LegacyGT.com

What do you guys think of the Acura TL type S

I recently purchased an 07 TL-S, after my 07 LGT was totaled back in may. They are completely different cars. If you want the ability to make a lot of power and mod your car heavily the Subaru is the way to go. If you want a more refined car, with a bit of sportiness, the Acura is a great choice.

I will tell you the TL won't smoke an STi, my LGT was running an infamous stage 2 tune and I miss that low end power, but the the TL is quick. It just doesn't throw you in your seat so it feels slower than it really is, it does shine on the highway though.

I thoroughly enjoyed my LGT, but after it was totaled I really didn't feel like doing the whole "modding" thing again, with one kid and another on the way I just didn't have the time and/or motivation. The TL-S was the perfect fit for me in that it already has that slightly modded look, with the gunmetal wheels, quad exhaust tips, and aggressive body styling.

Either one(AC or suby) will be a great car, just need to decide what type of car you are looking for. The one thing I have to give to the Acura over the Suby is that I am more comfortable buying the Acura preowned as opposed to the Subaru. This was the first time I bought a preowned as opposed to new. There is more modding potential on the subaru and I can't help but wonder what the previous owner did to the car. Of course that can be true of any car, but there is a high potential for bad things to happen if the car was not properly modded and maintained.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem I've always had with Honda/Acura (and this is coming from having an Accord V6 so forgive me if it's not completely accurate for the Acura) is that power comes WAY late in the powerband with the whole VTEC thing and it's a complete dog down low and on immediate throttle response. Driving up to the mountains I'd have to rape the car to keep it in the VTEC range. Half the time the transmission would not let me shift to keep it there as I was within the parameters of where the ECU/TCU felt it unsafe to downshift or allow me to downshift.... man I hated that...

The problem I've always had with Honda/Acura (and this is coming from having an Accord V6 so forgive me if it's not completely accurate for the Acura) is that power comes WAY late in the powerband with the whole VTEC thing and it's a complete dog down low and on immediate throttle response. Driving up to the mountains I'd have to rape the car to keep it in the VTEC range. Half the time the transmission would not let me shift to keep it there as I was within the parameters of where the ECU/TCU felt it unsafe to downshift or allow me to downshift.... man I hated that...

The type s' aren't that bad with that, but they will not compare to the low end grunt of the subaru. I had an 01 CL-S and that wasn't too bad as far as low end power, that had a 3.2(260hp), the TL-S has a 3.5(286hp) and actually has some good snap off the line. Did your Accord have the 3.0? But yes, the Acuras are definitely high revving engines.

Don't forget one of the best NA V6's in North America in the last 10 years :)

It is a phenomenal engine. It can be a bit rough sounding at very high RPMs, but it's a sweet engine to work hard. The 3.7 has nice grunt down low and pulls the whole way up the rev range.

not saying the sti would lose, but i bet good driver to good driver the two cars would have a good battle through the turns.

:lol: Are you saying a FWD family sedan would be a challenge for an AWD compact sedan (with three helical differentials, mind you). Have you ever pushed a V6 FWD car hard? They plow pretty hard in corners, and forget about powering out early -- you'll just slide off the road and hit a tree.

It is a phenomenal engine. It can be a bit rough sounding at very high RPMs, but it's a sweet engine to work hard. The 3.7 has nice grunt down low and pulls the whole way up the rev range.

Acura was notorious for overrating cars, hence why the HP numbers of all their cars dropped when the HP measuring standards changed. The 3.5 actually puts out 270, not Acura's claimed 286.

From my understanding....the 270hp for the base model TL's(04-06) was revised to 258. The 07+ numbers were done using the new standard, so the 286 is the right number, it would have been around 300 using the old standard.

From my understanding....the 270hp for the base model TL's(04-06) was revised to 258. The 07+ numbers were done using the new standard, so the 286 is the right number, it would have been around 300 using the old standard.

You beat me to my edit, damn you;). I realized that right after I posted, and I changed it -- you're quick, my friend and correct.

You beat me to my edit, damn you;). I realized that right after I posted, and I changed it -- you're quick, my friend and correct.

Ha, its all good. I am enjoying this thread, as it is one I can actually provide some well rounded input having owned both the LGT and TL.

not saying the sti would lose, but i bet good driver to good driver the two cars would have a good battle through the turns.

The TL actually makes pretty wide turns, its strong suit is definitely on the highway. I do like the heavier feel of the steering in the TL as opposed to the LGT, and the brembos stop very quickly, very dusty though.

Well, to everyone on here, thanks for the honest input. I hate FWD cars too,but the fact is that they are good for DD cars. Ive also grown up with hondas in the past, so i am comfortable with them. I ve owned a b16a powered CRX(160HP, 2200LBS) a 2007 civic SI, and a few other beater hondas. The TL-Sis like the king of FWD cars in my view.

As for pushing my car, yeah i push it, but not 10/10s, im not a idiot. Plus i never plan to track my car. So I think that the extra room/comfort of the TL is a good trade off for a similer subaru product.

I actually really really want a Legacy GT wagon, but here in canada, they are extremely rare to find with a stick. I think hardly any of these cars were sold in canada. So that is also a factor, i dont want to buy the first thing i see, with TL's, there are quite a few at any given time.

Also, about the comment about the TL pulling on a STI, ok maybe that was a bit optimistic, but my point is, the 3.5L(280HP) really pulls on the highway, and with no turbo spooling the V6 power comes on fast and doesnt stop. It will def pull on a wrx or legacy Gt at cruising speed.

Dont forget that the TL-S comes with 4 pot Brembos, 17x8 enkei wheels, a intense ELS stereo(on par with H/K in the subaru), and a 6 speed manual with LSD.

Did you ever drive a lgt? It will pull on me if I'm in 5th gear going 30mph. So you're going to get a tl. If you wanted a wagon, just get the new tsx wagon. That too is a good DD with fwd also from Honda!

Did you ever drive a lgt? It will pull on me if I'm in 5th gear going 30mph. So you're going to get a tl. If you wanted a wagon, just get the new tsx wagon. That too is a good DD with fwd also from Honda!

I love that TSX commercial where you see blatant front wheel slip and push as it goes around the turn. :lol: its almost like they made it obvious that it will get zero traction in tight turns on throttle.

Well, to everyone on here, thanks for the honest input. I hate FWD cars too,but the fact is that they are good for DD cars. Ive also grown up with hondas in the past, so i am comfortable with them. I ve owned a b16a powered CRX(160HP, 2200LBS) a 2007 civic SI, and a few other beater hondas. The TL-Sis like the king of FWD cars in my view.

As for pushing my car, yeah i push it, but not 10/10s, im not a idiot. Plus i never plan to track my car. So I think that the extra room/comfort of the TL is a good trade off for a similer subaru product.

I actually really really want a Legacy GT wagon, but here in canada, they are extremely rare to find with a stick. I think hardly any of these cars were sold in canada. So that is also a factor, i dont want to buy the first thing i see, with TL's, there are quite a few at any given time.

Also, about the comment about the TL pulling on a STI, ok maybe that was a bit optimistic, but my point is, the 3.5L(280HP) really pulls on the highway, and with no turbo spooling the V6 power comes on fast and doesnt stop. It will def pull on a wrx or legacy Gt at cruising speed.

Dont forget that the TL-S comes with 4 pot Brembos, 17x8 enkei wheels, a intense ELS stereo(on par with H/K in the subaru), and a 6 speed manual with LSD.

No it wont. I'll even line up to you and race (on a track, of course) if you want. I've had plenty of seat time in the Type-S, so I know it's not slouch, but it's by no means a "fast" sport sedan. It'll still get walked on by the LGT, WRX, G37 and BMW 3-series. "At cruising speed" means the LGT/WRX are probably in the car's powerband, which means no lag waiting for the turbo. It's also incredibly easy to mod more power, more torque and a better torque curve out of a turbocharged car.

The ELS system is so-so. You think it's as good as the HK system in the Legacy, well I've got news for you; the HK system in the Legacy sounds terrible. There really aren't any manufactures that deliver a truly awesome sound system from the factory. Perhaps I'm too much of an audiophile, but every OEM system I've heard is sub-par.

The Acura is a great car, they usually have typical Honda reliability and they deliver a nice blend of sport and comfort. I think most of us here just have an issue with the FWD element to the car.

Have you considered an Infiniti G37X or G37S 6MT?

I still think the Tl will pull on a wrx or legy gt on the highway. The car has 280HP, has less drivetrain loss, and has no traction problems at this speed. It will just pull hard(like any good V6) and the turbo flat4 will be playing catchup the whole time. Its just physics.

I own a stage2 wrx, 220HP at the wheels, so im guessing about 250-265 at the engine. Ive been walked on by Bone stock 3.5L powered camrys for Pete's sake. Its not even a joke.

I still think the Tl will pull on a wrx or legy gt on the highway. The car has 280HP, has less drivetrain loss, and has no traction problems at this speed. It will just pull hard(like any good V6) and the turbo flat4 will be playing catchup the whole time. Its just physics.

I own a stage2 wrx, 220HP at the wheels, so im guessing about 250-265 at the engine. Ive been walked on by Bone stock 3.5L powered camrys for Pete's sake. Its not even a joke.

Well we can both have our respective opinions, that's for sure. I was never blown away by the TL's acceleration, ever, nor has it ever thrown me into the seat.

A WRX makes 265HP and weighs about 3200 lbs. The TL makes almost 280 and weighs almost 3600 lbs. That Acura has to move 400 more pounds with only about 15 more HP.

Just to add to the bench racing... :)

car and driver oct 2004

'05 LGT

0-60 5.7sec

1/4 14.2@96

Road and Track 2010

Powertrain-wise, the TL SH-AWD comes just one way, with a 305-bhp VTEC-augmented 3.7-liter V-6 coupled to a 5-speed automatic transmission with sequential-shift capability via steering-wheel paddles. The most powerful Acura engine ever, the 3.7 pulls hard and evenly, lower-pitched off idle and swelling to a cleaner, more urgent sound near the 6700-rpm redline. It accelerates the TL to reasonably quick times, but at 6.3 seconds to 60 and 14.8 sec. at 96.7 mph through the quarter mile, it's considerably off the pace of a key competitor, the BMW 335i, which generates corresponding numbers of 5.0 and 13.5 at 104.5. Even the front-drive version of the new TL pips the SH-AWD flagship in acceleration by a tenth in each contest, despite a slightly taller final-drive ratio and 25 less bhp from a smaller 3.5-liter V-6. The front-drive TL's 263-lb.-lighter curb weight evens the score with Father Physics.

Car and Driver 2008

This WRX is capable of 0-60 mph in 4.7 seconds and a standing 1/4 mile in 13.5 seconds at 102 mph (164 km/h)

Archived