LegacyGT.com

Thinking of a GTR

LittleBlueGT

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thought long and hard about an EVO, but when I drive one (new, X is the only one available in Canada) I don't like the 5MT, but the twin-clutch is gonna present me with problems if go to 430 whp or so.

An EVO with Twin-clutch, plus all the above mods will cost me more then an STI, and though I likely won't blow the motor, I will likely be putting big money into the tranny.

So I am in the same boat as the STI.

Very true, and when talking about the STI and Evo both will require a turbo upgrade to make 500+hp, hello turbo lag. Not fun for a DD.

Personally I have always been a fan of owning a DD and a fun car. When I got the subaru is the first time i tried to combine the two.

S4s still scare me, a friend has v8 s4 and he thought it would have minimal problems last night i heard form another friend his timing chain guides need to be replaced at 60ishk miles.... which are at the back of the engine.... which requires the engine to be pulled. A 5k job from a shop. Looks like i might get to work on a Audi v8. Its not a huge issue but it is an annoying one. I personally love the RS4 but its an expensive car and the 4.2 liter making 440hp is pretty stretched for power. I doubt bolt ons and tuning would get you 60 more hp and anything more than that like a s/c or turbo will cost you alot of money.

I like the 911 turbo alot more than the GTR but yes it is more money and out of your price range. Does the car need to be new? Cause you can get 997 turbos for well under 100k used.

If you are looking for a new car that is AWD with 500hp a back seat that you can drive everywhere and costs no more than 80k I think a GTR is your best bet. But personally i would get a DD and a seperate fun car. Good luck

Sounds like your options are:

911 Turbo

GTR

V8 R8

I don't know if the R8 will do low 11's though...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

New S4 is faster then old RS4, and old RS4 cannot really be modded to much more then 440 hp or so, too heavy as well, and the weight is too far forward.

I am not talking a new GTR, that is too much for me, I am talking a 2010 to be purchased May of next year. Should be low 60s USD, which translates to high 60s for me said and done, plus taxes, so about $75,000 CAD said and done.

07 911 turbo is still a good $35,000 more then the GTR, and still too much.

R8 is only a two seater IIRC.

So the GTR is still my only option apparently.

Not really relevant to your discussion, but I'm curious to see what your insurance rates would do going from a LGT to a GTR, RS4 or 911 Turbo:lol:

Mine dropped by 30% going from an is300 to the LGT; I can only imagine what it would do going to a GTR:lol:

I doubt the new s4 is faster than a 2008 rs4. 333hp vs 420hp and roughly the same weight.

Just be careful if you blow something in your GTR on a track and try to use a warranty to have it fixed, the car knows when its on a track and so will the dealer.

Not really relevant to your discussion, but I'm curious to see what your insurance rates would do going from a LGT to a GTR, RS4 or 911 Turbo:lol:

Mine dropped by 30% going from an is300 to the LGT; I can only imagine what it would do going to a GTR:lol:

5M lia; $200 det; new car protection on the STI, not on the GTR (as it is not new)

My 2005 LGT was $1685.

A 2011 STI is $1764.

From post 1:

-insurance is $1764 for the year

A 2010 GTR is $1764

From post 2:

Insurance is identical to the dollar as the STI.

:rolleyes:

So the GTR is still my only option apparently.

Then get one!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I doubt the new s4 is faster than a 2008 rs4. 333hp vs 420hp and roughly the same weight.

Just be careful if you blow something in your GTR on a track and try to use a warranty to have it fixed, the car knows when its on a track and so will the dealer.

Well it is, take a look at the forums. Take a RS4, drop a few hundred lbs, put in a 333 hp motor that actually makes 360 or so (under-rated, common knowledge) and a motor that has more area under the curve and better weight distribution, and you end up with:

RS4 is like 13 flat @ 106

S4 is like 12.6 @ 107-108

Both stock, and the S4 responds slightly better to mods (but nothing easily above 400 chp)

Well it is, take a look at the forums. Take a RS4, drop a few hundred lbs, put in a 333 hp motor that actually makes 360 or so (under-rated, common knowledge) and a motor that has more area under the curve and better weight distribution, and you end up with:

RS4 is like 13 flat @ 106

S4 is like 12.6 @ 107-108

Both stock, and the S4 responds slightly better to mods (but nothing easily above 400 chp)

The 2008 Rs4 Has done mid to high 12s aswell trapping 107-109mph aswell. A FI car will always respond better to bolt ons because you can always up the boost. What is the weight of the new S4? Only info i found said 3924, about 40lbs lighter than the 08 RS4

It does seat "4" -- I've been in the back of a TT coupe that had 4 people in it (I'm 6'1), the guy driving in front of me is about 5'6, so he had the seat way up. It's not pleasant, but I don't know how severe of a "need to seat 4" requirement he has.

As far as how it handles mods, 360hp/343ftlb in stock form on the 2.5T 5cyl, it'd definitely be a bit in the "pioneering" area as to pushing it further, but given what the early adopters of the LGT here did, certainly not a crazy thought.

A few more to think about, but a few of them may be outside the price range:

That is funny.

AWD, has to something that sells for 60ish US or is is out of my budget.

The 2008 Rs4 Has done mid to high 12s aswell trapping 107-109mph aswell. A FI car will always respond better to bolt ons because you can always up the boost. What is the weight of the new S4? Only info i found said 3924, about 40lbs lighter than the 08 RS4

You are correct. Trust me, I know this car well. I Suby budy of mine is upgrading his modded WRX for a new S4.

There are probably more stock 2010 S4s that have done low 12 1/4s @ 110 mph then there are RS4s that have done mid 12s at 108.

The new S4 is faster, period.:)

FWIW there are a few sites that say the S4 is 3900 lbs, but those are mis-info (trust me, a big item on my buddy and mine talk list). It is actually 3800 ish, but some sites said 3700 or so.:confused:

According to Audi Canada it is 3847 lbs.

How about a GTR?

It does seat "4" -- I've been in the back of a TT coupe that had 4 people in it (I'm 6'1), the guy driving in front of me is about 5'6, so he had the seat way up. It's not pleasant, but I don't know how severe of a "need to seat 4" requirement he has.

As far as how it handles mods, 360hp/343ftlb in stock form on the 2.5T 5cyl, it'd definitely be a bit in the "pioneering" area as to pushing it further, but given what the early adopters of the LGT here did, certainly not a crazy thought.

You actually bring up some interesting points, but I think you will see from my response that I have thought it out quite well.

First off, the new Audi in-line 5 is a very nice motor, but is only going to be in the 400 chp area once modded, crazy wtq though. The trouble is it is DI, and there are no real turbo or fuel mods for the car, so you are stuck with the "stage2" type stuff.

I am happy with "stage2" stuff on a car, tends to be reasonably reliable, and not too hard to accomplish. (so long as I reach my 500 chp goal)

So far the only Audi that fits the bill is the 2013 A3 concept. (obviously this would be in RS3 trim) It is a gorgeous sedan (much nicer then current RS3 hatch) and will have the rumored 408 chp 2.5 in-line 5 cylinder.

If this car was $60,000 CAD that would put it at $70,000 with winter tires and taxes.

Then I would need basic stage2 stuff which would be about $3000, along with coil-overs (no current or past RS model has been aggressive enough in the suspension area) and some misc stuff, add another $7000, so I would be at $80,000 CAD total said and done.

I don't know if this car will exist for sure, or if it will be more then the above price CAD. I am also a bit leery of modding a first model year before the tuners have had a chance to see what works and what doesn't.

But 408 chp plus some exhaust and ECU tweaks should land very close to 480 or so chp.

I hope you also have the cashflow to maintain said GTR.

I was able to maintain my LGT, to the tune of $110,000 including all mods, purchase price, maintenance etc.....

I have been looking at all the costs of the GTR, obviously tires are more, a lot more! Oil changes are the same, tranny fluid changes cost a lot, all said and done the maintenance on it should be about $3500 per year; $1400 on tires, $1000 on fluid changes (oil, diff, tranny, brake) and $1100 on brake pads/rotors & misc. According to the boards that $3000/yr is a little on the high side.

For my LGT maintenance was as follows; $1000 on tires, $500 on fluids, and $800 on pads/rotors & misc, so about $2300 per year.

I don't intend on blowing up my motor or tranny while I own the car, and this seems to be consistent with the vast majority of other owners out there. Yes there was the couple of highly publicized tranny failures due to launch control, but even some well established mags (like Car & Driver) dispelled that myth by launching their long-term car hundres of times w/ no issues. I will not be launching the car, or modding it (..............much).

So $3500 / year over 5 years = $17,500

Suby $2300 / year over 5 years = $11,500

On the suby I would expect to drop $8000 on a built motor (labour, misc all in price) and another $2000 for a clutch job. So that bumps the 5 year cost of maintenance of the suby up to $21,500

So the GTR may come out ahead. I really though do expect some minor things (like breaking front lip spoiler) to set me back more on the GTR (but it ain't a Ferrari!) so maybe it will be a wash, maybe not, but certainly not drastically different.

You should go to a GTR/Porsche/Aston/etc forum and ask these questions there. Here everyone will have an opinion, but only a handful will have it backed by experience of owning a high-priced/high HP car.

And most of them will probably only have experience with one car and most of there opinions will be biased. The porsche guys will say get the 911, the GTR boys will say get the GTR and aston guys will take Tea time and then answer your questions with get an Aston.

No ones mentioned a vw R32 w/ a big turbo kit. You can see vids of them on youtube w/ 500+ hp do launches of 0-60 in the low 2 second range. Not nearly a nice as a grt but half the cost. If you can afford the gtr go that way

Archived