LegacyGT.com

Thinking of a GTR

LittleBlueGT

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know anything about the tuneability (I was about to say "overclock", heh) of these cars, but I didn't see one being mentioned.

A new Dodge Charger is expected to offer AWD, not sure if it'll be available in its SRT-8 trim though. That would be a 4 door AWD car with 440 HP stock.

Also, what about a 2010 Ford Taurus SHO? 4 doors, AWD, and 350 HP stock (turbo'd). Not sure how easily it gets to 500, but from the few things I've heard 400 is extremely easy.

Seems that you may end up tuning the GTR anyway, somehow I don't think you'd be too content with stock for long :)

First off a Charger is horribly slow, my LGT had no problem walking away from a SRT8, and the thing does not even remotely handle.

SHO weighs what, 4500 lbs? Nice motor though, that is about it.

I will not be chasing whp with the car. I want to spend more time in the summer at events, so I may get R-comps, but I will not be modding the thing like crazy.

I know, famous last words, but I am fairly certain about this.

Not true. :) Do you know of anyone with a brand new, fully loaded, Obsidian Black Pearl, Stage2+ Sti Limited that even remotely has bitterness in their day??? :lol:

I've only seen one GTR, and I looked as long as it let me. :) But it's probably my frame of reference... I "know" its Godzilla because I've read about them and seen them in videos. Kinda like the one real Supra I know that lives in a garage.

I already know you live in a vastly different world than I do, and I suspect most of your audience here as well. When my LGT was all finished I had more horsepower and potential than I could EVER use here. My STi is at its stock fuel limits now and whatever that translates to in whp is satisfying to me. It is also much more than enough to get me jailed or killed. There are no "high speed runs on a private track" possible here. If I could install the parts for free tomorrow, I wouldn't have a 500whp car. I don't even want a 400whp car. Many years ago after getting rid of a 500whp car I found only motorcycles could sustain my adrenaline. I'm over that, too. You'll probably call it "getting old" again. I call it growing up.

The STi, to me, is a driver's car, fundamentally. In that I feel I can drive it however I care without fear of it breaking. Your kind of DD must include a lot of personal risk and peer pressure. I eschew both.

I actually found this thread through a search for your most recent post, as my casual daily look at the forums hadn't shown you to be active lately.

Good luck with your GTR. I hope you share your experiences with it here... but don't kid yourself about the "friend" thing.

I respect your comments, but I do drive in a different environment then you.

I have tuned quite a number of Suby's lately, and it is pretty hard to reach my goals with one, which is why it would be a TS EFR turbo (if they ever get those turbos out on market).

I have done many things to my LGT that made it too hard-core, then I backed it off again to make it a good DD. (camber plates are an example)

In the end, I think the GTR might fit the bill nicely, but I really don't know for sure.

1) Is the front spoiler too low for DD?

2) Is the suspension too rough for our roads (LGT w/ camber plates was, w/o was very good compromise)?

I just got a phone # for a local that will DD his, so hopefully I can get some seat time and see if it works. He should be a good source of info over the winter, as I will not be getting a new car til May of 2012.

Charger can be had in AWD:

included in base price

• Includes Everything on SE, Plus:
  • 5.7L HEMI® V8 w/ 370 Horsepower,+
    Fuel Saver Technology and 25 hwy mpg+
  • Available in RWD or AWD
  • 18-Inch Polished-Aluminum Wheels
  • Performance Suspension
  • Performance Brakes

Shut up about the charger, SRT is not in AWD (TTBOMK) and the car sucks, I refuse to get a car that is slower and handles worse then my old LGT.

How difficult would it be to soften it up a bit if the ride isn't as compliant as you want? I would expect things like ride height and stiffness to be trivial to fix once you're in to a car for $80k. GTR's are strange black magic to me, would there be some kind of technical issue tossing a couple grand at suspension bits? If not, you're already in it for $78k, why not make it an even $80k and get EXACTLY what you wanted all the way around?

Dodge Charger or Ford Mustang could be on the list too. At least you shouldn't have any problems getting parts for them.

Not AWD.

Comprehension is above many people I guess.:confused::confused:

Shut up about the charger, SRT is not in AWD (TTBOMK) and the car sucks, I refuse to get a car that is slower and handles worse then my old LGT.

Didn't say you should get one, just corrected a previous misstatement. I think the GTR makes perfect sense for a DD in Canada.

Why is the OP on here mentally masturbating and dithering on this decision? How in hell should we know how viable a GTR is as a daily driver? Do any of us drive one on a daily basis? I sure don't.

LittleBlueGT..... or perhaps LittleBlueProcastinator would be a better fit... just buy the damn GTR already. There is no need to justify it to us, we do not control your finances. So what is holding you back?

Maybe there is a spouse involved, one with a brain larger than the walnut sized organ in your own head, who is very dubious about your desire to purchase an expensive two door sports car. My guess is that you are fishing for reasons you should be allowed to buy this, or are trying to convince your wife to buy it for you since she makes all the money. Well sad to say there is no logical reason to buy a GTR or any other car capable of grossly exceeding any posted speed limit.

Actually my wife wants me to buy a car that doesn't involve me modding it for years on end.

Good news I found out:

1-We currently have no GTR approved dealer within about 1000 miles (I knew that already) but one is already in the process of becoming one.

2-I found one (and maybe two) new GTR owners in the city who plan to DD their car, so they will be a great source of info for me through the winter.

The purpose of this thread:

-To let ones here that care (I know there are a couple) that I sold my current LGT

-To fish for info that I may be missing, or haven't considered. I think I have covered all my bases, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone here knows someone who bought a 911 for a DD, but found it too hard, IDK. I find it easier to post in a forum that I already have a number who know me, vs posting in one where I am new

Why don't I get the car now?

It was my plan for the past year to get a new car next spring. I am building a house now, and am a little too busy to get new wheels. I sold the LGT, bought a CX-9 (replacement for our MPV) for my wife, and am now using the MPV as a DD, sucks, but it sure comes in handy when I am at Home Depot every second day to buy stuff. Next year when my basement and yard are done, I will sell the MPV and get my next car.

I wanted to sell the LGT next year, but I knew it would be hard to sell, so I put up a gauging interest thread locally, a few months later it sold.

Actually my wife wants me to buy a car that doesn't involve me modding it for years on end.

You're lying to yourself, and to her if you think, given your history of modding, that you will leave that GTR stock.

You're lying to yourself, and to her if you think, given your history of modding, that you will leave that GTR stock.

You would be wrong, mostly.

I have a budget, and I tend to stick to it. For the whole time I owned the LGT I had a slush fund to cover things (like when I needed a new block). Only once did I got $3000 over it.

Besides, I can mod others cars as much as I want. I have people banging down my door half the time asking for help on their cars. And they pay me too, although I refuse most as work pays me a lot money for not getting dirty.

I really do want to spend less time tuning and more time driving.

Well I for one am ready for a log on how GT-R ownership is as I hope to buy one in another 5 years.

*crosses fingers* please don't let me have a kid until I'm ready, please don't let me have a kid until I'm ready

I'm kinda interested in the new Charger, but it looks like you're right, I can't find any info on the 470 HP SRT8 Charger being AWD, only on the 370 HP V8 (non SRT8) Charger.

Mmmmm GT-R, the only real competition to the Spec. B

I think buying a GTR is the right thing to do. As long as the wife approves it, why not just get it? Every other idea is dumb, stupid, impractical, or just plain not exactly what you need. Do it. Just do it and be happy. :)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

-To fish for info that I may be missing, or haven't considered. I think I have covered all my bases, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone here knows someone who bought a 911 for a DD, but found it too hard, IDK. I find it easier to post in a forum that I already have a number who know me, vs posting in one where I am new

a previous co-worker of mine would drive his 996 carrera 4s DD and into the winters when he could (yes with winter tires), but he would switch to his audi all-road when the snow accumulation was too great for the ride height of the porsche. he said it was rock solid and he was proud to drive it in the snow and all year round, however his car was fairly stock aside from bolt-on modifications.

i can't comment on how a turbo with modifications would perform but experiences from a few other guys i know seem to say the n/a porsches are fairly reliable....but also knowing how harsh winnipeg winters are...i don't know...haha, personally i think it's pretty nuts to DD a GTR in those conditions, but i won't stop you ;)

If I recall correctly, the maintenance is hell expensive. I believe it is in the range of $6,000 per year and the tires don't last very long. I doubt it will even last 2 years. I don't think it is very practical for a DD car because GTR is clearly meant for the track or mountain roads.

You should consider the new Audi S5, not sure if they have back seats but it might fit your bill. The only other AWD car that might fit you, would be the volvo S60. Not sure if you could mod a S60. Just throwing it out there. :D

I was dreaming about a new ZR1 Corvette and then I woke up. :lol:

Personally I wouldn't trash a $90,000+ 500 hp car by using it in the winter.

Good luck and post some pics of that bad boy when you get it.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

It's kind of odd but I see more sports cars out on the snowy roads during the winter in Colorado than I do in the summer. A couple of Mitsubishi Eclipses, one seriously blue Corvette around the same time each weekday on a certain road to I-25, two or three WRX STi on the way home, and one Audi TT every Friday during the winter.

Why is the OP on here mentally masturbating and dithering on this decision? How in hell should we know how viable a GTR is as a daily driver? Do any of us drive one on a daily basis? I sure don't.

I have one as my DD, my subaru is too impracticle for daily driving.

:lol:

I totally agree with Bosco get a vette if not a ZR1 a Z06 those things look and sound sexy as hell haha. but i think the GTR is a great choice friend has one but his stupid girlfriend wont let us ride in it did a flyby once at a 170+mph crazy fast...

My sister has the new S4 with the s tronic dual clutch tranny, it's a nice car but won't get you to your performance goals.

My GF's brother used to drive is Gallardo in the winter in Toronto but when the snow got heavy he ended up taking public transit or stealing his gf's suv. The Gallardo did not have the ground clearance to deal with snow over snow over 6 cm well. I think the GTR maybe a bit better in ground clearance and Nissan does have a winter package, but I don't think you car rely on it to be a good DD in winter.

To be honest, I have been thinking of picking up a GTR but will probably end up picking a dedicated winter car. I don't think, I have the heart to drive it in the winter. I wanted to pick up a Pulsar GTi-R for a winter car but I live in Quebec now and we have been under a weird import car ban in this province. Although, I'll probably be moving back to Ontario soon.

The only other car that I think could fit the bill is the new Audi RS3 but I doubt it will make it to North America or maybe the upcoming RS6.

My sister has the new S4 with the s tronic dual clutch tranny, it's a nice car but won't get you to your performance goals.

My GF's brother used to drive is Gallardo in the winter in Toronto but when the snow got heavy he ended up taking public transit or stealing his gf's suv. The Gallardo did not have the ground clearance to deal with snow over snow over 6 cm well. I think the GTR maybe a bit better in ground clearance and Nissan does have a winter package, but I don't think you can rely on it to be a good DD in winter.

To be honest, I have been thinking of picking up a GTR but will probably end up picking a dedicated winter car. I don't think, I have the heart to drive it in the winter. I wanted to pick up a Pulsar GTi-R for a winter car but I live in Quebec now and we have been under a weird import car ban in this province. Although, I'll probably be moving back to Ontario soon.

The only other car that I think could fit the bill is the new Audi RS3 but I doubt it will make it to North America or maybe the upcoming RS6.

Archived