LegacyGT.com

It was Merv's wagon, but now it is Naylors wagon. The build begins.

m sprank

I posted these last January. A good 11 months ago now. this is what came out of LosAngelesLGT car the first time. His first kit.

Previously posted pix of issues with said FMIC...

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94583&d=1294353179

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94584&d=1294353213

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94585&d=1294353213

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94589&d=1294353255

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94590&d=1294353255

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94593&d=1294353255

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94594&d=1294353515

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94595&d=1294353551

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94596&d=1294353551

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94597&d=1294353551

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still planning to install my WBR with the 68HTA upgrade... What did you do specifically Mike to make you comfortable with the fit? If you've already answered this in another thread, please direct me to it, as the only grouse I had heard was getting the bumper skin to fit correctly and figuring out how to keep the stock overflow tank.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

How can you expect everything to be fine and perfect when it's the only kit that keeps the stock airbox and overflow tank... it's not like they had a blueprint or a similar kit to go by when designing, and it's on it's 3rd version, you can't say it hasn't been improved on. FWIW

Because I make my own parts too and mine dont fit like that. Lol.

It has not been improved upon. I added the bolts for the timing cover and the split in the cold side pipe with hump hose coupler. Those are my mods that were finally taken into consideration. I even bought the bolts for him.

I was there for design and fit. The "blue print" was the XO2 kit. There is zero engineeering or testing. It fit "well enough", so the production run was orderd. Simple as that.

I dont do things that way. I am far to OCD. That is not a joke. Those who know me personally can attest that I am straight insane in the membrane. I try very hard to remain even keeled and "normal", but I am far from it.

I was onsite in the driveway from day 1 to day of delivery. The kit was designed around my SpecB. I was the fit and test car. It is no longer in my SpecB or any of my cars. It was my 5EAT that I used to prove I could make it fit with the OEM airbox. Fitting and working long term are two different things. Yes it fit. But not for long.

Oh, and keeping the stock airbox was not something that was planned. I took it upon myself to figure that out after the kit came home with me.

There is an entire encyclopedia to the story and the forum has heard only the dedication page.

Dale, I had to modify the piss out of the WBR. It had been previously modded by another shop. So, I had that to deal with, plus I was installing a STi manifold (on an LGT) with the kit. So, I had a lot to do. What I started with was not how the kit left WBR. Sorry, I am not a lot of help to you. But, I would try that WBR if I were you.

The blood is washed off, but the scabs are setting in. Want pix of those? Lol.

I have lots more pix. Figured I would just point out what I had already posted and save some server space. Lol.

The super scary pic is the inside of the cold side pipe. Looks like a shark attacking. Pretty sure my dead and buried grandmother can weld better than that. Guaranteed some of that aluminum makes its way up the pipe and into a throttle body. By the way, the pipes in the pic, I scrapped them at the recycling yard. Today you can get $2.25 per lb for clean aluminum. Hmmm.

I really wanted to stay out of this. It's like what do you do? Let someone make statement that are not true or respond and become a childish back and forth. But,I just want to set the record straight and correct untrue statements.

"I was there for design and fit. The "blue print" was the XO2 kit"

The Racer X kit has not one parts in common with the XO2 kit and shares not at single pipe or bend. The XO2 kit was not a "blue print" for the Racer X kit. The XO 2 kit I came up with started in my DIY FMIC thread where I was trying to see if a WRX FMIC would fit a LGT because we had few options at the time. XO2 saw what I was doing and bought the prototype. I was asked by the members to create the Racer X kit to address the short comings of the XO2. It is totally different from other kits out there.

You were only the test fit car for LGTs with an air pump. Many prototypes were made and fitted to my car before you got involved.

" I stopped selling them last Christmas when my complaints were shrugged off then. At that time I was the only vendor of the kit other than direct. Ever since they have been direct sale only and have never picked up another vendor."

The reason I never pick up another vendor is because of what happened with the vendor deal you set up, brought to me, and convinced me was a good ideal. The deal went bad and you tried to make things right and I only gave you 10 kits to recoup your money. Since then I have got request from shops that have installed my kit to become vendors and even in other countries. But, after the deal you setup I have turned them down. This whole company is something I started from the ground up by myself and I want to control it as it grows.

I really don't know what happened to us. I have only tried to help you from the beginning. I have recommended customers to you. You have been to my home and met my family and I have met yours and for it to come to this is disappointing. The venom in your posts is shocking and disturbing from a person I called friend. I only wish you the best in the future and I hope your competing '05-'09 LGT FMIC works out for you because it's great for the community to have more options.

All I ask is for people to view my install thread that is still very active after 2 yrs and make their own decision. It has over a 1000 post from actual customers that have bought some of the 200 kits sold worldwide. I only advertise here and 3GWRX and I don't bump threads everyday. A lot of sales come from word of mouth and I have a waiting list now for the kits coming in next week.

I will not post anymore in this thread. Thank you Bryan

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

damn all i'm saying is maybe the thickness of the pipeing is to blame for mikes problems? im no expert but in my own searching for a fmic i've noticed some options for thickness maybe that would address these issues? then again what do i kno i'm still very nooby

Pulled out my WBR piping and looked it over. It appears thin-walled, compared to the other thicknesses I've seen. Of course, bending it requires a tradeoff between thickness and malleability, so maybe it's as thick as it can be and still be malleable. Planning to powdercoat before install so hopefully won't bark too much off during the install. Any recommendations for keeping the coolant overflow tank?

BOT - your wagon will definitely raise the bar for the Subewagen.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

We are deciding on the FMIC route to take now.

We are thinking trying to go JDM if we can. Car has many JDM parts now (including front and rear bumpers). So, a JDM brand fits the cars style.

Called Blitz. Wow! Even at a "wholesale" discount their FMIC is $1700 plus shipping. Well, so much for being really different. So, I called AVO. Looks like that might be the hot ticket.

Spent some time wiring up the AEM wide band and boost gauge and mounting the double gauge pod in the cubby.

Two other appointments today (Friday), so project cars sat.

I would be more than willing to try that. But they have yet to release info on their North American LGT FMIC. It is supposed to be coming. I have not seen pricing. I would try to fit a WRX/STi kit even if we were swapping to an STi manifold.

I really like APS. The inlet pipe is APS.

But, something tells me it will be very expensive when it is available. It will also require their intake system. Look forward to being able to check it out.

I think the AVO will fit this build nicely and flow with everything else. Performance wise, it will be a big improvement. Esthetically it is in another league.

I came for the pics and was disappointed in how the conversation degraded to debating quality of FMIC kits.

I don't know how this forum feels about "censorship" but is there a way we can clear out (delete) the FMIC issues and stick with pics and development of Naylor's sexy wagon?

It's cool; I'm with the band

Cores fit fine, so far with JDM beam.

Current kit works fine (to a point as all cores have a limit) with an aftermarket or upgraded turbo. Which this car has. "Working" is not all I am looking for. Fit, finish, overall quality and esthetics are just as important as working in a build like this.

Have to get a hold of DAMD. I sent the wire transfer for the wheel weeks ago and they are claiming it never arrived. Aaarrgghh. Another speed bump.

Naylor has expressed interest in some CF engine covers. I see that a few of the JDM offerings might fit with the AVO. Hmmm... Now if I can convince him to spend the thousands required to remove all hose clamps and go full AN. Lol.

I say you guys should just shave the entire engine bay. Rip out stuff that is not needed, fill in all holes, repaint the engine bay and then put back the engine ;-) It's only Naylor's money.... ;-) He will need this type of modification to beat uzubair's wagon at the shows.... LOL ;-) jk....

Archived