the stock turbo is capable of, but as long as its stock hardware, then I really wouldn't give in to their whining.

I'm not giving into their whinning, but they are going to practically force me to go into SM next time.

Either way, I sent an email to SCCA to get a final ruling on the subject so I can get some people to shut up.

I'm not giving into their whinning, but they are going to practically force me to go into SM next time.

Either way, I sent an email to SCCA to get a final ruling on the subject so I can get some people to shut up.

Start doing track days instead. Way more fun.

I got an email back today on classification for SCCA autocross.

Hi,

I don’t exactly know what rear endlinks are. If this is anti-roll (often called “sway”) bar endlinks, they are allowed in all categories (restricted in Street category).

Roll centers can be changed but only by specific allowed methods. Seems like I’ve looked at the Whiteline stuff and it’s not allowed.

Bump steer kits are not allowed in Street Prepared; okay in Street Modified.

Not sure what “power” braces or strut mounts are. Sounds like chassis braces that are not allowed in any of the “Street” categories. Street Prepared and Street Modified can be pretty restrictive when it comes to chassis/unibody bracing.

The other things look okay in either Street Prepared or Street Modified.

Looks like you are more of a Street Modified car to me. I don’t think any of the chassis braces will do that much for you, but technically, they are not allowed until you get to the Prepared and Modified categories. Even the roll center and bump steer components are probably not going to make much difference. At the local SCCA Region Solo events, I’d ask if you could run in ESP and let the other ESP competitors know, too. If it’s too much controversy for ESP, just run SM. Most SM competitors would be okay with someone using bump steer and even roll center stuff, even if it’s not allowed. I wouldn’t suggest that you enter an SCCA National Solo event with any non-compliant components however; competitors usually are a bit less forgiving at the National level.

Since you run at so many different area events, you might just make life easier and run in SM.

Hope this helps. I’ll be glad to discuss this further.

I've emailed the guy back asking questions as to what is legal in regards to roll center kits and bracing for the Street Prepared and Street Modified classes.

So right now it looks like I'm either ESP or SM but more leaning towards SM.

Archived