LegacyGT.com

It was Merv's wagon, but now it is Naylors wagon. The build begins.

m sprank

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit a slight wall today. My utter disgust with the RacerX FMIC is coming through. It just fits like sh*t.

Already had to repair the pipes from the first install. This is the norm. I have two customers who are both on their second RacerX FMIC because of poor fit and destruction of pipes from the motor and ground. I pulled it from both my cars due to poor fit and issues. I pulled it from LosAngelesLGT car and replaced with a Perrin (he had already eaten through two RacerX and his motor bears the scars). Now Naylors piping is all scratched up from my attempt to install (even though I am very bloody from my attempt not to let it get scratched). It is still hitting in several places. I need to either modify the piping, add long spaces of just silicone hose and repaint or start over on the piping.

I also am having to re-route all my catch can plumbing to get around the damn FMIC piping (huge friggin u-turn off the turbo).

Rant over. No pix. Just blood.

I was actually the fit car for the in question FMIC. So, I have a more intimate knowledge of the kit than most.

After testing, more than a few flaws became apparent. After installing more than a few (10 or more), I am having trouble keeping quiet about it anymore. I stopped selling them last Christmas when my complaints were shrugged off then. At that time I was the only vendor of the kit other than direct. Ever since they have been direct sale only and have never picked up another vendor.

Big edit.....

Being tasked with building quality show cars and using the kit is pushing my patience.

Another rant over. The bleeding is subsiding. It is cold enough to slow the flow.

EDIT: ^ Ive installed 3 RacerX FMIC. Nearly impossible to install with zero scratches. Completely impossible to own with zero scratches. If a powertrain moves 2cm and there is only 1cm of clearance, something rubs somewhere. Admittedly, fabbing up some brackets, cutting away metal and making room helps. Only pointing out its not a show piece.

"Wow. Thats a RacerX FMIC...powercoated. How's that gonna work out?" sound familliar? :rolleyes: Pretty sure I asked that at the meet. The wild part is how much you cut to make it fit show style. Definately not trying to make this a bash RacerX thread as its admittedly a case of function > fitment and I had plenty of fun with my old FMIC (both of them:lol:). I made a lot of power with them.

I have posted pix of fit and QC issues in other threads before. Rather than turn this into a whats my least favorite FMIC poll, I will refrain from any more comments.

But, I am actively searching for a Perrin or AVO to takes its place right now. Perrin is out of production, but I think I can score what I need. AVO is available now. I have dealt with WBR in the past. That is what I customized for J's wagon (morningwoodiewagon). After I worked on it, I was happy with it. It was on display at the meet this weekend.

Archived