LegacyGT.com

What is your contingency car?

If yours gets totaled today (knock on wood), what is your contingency plan?

What do you get? What do you do?

I think it's important to keep this in mind. Having a "Surprise! You need a car!" is a major inconvenience these days. It happened to my wife and I a few years ago, and it was a major pain.

For me?

I have no idea. I want a truck, but the truck I want is not a feasible option at the moment, and I don't want to lay out the 30k difference from our savings. Plus, we might be moving out of the country for up to two years, and I don't want to spend 50k on a truck to have it sit for two years not being driven.

I'd probably pick up a BMW E39 5-series station wagon. Something that's still nice, but not blastedly expensive. That would probably hold me over OK until I found something I really wanted. Plus, I wouldn't feel bad leaving it to sit for 2 years.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

got a couple I'm looking at.

VW TDI sport wagon

VW TDI Golf

Subaru outback 3.0R

I really like the new golf's, I'm just not sure it's got enough room for me.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

is getting a newer LGT and swapping any salvageable parts onto it a choice?

if not i've been itching for an E60 M5 for awhile now.

Sure, that's a choice.

The question is the car you would ACTUALLY get if yours was totaled today. If you have the green for an E60 M5, and that's the car you'd replace your LGT with if someone ran a red light into it, then that's pretty awesome.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

WRX Limited or New LGT, non turbo choices OBXT or 3.6r. No other car but Subaru :) Some 4 yrs later, I still love my car everytime I get in it.

An OBXT is turbo... Hence the XT.

I think about this a a lot and spend too much time comparing vehicles... after all this and I'm left thinking new WRX, VW TDI sport wagon or Kia Optima.

Wouldn't pull the trigger unless something happened to the LGT. Still love it more than anything available new (in the price range I'm willing to spend) and the used car market is just too costly right now.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

I'd go and find the best used Infiniti M35x or M45 that I can afford. Anything from 2002 (older VIP body style) up to 2009.

I don't need a truck / SUV / minivan... that's what the wife drives.

The Infiniti, or honestly another 2005 - 2007 LGT wagon or OBXT.

If I could swing it, an A6 Avant.

If something were to happen to my LGT wagon 5MT, I'd probably replace it with either a new WRX 5-door or VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT. Not many choices out there for manual transmission wagon/hatch fans.

Why would you choose the TDI over the GTI?

Why would you choose the TDI over the GTI?

10+ mpg. A buddy of mine just turned an 820 mile tank.

When you drive 25k a year, it adds up.

Archived