LegacyGT.com

Thinking of a GTR

LittleBlueGT

As some of you know I have been a Subaru guy for a while. Just sold my beloved LGT, and will be purchasing a new car next year (or new to me).

FWIW I sold it for $24,000 as is w/ track rims. I didn't want to sell it till next year, but seeing that I found just the right buyer that appreciated what was in the car, races (summer and on ice, etc...) I thought I would save the hassle of going back to stock.

My requirements:

-seat 4+

-DD, winter & summer, some track work (if you call Gimli a track, might go to BIR) although the once a year we might get 14 inches of snow we can go down to 1 car and drive the SUV

-500+ hp (or be able to modded up to that easily)

-AWD

What I was planning on doing before:

-2012 STI $48,000

-turbo kit (EFR, TS, FR, rotated) $5000

-suspension (coil-overs, roll-center, brasses, etc) $3500

-stereo (light weight) $3500

-different rims, tires $3500

-misc $4500

-Total is $68,000 (I know, you can do things cheaper, but I have been modding and tuning these cars for some time, I know what I want, I know how to spend more money on this stuff too[been there w/ last car])

Maintenance is not that low, as the tires I get will need to be replaced once every two years, and though some things are relatively cheap to maintain, there is the distinct chance I will need to build the block with forged pistons and some other goodies, to the tune of $8000-$9000 said and done.

-insurance is $1764 for the year

Thanks for reading (next post is about the alternative(s)) and thinking about what I want. Remember please, this is not about a car for you, it is about a car for me, so pls try and tailor your comments to help me:

-think about things from another perspective

-think about things I may have not considered

-learn from your experiences, good or bad

Pls don't try and convince me to get two cars, get a RWD car or something that only mods to 300 hp (unless it only weighs 1800 lbs) as those things don't fit my needs.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2010 GTR should be about $78,000 (taxes in, including procuring costs if from US, etc.....) FWIW all prices are taxes in said and done for accurate comparisons.

I have never driven one, so that should be top on my priority list. Any help here would be appreciated.http://www.prairiescooby.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

It seats 4, kinda, my 5'5" wife can sit behind me (6'0"), but not all that comfortably.

The GTR would need pretty much nothing, to fit my goals, just some 19 winter rims and rubber $2500).

Gas would be a touch more, maintenance would definitely cost more, but the chance that I might blow up the STI motor kinda equals that out. ($8000 can buy a fair bit of tires and brake pads and special tranny fluid).

On the GTR boards it is surprising how many guys that track their subies are seriously interested in GTRs.

I kinda hope the ride would be comparable (STI w/ coil-overs vs stock GTR).

I know the GTR is heavy, disguises it well, but is still not as agile as a 3350 car.

Stereo is nice, seats are miles better then the STI, in fact if I had an STI I would seriously consider JDM seats (w/ airbags, etc...) to the tune of well over $3500 a piece.

Insurance is identical to the dollar as the STI.

All said and done I am looking at just over $80,000, but the costs of braking things on the STI (like the inevitable new clutch I will need, and possible motor) and the fact that I have a car that will sell for more 5 years down the road, and insurance would pay for more if it got totaled kinda makes me think that the costs are pretty much a wash.

What are your thoughts?

-I have been on the GTR boards doing a fair bit of research, I think my cost analysis are right

-will it be a pain as a DD?

thanks for your thoughts.

I have also though about a 911 turbo, as that would actually almost fit the bill better. I think it is a better car, possibly more reliable, better riding in stock form, but the dollars are too much:

I think the GTR is superior compared to the 996, so it would need to be a 997, but even a 2007 911 Turbo is gonna be $100,000 +, likely more by the time you pay taxes.

I don't have that kinda of money (or refuse to alot that much money to my next car)

Ive got a business where I can promise you a 360% return on your initial investment. Please post your banking info here so I can copy. On another note you only live once, as long as you're wife approves and you can both afford the car, go for it. I'm not hundred percent sure but I'd expect the GTR to have a great resale value also.

BMW 335xi. Can meet your power goals. Better interior than the STI and IMHO more DD friendly than the GTR.

My fee for advice is $500. Have a nice day.

Thought long and hard about it, it does not. It is real easy to mod to about 400 hp, after that you need race gas or other non DD friendly stuff. There is just no real fuel mods/ turbo mods you can do for the car.

I thought I explained the $ part.:confused:

A 5 year old 2012 STI will likely sell for about $20,000, $26,000 if I can get the right buyer who wants the mods, or else I will be parting out.

A 7 year old GTR (remember, the car will be 2 years old at purchase) would likely sell for $30,000 or so.

I do honestly believe that a GTR will be very close (possibly cheaper) then a modded STI (modded the way I want).

how about a audi s4. cant the s-charger in the new one respond to mods well?

A buddy of mine is very seriously considering an S4, very very nice car, but you can't get much more then 400 chp out of the thing. Not a ton of torque either, especially when modded, wtq stays about the same, but whp goes up a bit beyond 5500 rpm.

No S4 for me.

The 2900 Audi quatro concept with a 408 in-line 5 is right up my alley, would be very easy to get 500 hp out of it, and it is very light weight, but it doesn't exist yet.

I would definitely look into the BMW 335d. The car puts out 265 horsepower, 425 foot-pounds of torque$40,435 is its base cost which leaves another 10Large to spend on wheels/rubbers and maybe even upgrading the two turbos!

Not trying to derail your thread here but where does a new sti go for $48k? Maybe your numbers are off? $38k seems closer to the cost from what I have seen.

That would bring the sti total closer to $58k. About $20k cheaper than the gtr. Just my thoughts.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

I would definitely look into the BMW 335d. The car puts out 265 horsepower, 425 foot-pounds of torque$40,435 is its base cost which leaves another 10Large to spend on wheels/rubbers and maybe even upgrading the two turbos!

This is a useless post.

Not trying to derail your thread here but where does a new sti go for $48k? Maybe your numbers are off? $38k seems closer to the cost from what I have seen.

That would bring the sti total closer to $58k. About $20k cheaper than the gtr. Just my thoughts.

Car is $44,000, I can get a little over $2350 off the car, plus taxes comes to $48,000 or so.

If you are actually going to track the thing, go GTR. It'd be silly not to. My only hesitation, would be buying used.

Otherwise, in that price range I'd consider a new C63 AMG. Tons of fun, but no AWD and not really a car to take to the track.

Though, you did mention cars limited to 300hp and an 1800lb curb weight. Consider an Elise with a Vision Function Supercharger? There are plenty of guys making 300+whp in their cars, many of them daily driving them (even in the snow!)

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

New Audis S4 is gorgeous car, but cannot be modded to over 400 hp, it is out of the question.

This is a DD in Winnipeg, anything non AWD is out of the question.

OK guys, needs to be a low 11 sec car, and AWD. Pls don't recommend cars that do not fit the bill.

Have you looked into modding an Evo?

Thought long and hard about an EVO, but when I drive one (new, X is the only one available in Canada) I don't like the 5MT, but the twin-clutch is gonna present me with problems if go to 430 whp or so.

An EVO with Twin-clutch, plus all the above mods will cost me more then an STI, and though I likely won't blow the motor, I will likely be putting big money into the tranny.

So I am in the same boat as the STI.

Archived