LegacyGT.com

Redstriker's LGT Journal

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another reply from SCCA.

Hi,

I’ve had a chance to look up the components.

The Whiteline roll center/bump steer kit is just replacement ball joints and tie rod ends. These components (ball joints per 2014 Solo Rules Section 16.1.E and tie rod ends per Section 16.1.F.1 on page 108) are allowed to be changed in Street Modified, but not in Street Prepared. Street Prepared does not allow alternate ball joints and tie rod ends that change the suspension geometry. I’ve seen some kits (on a WRX, I believe) that actually were replacement subframe bushings that actually moved the location of the subframe. Sorry for the confusion.

The only chassis bracing allowed in Street Prepared and Street Modified are what’s commonly called strut tower braces, lower tie bars, and subframe connectors. The allowed strut tower braces attach in only 2 points at the top of the strut attachment point. The lower tie bars are also 2-point connecting the lower control arm suspension attachment points. Both of these braces are parallel and run from side-to-side; you can have a maximum of 4 – front upper, front lower, rear upper, and rear lower.

Subframe connectors are used on Mustang and Camaro vehicles. They connect the front boxed frame welded to the underside of the floor (subframe rails) to the rear boxed frame welded to the underside floor to prevent the floor from buckling in the center. This term “subframe” does not mean the same thing as it does to other vehicles. It is not the removable portion of the chassis that holds drivetrain components; it is the welded portions of the unibody “frame” that are not removable. A good explanation can be found here - http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/track-day-car.283130/page-2. Subframe connectors just don’t apply to non-US cars.

Except for the Cusco chassis braces, looks like an SM car to me. I don’t think that most SM competitors will be very concerned with the additional chassis braces at a local SCCA Regional Solo event. I don’t think you’ll get much grief at an SCCA National Solo event, but just because the Street Modified guys “wink at” some of the non-compliant components doesn’t make it legal. If you’re beating the National drivers with a car that has a few non-compliant components, they may start to care a lot more. Just something to think about. J

With the added weight of the extra mudflaps, lights, etc. and the standard 7.5” wide wheels, I don’t see your car as an “overdog” in either ESP or SM. But I am not there so take it with a grain of salt. You’re more of an SM with a bit extra bracing.

Hope I’ve answered most of your concerns. I’ll be glad to answer more. J

The next response I hope to get from him is the rules on tunes for our cars.

Ya, if I remember a conversation that I had with my friends that own WRX/STI say that if they did the roll center kit, it would put them in FP class since it changes the location and is not a replacement.

More information in regarding to tuning your car for SCCA.

Hi,

I don’t claim to know what all the Cobb Stage 2 does, but there is no restriction on fuel, ignition, or turbo mapping. These are not restricted in Street Prepared or Street Modified.

Street Prepared requires basically that the engine long block has to be from any 2005-12 Legacy 2.5GT. Internal engine components should remain standard. External engine components can be changed.

In Street Modified, only the bare block has to be from Subaru – any Subaru. Now that may raise a question about what is the block. I’d say as long as the case and cylinders are standard Subaru, then you’d be okay.

• 3 years later...

So...it has been a minute...

I did have a to do another head gasket job (2nd head gasket) since the first time they did it the dealer messed up. That was back in 2016.

Though, I have been somewhat working with a certain company to get us something new.

• 1 month later...

Another update.

I have officially traded in my car this past Monday. It went towards the purchase of the new BRZ TS.

I am thankful for this community and grateful for what I have been able to provide during the early years of our generation of car. I hope the knowledge continues to help others or even the one that eventually buys my car.

Archived