LegacyGT.com

What'd you do to your FIRST Gen. Subaru today?

Drove the 93 home today. Still need to swap struts and get an alignment. Really want to burn through the 1/3 tank of old gas. So decided to drive her. First time I've ever driven it more than one mile...
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I got avg of 28mpg on the highway this trip to cali and back. I'm stoked cuz my last build only got 23mpg. It was running much leaner and the coefficient drag is really low on our first gens.I also continued bodywork on the drivers door.

just got a 92 AWD legacy for 100 bucks,300k plus miles.runs good just needed some minor work to it. Changed out headlight bulbs, added tranny fluid,cleaned fogged out lenses, replaced handl on rear hatch,put on new driver mirror, fixed wipers and drove it all day

Have been actually getting something done on the car lately. Finally got the pass side cv axle replaced. Replaced all the front wheel studs and threw new lug nuts on the front.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm311/scoobydoo731/Legacy/IMG_0467.jpg

Went to pick and pull and scored some 96 outback floor mats, seat belt out of same outback to try and ditch the auto-belts, replacement coil, another maf, the blue intake tube came off a 96 impreza which had a similar air intake setup so i figured i would snag it and see what i could do with it, and lastly a fender in much better shape than my current one.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm311/scoobydoo731/Legacy/IMG_0471.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm311/scoobydoo731/Legacy/IMG_0470.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm311/scoobydoo731/Legacy/IMG_0469.jpg

Also got my amp put in.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm311/scoobydoo731/Legacy/IMG_0468.jpg

Also threw on a group n pitch stop i picked up. It seems to drive smoother with the new one. Looking at the old pitch stop it seems to me if i could replace the old busted rubber in the pitch stop it would make a good upgraded piece. So i ordered some delrin rod from spruce aircraft and am going to see if i can make some replacement bushing inserts for the stock piece.

Edited by scoobydoo73
more info

Ugh, my SS is running like complete shit. I'm getting really frustrated. It is very very slow to accelerate and then when it finally picks up it bucks and feels like there is a crazy misfire or explosion occurring.

I did put new wipers on it today though. There is a sale at Pep Boys on RainX lattitude wipers. Buy one get one free with mail in rebate until the 15th. They work great!

Sent out the heads to have new valve guides and seals installed. Along with a resurface. As soon as that comes back I will get the heads put on and be replacing all the hoses. Then exhaust.

This is on a 93 Silver SS by the way.

Sweet Baddog! You'll have to ask subikid to fab you a turbo inlet elbow/coffee can intake!

I ordered a Walbro 255 fuel pump for the SS. The correct model is the GSS341 400-791 if anyone cares to know. It should be plug and play. We'll see if this helps my problem. I also want to check the injectors, coil pack, and get a smoke test in case I still have some vacuum leaks.

I replaced the fuel filter. Car is running much better now and I can't wait to install the Walbro 255. I think it may fix my hesitation/misfire problem.

I tested the ignition coil and injectors. The ignition coil is within specs but the injectors are 0.5-2 ohms off. Once I install the Walbro I'll let you know if I need to replace the injectors.

The pitch stop upgrade is a great upgrade, it helps the tranny take more abuse, I did the sti transmission group n mounts also. It really take the rubbery feeling out of shifting. One big problem with the 5 spd transmissions is the flexing in the tranny case under high loads, pulls the gears apart and breaks teeth. Anything to stiffen up the driveline will help. I have a slightly used left hand side sti motor mount ill sell for 20$ if you decide to upgrade all your mounts.

Yesterday I did more bodywork ....no fun but at least 2/3 of the car is done. I've got at least two weeks into fixing all the little dings from hail damage. One hail stone almost pierced the roof. I'm also modifying my old SS grill by cutting out the center and installing a piece of expanded steel for the grill. I'm not really a fan of chrome on a subaru so all chrome will be gone.

I swapped out the original fuel injectors with a spare set that I had. The spare set tested 11.6 ohm each and were within FSM specs (11/12 ohms). There was a noticeable gain in performance. The Walbro 255 should arrive in the next day or two and I look forward to installing it.

I swapped in the walbro 255. Acceleration is greatly improved. It didn't fix the misfire-like problem that I am having though. :( I was pretty hopeful it would.

So tomorrow I am going to build a boost leak tester and see if I can find any leaks. I would be surprised if I did since I have replaced the entire intake system as well as most of the vacuum lines.

I want this thing fixed!!! I hope it isn't a bad piston ring or something.

I checked the resistance of the ignition coil a couple of days ago. The primary coils registered 1.0-1.2 ohms (FSM spec 0.7-1 ohms). The secondary coils registered 14.2-14.5 (FSM spec 13.9 ohms). That is within 95% of specs so I didn't think I needed to replace it.

I wasn't able to put together my boost leak tester today like I hoped. As soon as I finish that and see if there are any leaks I'll move on to the coil pack. Is there an upgraded coil pack that I should consider. I have been looking around and it appears that the coil packs for a 5MT and 4EAT had different part numbers so I am guessing that they wouldn't be interchangeable?

But at least the car is running much much better so at least I am moving in the right direction.

Sucks about the deceptive misfire. What's your plug gap at? I was told by my tuner to never run above .025" I run a .024". Not sure if its your problem but mine was occurring right at maximum torque around 3500-4500 under full throttle when the boost peaks. I was tuning it with him when I re gapped them from .028 to .024, the hesitation went away. The boost was blowing out the spark.

I've had a little gremlin I've been chasing for years with this driveline. It feels like a slightly warped brake disc from the front end. Only thing is I've replaced all 4 disc, pads, tie rod ends, installed a new set of wheels and tires. I thought back to a time when I nailed a curb really good with the left front, so today I installed a brand new hub, with bearing and seals. Bearings were pressed in by machine shop, to my dismay the vibration is still, slightly there. Its barely noticable but just enough to be annoying and I just spent 135$ for nothing. I've replaced almost everything rotating in the front end, I wish something would just catastrophically break so I could say no shit! that was it. Taking suggestions and even conspiracy theories

Edited by USLiberty