LegacyGT.com

How's my LV?

iNVAR

This is a stage 2 infamoused car and I've been running on it since... around October 2010. He gave me the all clear after taking care of some heatsoak problems and the addition of a mid-pipe muffler. We went through all 6 revisions.

I like to follow up on stuff though, and it's been hot lately. Today, it's been cooler. How's my LV look?

Bear in mind, this is NYC, and it is my daily driver, so I guess some heatsoak is to be expected and some knock as a result.

The A/F learning looks okay to me, within tolerances. The only big knock I see is the -5.60 at 1-1.5 load, which I'm fairly certain is shift knock. You guys think I have cause to be concerned about the other bits of knock?

edit: list of mods: AVO TMIC, AVO panel filter, Invidia catted DP, Invidia catless UP, SPT CBE, Magnaflow midpipe straight muffler.

1936590601_LearningView_SS_8-15-2011161637.jpg.c08af4bf701f7b9e05b8e17fb60fdf7d.jpg

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm strongly leaning towards the knock of -5.60 at 1.00 < 1.50 being shift knock, and I have a feeling the two -2.10s in 2.00 < 2.50 are shift knock as well. When Shamar was re-tuning it, the 3rd gear WOT pull looked completely clean. On the other hand, outside temperature was quite a bit cooler at around 60F in October 2010. NYC saw a few heatwaves (85-105F) the last few weeks. Today, weather was around 70F so it was nice and cool.

Hmm, perhaps I'll have to reset the ECU and do a few pulls to see what's going on.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. I'm tempted to ask Shamar, but as I understand it, he's been extremely busy with tunes and stuff lately. :) Plus he's under no obligation to help me out now anyway.

Best way to check is to reset the ecu and do a few wot logs..could be shift knock but I have never seen it show up (on my lvs) in so many places. And even when it shows up in one spot it usually burns off pretty quickly. You have 4 knock events in a relatively small area of the map (4800 - redline) at around 2-2.5 load.

Just keep a close eye on it...try to catch it in a log.

-5 is a lot of pulled timing to just write off as shift knock. But you really need to catch that in a log to know what's going on. Reset the ECU and log a few pulls. Do at least one half-throttle pull, it'll increase your odds of getting in the range where that knock was happening.

-5 is a lot of pulled timing to just write off as shift knock. But you really need to catch that in a log to know what's going on. Reset the ECU and log a few pulls. Do at least one half-throttle pull, it'll increase your odds of getting in the range where that knock was happening.

This. Your MAF is off up top too. Do a reset and datalog a couple pulls, pull the learnign view and post up a 3rd gear pull. I'd like to see what your timing is doing up past 5000 rpm.

Hmm, you guys are scaring me. I'll do a few pulls at the end of the week to see what crops up. I'd prefer to do them in warmer weather to stress things a bit and possibly induce knock so that I can address it, but the weather's been much cooler these past few days unfortunately.

In the meantime, should I just reset the ECU anyway, and drive around normally and do another LV to see how it's doing? I guess it can't hurt... maybe I'll do that tomorrow morning.

What would be the point?

It would raise your timing back up, and then driving would knock it back down. If you're going to knock, you might as well do it while you have a logger hooked up, so you can fix it.

LV can give you a rough idea of how healthy your tune is, but it has very low resolution, so it doesn't often give you enough information to actually go make a change to your tune. If it shows a problem, you generally need to use a logger to actually find the problem.

I've used it to make broad adjustments to my MAF scaling or timing tables, but generally I prefer to base my tuning decisions on logs.

I guess in a case like this it's possible that your timing has a spike somewhere in the area where the 5 degrees were being pulled, so it wouldn't hurt to check into that possibility.

That's what I meant. If I reset it, I'll probably bring my laptop with me and log all my drives until I get a chance to do a another reset and do a WOT 3rd gear pull. Hard to get an open unoccupied stretch of road for a 3rd gear pull to redline in NYC...

Oh, yeah, if you're going to log then definitely reset it first. Make sure you have Knock Sum in the log profile.

Also, if you haven't installed the latest RomRaider release, you should. It came out a few weeks ago and it includes a "fast polling" option that speeds it up by a factor of 3 or 4.

Pulled another LV after a bit of daily driving. That's the first one with the knock. Then I did my daily commute to work, approximately 15-20 minutes of mixed city/highway driving. I started logging about 2 minutes before IAM went back to 1.0.

There are some knock events but nothing that I can see as being under high load. Everything seems to be low/mid load knock? Sorry for the huge log. I was thinking about cutting and pasting it into new files to isolate the knock s but wanted to present the whole context.

Pulled another LV after getting to work and attached that as well.

Again, any thoughts greatly appreciated! Will post another log later in the evening when I do my commute home. Perhaps I'll have an opportunity to go out and do a 3rd gear WOT pull too, but not sure.... probably not till Thursday/Friday.

log:

http://www.crimetank.com/misc/romraiderlog_20110817_065814.csv

1224067515_LearningView_SS_8-17-2011065439.jpg.82f11f09b0ae06922ac79b01c576752c.jpg

1050437659_LearningView_SS_8-17-2011071349.jpg.68e72074ea64720add29f1ca5e5fc6ab.jpg

If that's true and you didn't accidentally hit the "reset ecu" button, maybe you had a bad tank of gas? It just seems really odd that all of a sudden you went from having a lot of knock showing in your LV to having all but your idle fuel trim reset to zero's, including all knock values. IAM is at 1.000 but you can set it to start there in your ROM instead of 0.500 like stock......

All of this within a 20 minute drive to work.....?

-Steve

If I had accidentally hit the reset, the IAM would've read 0.75. That's what it starts out with all the time when I reset it (right at the beginning of the log.) It's definitely right, I didn't reset it. :)

Bear in mind, it's only 13 miles of driving, and it was also only about 65-70 this morning. It's entirely possible that most of that knock was due to heatsoak. I think I need to drive it a bit more... this afternoon should be a bit warmer. The drive was also pretty easy. I only had the opportunity to go WOT I think twice in second gear.

I'll post up another one this afternoon, and I'll try to get some more spirited driving in.

Temperature outside is about 80-85F... definitely warmer than this morning. And also more time to heatsoak due to heavier traffic. Drove home through light traffic, then onto a highway. You can see where I'm in the traffic and when I'm on the highway (the knock sum stays at 10 for a very long time during the highway drive despite my flooring it occasionally.)

LV is still very clean.... wtf.

Total miles driven so far: approximately 27 of mixed NYC.

Again, apologies for the large log. There are only a few knock events in there, and it seems that the VAST majority of them are under low load and low RPM.

Very puzzled. Maybe it really was just a bad tank of gas? Or else the knocking was from when the temperature was significantly higher outside.

log file approx 1MB.

www.crimetank.com/misc/romraiderlog_20110817_161827.csv

2022201591_LearningView_SS_8-17-2011163542.jpg.a19f0dd65b56fe224d6b1c8abc3259f2.jpg

If I had accidentally hit the reset, the IAM would've read 0.75. That's what it starts out with all the time when I reset it (right at the beginning of the log.) It's definitely right, I didn't reset it. :)

See thats what happened with me.

I posted some odd looking LV then the next day it looks like it has reset somehow even though I never did it.

See thats what happened with me.

I posted some odd looking LV then the next day it looks like it has reset somehow even though I never did it.

No, that's not what happened to me. I DID reset it, on purpose, and then I drove around, only about 27 miles total so far. Temperature is also significantly lower that in the last few weeks, and I still haven't done a 3rd gear pull. The previous LV had a few thousand miles on it.

You *never* reset it. For all of that knock to disappear on your log and the IAM to suddenly jump back up to 1 and all the A/F to be be pretty much zeroed out is VERY strange which is why I think you might've reset it. Your log looks completely pristine which most definitely should not be the case since you 1) have an aftermarket intake 2) aftermarket DP and 3) no tune.

Not quite the same. :)

Also, if you haven't installed the latest RomRaider release, you should. It came out a few weeks ago and it includes a "fast polling" option that speeds it up by a factor of 3 or 4.

Really?! Can you link me? I do not see it under "New Releases"

new log, almost all events are low load ( <1) and less than 30% throttle.

again, sorry for the big log, approx 1MB download

www.crimetank.com/misc/romraiderlog_20110818_064716.csv

LV still looks very, very clean. VERY strange.

all after the usual 13 mile drive to work. temperature is around 70-75F. mixed highway/city NYC driving.

681162242_LearningView_SS_8-18-2011070500.jpg.df4106479c6d8a70fe14481b9fe46783.jpg

Log and LV look very nice...maybe you had a bad batch of gas that has since burned off.

You still need to put more miles on it and not just low load low RPM stuff in order for the LV to fully develop. Right now your higher end fuel trims are still at 0, you gotta spend more time driving in that higher airflow range.

Archived