LegacyGT.com

How's my LV?

iNVAR

TBH, I tend to run the rows a little closer together through the spool area for better resolution. See you have rows spaced at narrow intervals down low... 2k, 2k4, 2k6... and then a whole 1k gap to 3k6. I scale something more like: 800, 1k2, 1k6, 2k, 2k4, 3k2, 3k6, 4k4, 5k6, 6k, 6k4. Make your target at 2k4 = 16.5, 2k8 = 18 and hold that to 3k6. Taper to 14.1 at 4k4, 15.0 at 5k6 and 13.8 at 6k. That fits much better to what you are actually seeing. Of course you will have to interpolate and smooth the rest of the table to do this.
Starting work on everything now. Going to smooth out the timing tables and everything. Also looking at making the resolution better in the suggested area. From looking at my 1294801248 logs, I can see what you're saying. My current target calls for 18 psi at 2600, which ... is JUST barely achievable in cold temperature in 5th gear (I hit 18.15psi, 61F, 5th gear, by 2585 RPM), so realistically, I can see that I should lower that target a bit.

Question related to this: should I adjust my WGDC tables to match this? I know it's not necessary, but do you think it'll matter a whole lot?

Thanks. :)

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do believe there are some tweaked boost targets in the airboy I sent you. Not complete of course...

Of course if you use a target you can hit in 5th with the car loaded with fatties and pointed up a hill you will fail miserably to hit that target in 3rd and unloaded. Legend did a great job of explaining this in the other thread. Try dropping to something like 16.5psi at 2k4 and 18psi at 2k8... you'll only find the perfect curve by trial and error but that is something to start with. You want the target line to have a bit of a curve as it approaches peak... going straight to peak and holding there would be nice but in practice a demand like this will always cause a spike. When you are working with a 3-port you can make the curve smaller but in your case you have to account for the poor control authority of the stock system.

http://i.imgur.com/5SZoP.png

This is a boost curve I developed for a 'stg1.5' '08 WRX. Spool is as late as it is because it has a stock STi downpipe. It tapers hard to below 10psi at redline because it has a stock TD04 and intercooler. You can see here how the curve flattens a lot in the cell before peak boost is reached, 16psi at 2k8 before jumping to the peak of 17.4psi at 3k2. If the car had a 3-port it would be possible to bring that up a little at 2k8 without it spiking. As it is, this car has very smooth boost control.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 4 months later...

*back from grave bump/update* It's been many months, and with the assistance/input from many people (especially Fahr_side and RidgeRacer whom I actually met in person!), through trial and error and tons of revisions (up to 70+ revisions!), this is how my LV is currently after almost 2 months without resetting.

I do get an occasional FLKC but it bleeds off after some WOT driving, so it may just be a phantom/stray knock that comes and goes from either noise, or throttle lift or maybe bad gas, who knows.

Just thought I'd provide an update. It's been quite a learning experience. Thank you all! :D

NOW, on to the real test... WARM/HOT weather. Let's see what happens!

587014881_LearningView_SS_A2WC522N_2012-03-06213451.jpg.38ff2102d7bf16f92a6526b16e59a09f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
No.

It resets learned fuel trims and turbo dynamics. Not the tune. Its equivalent to disconnecting your battery without losing radio presets.

What do you mean by turbo dynamics? That is not learned....afaik.

i thought td was learned. maybe not, i figured if the ecu logs boost error and it repeatedly doesnt hit target boost it would "cumulatively" learn how much wgdc to add. that's what i thought when i saw cumulative correction

drogos, figure the tune being stored on a hard drive and learned fuel trims as memory on a PC/MAC. one is "permanent" and there everytime you boot up, but memory is a temporary storage of data which comes/goes

i thought td was learned. maybe not, i figured if the ecu logs boost error and it repeatedly doesnt hit target boost it would "cumulatively" learn how much wgdc to add. that's what i thought when i saw cumulative correction

Nope. The only thing learned and stored is knock and fuel trims... And your idle.

TD is adjusted on the fly. In fact, it doesn't even learn for the duration of a drive or anything. It's VERY dynamic and activates and deactivates based on a boost threshold as well as an RPM threshold. Every time it drops below a certain threshold, TD is completely reset until it re-activates when it reaches the minimum threshold.

TD is explained here:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic1814.html

The name "Turbo Dynamics Integral" comes from calculus. "Integral" is something pertaining to calculus. Look it up on Wikipedia for an in depth and complex explanation. But basically it involves summing up values over an interval to get the "cumulative" value, which is capped by the value you set in the map.

And "Turbo Dynamics Proportional" is exactly that. It's a value that makes adjustment based on the over/under boost. It does so proportionally.

so I did reset ECU and I think it took me good 30 minutes to get IAM to 1. Is that normal? Are there any specific steps to take to get multiplier back to 1 faster?

If you are confident about your map or in the process of tuning, set initial IAM to 1.00 so you don't have to wait for it to slowly ramp up. I do this during tuning so I don't have to wait after every revision. If it's not my own car then when I'm finished with the tune, for the final revision I set it back to 0.50 just in case the owner is in the habit of resetting the ECU himself, or if his usual shop will do this.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I am smart enough not to mess with things I'm not 100% sure I understand

I think this is what you meant. ;)

not sure if this is the right spot since I didnt read thru all 15 pages. Im planning on getting a OTS stage 1 map from Infamous within the next few weeks. I have the cable and downloaded all the programs and ran LV. I have a screenshot from it but I have a few questions.

1. Does everything look okay? I have no idea what any of the numbers mean.

2. Do I need to do a Romraider log if I only plan on going stage 1. No plans of stage 2 anytime soon.

Sorry for the noob questions but ive never tuned a car and dont want to mess anything up.

As for logging, it won't hurt to log now and see how things look. Better safe than sorry... You know... see what the health if your car is before you introduce a new map to it. Do a Google search for "how to make useful datalogs" and it should come up with a link to a post by NSFW on the romraider forums.

CAL ID:A2WF200N
Description: 06 USDM Legacy GT MT
ECU ID:4512783106

IAM    1.0000

A/F Learning #1:
0 - <5.60    5.60 - <10.00    10.00 - <40.00    40.00+
13.00        3.20             7.20              1.80  

FLKC Table      0 - <0.85    0.85 - <1.10    1.10 - <1.35    1.35 - <1.60    1.60+
0 - <1650       0.00         0.00            0.00            0.00            0.00 
1650 - <2600    0.00         0.00            0.00            0.00            0.00 
2600 - <3200    0.00         0.00            0.00            0.00            0.00 
3200 - <4000    0.00         0.00            0.00            0.00            0.00 
4000 - <4800    0.00         0.00            0.00            0.00            0.00 
4800 - <5800    0.00         0.00            0.00            0.00            0.00 
5800+           0.00         0.00            0.00            0.00            0.00 

hows that? when I click screenshot I cant find it then. I clicked copy and then pasted it in here.

Archived