LegacyGT.com

What do you guys think of the Acura TL type S

I went to test drive one the other day, it was a TL dynamic, not a Type S, but it had the same 6 speed manual with LSD, and same Brembo brakes.

I thought it was a really nice car, the exterior is honestly one of my favourite designs in recent cars, and the interior was almost as good. Nice leather seats, very stylish but not over the top design, and nice materials throughout. Leads above anything ive seen in any subaru(no offence to anyone). Also has quite a large cabin, maybe nearly as big as a 2010 legacy.

Now for the drive, well it starts out great. The steering has feel, its nicely weighted, the brakes are strong, the clutch/shift linkage are just as good as any honda ive driven. The Engine is very strong, and im sure it can pull on a STI on the highway.

The car has alot of torque steer, not going to lie. you can feel it anytime you give the gas half throttle or more, in turns you can feel it at quarter throttle or more. Its not the end of the world, and doesn't take you off your line(much) but it is a discomforting feeling. I think you could learn to live with it.

Overall, i really liked the car. It is above average in every category i can think of, except for the power deliver. And being FWD, im sure its better suited for winter driving compared to a similar RWD(The G35 comes to mind)Oh yah, and its ELS stereo ROCKED. It was one of best stock stereos ive listened to in awhile.

So what are everyone else's opinion on this car?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering you said it's a TL with dynamic package it must be a previous body TL. Are you in Canada? Because we didn't get the dynamic package here in the states.

I've had tons of seat time in that generation of TL. My sister owned a Type-S (she didn't like it at all, but she also had a 328is sport as the car before it) as does one of my best friends. The car is "meh" overall. First of all, FWD is just awful to drive. As you said it torque steers like a mother, and that's a deal breaker right there. It wont do much better in the snow than a snow tire equipped RWD car. Throw snow tires on a FWD car and on a RWD car and compare -- they'll be pretty darn close. Modern electronics have negated much of the FWD advantage.

I've got news for you, there's no way that car is pulling on an STI. It's a fairly strong engine, yes, but it still doesn't move that heavy sedan faster than an STI moves. The TL has less power (unless it's a new SH-AWD which makes 305 hp, which it is not) and it's heavier than the STI. I checked the specs on the dynamic package and it does have the Type-S engine, so it makes 270HP, which is still 30 shy of an STI.

The 6mt gearbox is typical Honda, which means it's precise, got a great feel and is a fun gearbox to use -- I'll give the car that much. The steering is artificially heavy and uncommunicative, which makes it a pain in the butt to drive, the driver has so little feeling, and the steering wheel is unnaturally heavy. Acura should take a lesson from BMW on proper steering wheel feel (pre-active steering).

The seats in the car aren't bad, although they could use more bolstering, that's for sure (and if I feel that way about the Type-S seats, I can only imagine the base model seats). Interior packaging isn't bad either. Controls are well laid out, easy to use and understand and all work relatively well -- but hey, that's pretty much what Honda is good at. Normally I'd say they're reliable cars, but my buddy has had nothing but problems with his Acura since day one.

There are much, much better players in the entry-luxury midsize sedan category, that's for sure. For me the TL ranks near the bottom of the bunch.

May I ask what car you drive? Are you looking to buy a car? I've never driven any TL but after owning an awd car there is a 99.9% chance I'll never buy any fwd car again, unless I get out of Minnesota! Also there's too many Tl's here that it doesn't stand out from the other cars! I still get stares and people asking what car I got in 2011, even though it's all stock! Here in Minnesota once you go awd you don't go or even think about going back to fwd or 1wd in winter!

The TL has less power (unless it's a new SH-AWD which makes 305 hp, which it is not) and it's heavier than the STI.

don't they have the sh awd ? or is the sh awd avaliable with some tiny ass motor ?

don't they have the sh awd ? or is the sh awd avaliable with some tiny ass motor ?

SH-AWD is the new body style only (2009+), the one he is looking at is the pre-2009 TL. The TLs with SH-AWD actually make more HP than the FWD cars. The FWD makes 280 HP and the SH-AWD makes 305 HP. For the person who wants a BMW 3-series alternative, but still wants something somewhat sporty, the TL SH-AWD 6MT is a solid buy. It's just too soft for my tastes and I would much prefer a 3-series or G37 (hence why we have a G37 in our garage and not a TL). I criticize the car harshly because it's not my taste, but people who own them tend to love them; granted the average TL owner probably has different tastes than a 3-series or G owner.

i always liked honda .. but never owned other than there dirtbikes and atv's

and to be rude i call TL's "accords" just to piss of the owners .. because most don't realize that acura doesn't exist much outside of north america.

but that TL seams to be targeted to Cadillac type people.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I work for Acura. They are fun cars easy to fix and maintain but boring quick. The new TL SH-AWD with 6 speed is awesome. Acura SH driveline is amazing in corners twists it eats it up. I'd love to see a head to head vs. A new sti.

I cross shopped them when I was looking for a new car. Went with the LGT, didn't want to do the FWD V6 thing for a 3rd time in a row. That and it's nice to have a car with a decent aftermarket support.

Hey guys, what exactly does it mean calling me a troll? lol.

Anyways, i drive a bugeye wrx at the moment, great car, first subaru ive owned, wont be the last. But. I need somthing more along the lines of a family vehicle. Ive got kids, i love sporty cars, and cant afford to have two cars. So ive got to choose one that does it all.

I test drove a legacy gt the other day, i liked it, but it was too tight. Its interior volume was the same as my wrx wagon, it just had a bigger cargo area. Also, its undercarrage was rusted out, just like many many other legacys i looked at. The rear diff, drive shafts, sway bar, exhaust system, most of the bolts under the hood, were all rusty. Is that like a subaru trademark or somthing?

Anyways, i guess you guys dont like the TL. Thanks for your replys.

I see a lot of the TL's around CT. So they must be a good family car. Really it depends on your needs. Any car that is big enough will do. It's just about what your welling to put up with. Not any car can be all things.

They all have there little problems. I think the TL would be a good choice based on the fact that it's a Honda product.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Besides the rust is only on the bolts. I have spent a lot of time, (to much in fact) under my 05 the past 3 months. There is very little rust on the body, just the bolts.

Any repair shop that will do the work will know how to handle a rusty bolt. Don't worry about it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Solution for any bolt issues:

http://torchlighterss.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mapp-Gas-Torch.jpg

My parents have an MDX and for some reason when they take it in for service, they get a TL with the SH AWD. It's a good engine and AWD system, but it's not in the same league as the STI. As was mentioned before, the steering is a bit numb and it still feels way too heavy in turns. And that's after getting used to my parents MDX.

Why there's plenty of aftermarket support. Any repair shop will fix them. You just pay the man. Hey it's a family car, not some turbo charged want to be High Performance car Subaru, that just happens to be a good family car.

To bad the new TL's are as ugly as the Legacy's.

I think you're mixing up aftermarket support with repair support. Yes any shop will fix the TL but I think the point is that, for example, while there are 30 companies making exhaust components for the EJ25x, there are probably like 3 making them for the V6 in the TL. Since most people here like to mod, that is a pretty easy deal breaker. OP mentioned the TL as an STi-beater so there is at least a suggestion that he's looking at the car for performance, and I think some folks are just responding that, look, this isn't the platform to start with if that's what you want your car to be.

IMO, the TL is a fine option if you are looking for a reliable, FWD touring car. You are not going to out-handle or out-accelerate an STi, so you should abandon those thoughts. I think the TL feels numb as a driver's car but that's kind of the point. It is positioned as a sport-tourer from a luxury brand, and I think that's exactly what you get (emphasis on the tourer).

05-08 Acura RL or 07+Infiniti g37x. Those are 2 good family sedans with some performance with "awd" sometimes. Also my undercarriage has only a little bit of rust. My undercarriage doesn't look bad at all for it's age compared to way newer cars with much more rust. My car is driven almost everyday in the state of Minnesota.

Hey guys, what exactly does it mean calling me a troll? lol.

Anyways, i drive a bugeye wrx at the moment, great car, first subaru ive owned, wont be the last. But. I need somthing more along the lines of a family vehicle. Ive got kids, i love sporty cars, and cant afford to have two cars. So ive got to choose one that does it all.

I test drove a legacy gt the other day, i liked it, but it was too tight. Its interior volume was the same as my wrx wagon, it just had a bigger cargo area. Also, its undercarrage was rusted out, just like many many other legacys i looked at. The rear diff, drive shafts, sway bar, exhaust system, most of the bolts under the hood, were all rusty. Is that like a subaru trademark or somthing?

Anyways, i guess you guys dont like the TL. Thanks for your replys.

Ha ha, sorry that was me suggesting the troll-ness.... I just figured with your comment about the TL pulling on an STI on the highway (NEVER going to happen), that you were probably an Acura person coming on the forum to stir up some trouble with no real interest in Subarus...

05-08 Acura RL or 07+Infiniti g37x. Those are 2 good family sedans with some performance with "awd" sometimes. Also my undercarriage has only a little bit of rust. My undercarriage doesn't look bad at all for it's age compared to way newer cars with much more rust. My car is driven almost everyday in the state of Minnesota.

The RL is more of an AARP person's sedan, and it's certainly not the same type of vehicle as a G37. The RL is similar to a Lexus GS in terms of driving dynamics. The G37 is more on par with a 3-series. The TL finds a balance somewhere between 3-series and Lexus IS (it's a good blend of sport with comfort, while the BMW is the true sport sedan benchmark and the Lexus is the soft, comfy cruiser). The RL is certainly less sporty than the TL is (although the SH-AWD is one perk of the RL.) SH-AWD is available on the current body TL as well, though.

OP: check out a G37X (if you want AWD but don't mind an auto). We went from a BMW 5-series to the G37 and we love it. It's a bit rougher around the edges than a BMW, but the price is unbeatable for what you get. We're really happy with ours; it's quick, comfortable, handles well and is loaded with features (we have the premium and navigation packages).

If you want a RWD G37, go for the 6MT, which come standard the rear LSD, sport suspension, upgraded brakes and the premium and navigation package are standard equipment on the G37 MT.

OP: check out a G37X (if you want AWD but don't mind an auto). We went from a BMW 5-series to the G37 and we love it. It's a bit rougher around the edges than a BMW, but the price is unbeatable for what you get. We're really happy with ours, it's quick, comfortable, handles well and is loaded with features (we have the premium and navigation packages). If you want a RWD version go for the 6MT, which come standard the rear LSD, sport suspension, upgraded brakes and many of the option packages from the lesser models are standard on the 6MT as well.

Don't forget one of the best NA V6's in North America in the last 10 years :)

Archived