LegacyGT.com

Thinking of a GTR

LittleBlueGT

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GM needs to make a CTS-V AWD Wagon :lol::wub:

I agree but they dont have a AWD drivetrain that can handle the power. Those 6.2 liter supercharged engines make trq at such low rpms it tears drivetrains apart. The zr1 makes over 300ftlbs of trq at idle.

You should go to a GTR/Porsche/Aston/etc forum and ask these questions there. Here everyone will have an opinion, but only a handful will have it backed by experience of owning a high-priced/high HP car.

I am on the GTR forum, same username.

There is no use asking the porsche guys as that is not in my budget, and since when was a 2009 or 10 Aston available for $60,000 with AWD?

I think some of you guys miss the point:

AWD car w/ 500 hp as a DD in Canada.

FWIW VW never brought the R32 to Canada. I don't think the Golf-R is coming here either, so they may be hard to import.

Also, FWIW, the current RS3 is not available here, and neither is the S3 for that matter.

I think some of you guys miss the point:

AWD car w/ 500 hp as a DD in Canada.

i can see your dilemma here....other than the two choices you have listed: modded STi and the GTR....there really aren't that many available choices.

is it necessary to be your DD? you would be able to cover a broader spectrum of needs by splitting your vehicle needs between two cars.

also will you DD this throughout the winnipeg winters? ( :eek:)

If you can afford a GTR, and want a GTR then buy a GTR. There is no way to rationalize the purchase of a supercar so stop trying. If a rational decision is what you want to make then buy an Imprezza and keep it stock.

The good news is that we don't have to make rational decisions if we don't want to, so I encourage you to buy a GTR! You only live once, so you might as well enjoy yourself if you can.

On a recent Top Gear which showcased the GTR the show ended with them agreeing... boring.

Five hundred in an STi will not be boring. It will be fun, everywhere, all year long.

Whatever you're chasing you won't catch in a GTR. But you will lose friends.

i can see your dilemma here....other than the two choices you have listed: modded STi and the GTR....there really aren't that many available choices.

is it necessary to be your DD? you would be able to cover a broader spectrum of needs by splitting your vehicle needs between two cars.

also will you DD this throughout the winnipeg winters? ( :eek:)

I like driving too much to drive a POS in the winter. I also DD it, so it gets miles put on, which negates the worry of corrosion, as the car will have too many miles it well before the corrosion is a major issue.

On a recent Top Gear which showcased the GTR the show ended with them agreeing... boring.

Five hundred in an STi will not be boring. It will be fun, everywhere, all year long.

Whatever you're chasing you won't catch in a GTR. But you will lose friends.

I will not lose friends, I still have people banging my door in to tune their subies. The nice thing about the GTR is it will likely be a more reliable track car.

If anything I will gain a lot of fake friends.:lol:

I can tell you are a touch bitter.:(:(

Sounds like you should get a GTR.

A 500 WHP STi isn't really all that fun for a daily driver. ESPECIALLY in the winter. And your reluctance to buy something not AWD makes it impossible to suggest alternatives.

Lots of AWD ultra performance cars out there, but not a single one would fit your need except the GTR.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I will not lose friends, I still have people banging my door in to tune their subies. The nice thing about the GTR is it will likely be a more reliable track car.

If anything I will gain a lot of fake friends.:lol:

I can tell you are a touch bitter.:(:(

Not true. :) Do you know of anyone with a brand new, fully loaded, Obsidian Black Pearl, Stage2+ Sti Limited that even remotely has bitterness in their day??? :lol:

I've only seen one GTR, and I looked as long as it let me. :) But it's probably my frame of reference... I "know" its Godzilla because I've read about them and seen them in videos. Kinda like the one real Supra I know that lives in a garage.

I already know you live in a vastly different world than I do, and I suspect most of your audience here as well. When my LGT was all finished I had more horsepower and potential than I could EVER use here. My STi is at its stock fuel limits now and whatever that translates to in whp is satisfying to me. It is also much more than enough to get me jailed or killed. There are no "high speed runs on a private track" possible here. If I could install the parts for free tomorrow, I wouldn't have a 500whp car. I don't even want a 400whp car. Many years ago after getting rid of a 500whp car I found only motorcycles could sustain my adrenaline. I'm over that, too. You'll probably call it "getting old" again. I call it growing up.

The STi, to me, is a driver's car, fundamentally. In that I feel I can drive it however I care without fear of it breaking. Your kind of DD must include a lot of personal risk and peer pressure. I eschew both.

I actually found this thread through a search for your most recent post, as my casual daily look at the forums hadn't shown you to be active lately.

Good luck with your GTR. I hope you share your experiences with it here... but don't kid yourself about the "friend" thing.

I don't know anything about the tuneability (I was about to say "overclock", heh) of these cars, but I didn't see one being mentioned.

A new Dodge Charger is expected to offer AWD, not sure if it'll be available in its SRT-8 trim though. That would be a 4 door AWD car with 440 HP stock.

Also, what about a 2010 Ford Taurus SHO? 4 doors, AWD, and 350 HP stock (turbo'd). Not sure how easily it gets to 500, but from the few things I've heard 400 is extremely easy.

Seems that you may end up tuning the GTR anyway, somehow I don't think you'd be too content with stock for long :)

Archived