LegacyGT.com

Tirerack KYB shocks/struts?

c-lo

Ya think? 174K? :eek:

If you press down on any fender do you hear a loud squishy sound coming from your suspension?:lol:

J/K with ya ;)

actually no! only occassionally do I get squishy over speed bumps. but pushing down I get nothing. I feel it more so over bumpy roads.

Agreed. The main difference will be price point. If you are into spending the $ for the Konis then they are by far the best choice. If it's a DD and just looking to get new struts, the KYBs will work fine as well.

-mike

thanks Mike....it is obviously a DD @ 174k. I am not willing to shell out that much for Konis. My subie mechanic highly recommended the Bilstein HD's over the KYB's. what are your thoughts on the two? and if I did purchase the KYB GR2's what springs would you recommend?

Yeah if you have a specific budget and don't wanna shell out a lot of cha ching, then definitely go with the KYB's. Also, I would not get them from Teh TireRack because you get hit with massive shipping charges especially like in my case where one shock was going to be shipped from one warehouse and the other from another warehouse. I got mine from Amazon for 60 a piece + free shipping. I replaced both front struts and couldn't be happier.

thanks for the tip. I'll check that out before I purchase from them. I have run into that problem when purchasing tires from them.

There is a Tirerack warehouse in Del..quite close to where the OP lives.;)

True!

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks Mike....it is obviously a DD @ 174k. I am not willing to shell out that much for Konis. My subie mechanic highly recommended the Bilstein HD's over the KYB's. what are your thoughts on the two? and if I did purchase the KYB GR2's what springs would you recommend?

The Bilstein HDs are just about the same price range as Konis, but I believe with the Bilsteins, you need to purchase new top hats, spring seats, etc. which you're probably looking at ~$1k according to FredBeansParts.com.

With the KYB's, if you're wanting to go easy on your wallet, you can still utilize your stock springs as the only weak component are the stock shocks/struts. If you want to go aftermarket, m sprank may still have a set of Eibach Pro Kit left in his inventory but if not, the Epics are exactly the same but with a different branding. Although, in my experience, I have the infamous creaking with these springs on Konis. Although I love the ride, I'm seriously considering swapping to Rallitek springs, they're so annoying...

Just my $0.02

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

The Bilstein HDs are just about the same price range as Konis, but I believe with the Bilsteins, you need to purchase new top hats, spring seats, etc. which you're probably looking at ~$1k according to FredBeansParts.com.

With the KYB's, if you're wanting to go easy on your wallet, you can still utilize your stock springs as the only weak component are the stock shocks/struts. If you want to go aftermarket, m sprank may still have a set of Eibach Pro Kit left in his inventory but if not, the Epics are exactly the same but with a different branding. Although, in my experience, I have the infamous creaking with these springs on Konis. Although I love the ride, I'm seriously considering swapping to Rallitek springs, they're so annoying...

Just my $0.02

good to know. forgot about the top hats. looking more like I'll be putting the KYB's on. maybe if the car has less mileage on her I'd spend more $$...although I'm kind of a cheap bastard :lol:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I've had my KYB's for a few months now wavering over whether to attempt the install myself or hire a trusted local shop to put them on my OBXT. I have an appointment for the latter on Tuesday. I opted for the 2004 rear shocks + Rallitek Overload springs and stock springs with the 2005 struts on the front. I shopped around and found the best deal for me was the KYB Outlet online. Check retailmenot.com for possible coupons. As I recall it took a few weeks for the whole order to arrive in 2 separate shipments and I read similar feedback at subaruoutback.org so if you are in a hurry one of the other places might be faster and for not much more money. I'll try to remember to let you know how I like the results later in the week.

Understandable. I waited about a year until the Konis were on sale over at shox.com before I jumped on them. How much longer do you intend on keeping the leggy?

The way I'd look at it is, if you're going to keep it until it runs into the ground, why not prolong its life by putting a little bit of $$ into it? It's a good investment in the long run, in my humble opinion, and it may just rekindle that flame from when you first got it :)

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

The way I'd look at it is, if you're going to keep it until it runs into the ground, why not prolong its life by putting a little bit of $$ into it? It's a good investment in the long run, in my humble opinion, and it may just rekindle that flame from when you first got it :)

Agreed,excellent logic.

This. You will love the way the car drives on the Konis. :wub:

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The KYBs should work fine with a mildly dropped spring like the Eibach Prokit. It may take 10-20% off the life of the KYBs but for the price they can't be beat. It's all a matter of how much you want to spend. The Konis do carry a lifetime guarantee on the parts so that's something to think about too.

-mike

How much are you going to spend having this suspension installed and then aligned? Look at the total bills and see how little more it is to step up to the Konis. Well worth it IMO. I would put the spring budget toward the Konis if necessary in order to get them. If you don't want to pay the extra for Konis don't spend money on budget springs or you will end up with something worse than stock for handling.

I've used both the KYB AGX (similar to the GR2 but adjustable) and currently have the Konis. At the time I liked the AGX a lot, and six years later they are still going strong (I don't own the car anymore) paired with STi springs... stiffer than stock but only slightly shorter. Very good strut for the price.

The Konis I have on my current car are just in a whole other class of comfort and sophistication.... I'm also running them with STi springs. For what I do with the car there is nothing better out there.

Oh yeah, remember what the Honda guys say 'KYB' stands for... Keep Your Bilsteins!

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Konis are awesome but like double the price, not even close. What are these "budget" springs? Raliteks, epic, swift, tein, they all run 200-300. I can't spend 600 for struts, 250 for springs, and more for an alignment at once. KYBs are more than fine for a DD.
"This is an adventure."

Understandable. I waited about a year until the Konis were on sale over at shox.com before I jumped on them. How much longer do you intend on keeping the leggy?

agreed...however with 174k on it now...lets say 3 months from now the engine blows. It's an expense thing for me too. I'm with Catalyst.....can't see spending the $$. maybe if the car had less mileage on it.

After I put on my Koni's, it made the OEM dampers feel like garbage (this is with aftermarket springs btw). If the KYB's feel like OEM, I would not suggest pairing them with aftermarket springs as they are too underdampened.

I opted for the 2004 rear shocks + Rallitek Overload springs and stock springs with the 2005 struts on the front. I'll try to remember to let you know how I like the results later in the week.

I remembered. I've only driven the few miles between the shop and home but there are some decent curves on that road. As said by others, this is the way the car should come from the factory. I've driven a Legacy GT sedan with Bilsteins and Ion springs and as expected my setup doesn't match that but for $403 total installation price with alignment and tax I'm happy with my choice for the total money spent to make my DD even better.

Konis are awesome but like double the price, not even close. What are these "budget" springs? Raliteks, epic, swift, tein, they all run 200-300. I can't spend 600 for struts, 250 for springs, and more for an alignment at once. KYBs are more than fine for a DD.

Keeping older cars up to snuff gets expensive. Either keep it up or let it slide.

If you want better handling but money is the deciding factor, run the stock springs with the Konis to even out the price difference. Maybe score some used Bilsteins if they come up.

If you're not looking for a performance upgrade then get the KYB and run with stock springs. Many people report poor results combining typical lowering springs with budget / OE replacement dampers. Either mod the right way or stay stock.

If you want better handling but money is the deciding factor, run the stock springs with the Konis to even out the price difference. Maybe score some used Bilsteins if they come up.

If you're not looking for a performance upgrade then get the KYB and run with stock springs. Many people report poor results combining typical lowering springs with budget / OE replacement dampers. Either mod the right way or stay stock.

:whore:

keeping older cars up to snuff gets expensive. Either keep it up or let it slide.

If you want better handling but money is the deciding factor, run the stock springs with the konis to even out the price difference. Maybe score some used bilsteins if they come up.

If you're not looking for a performance upgrade then get the kyb and run with stock springs. Many people report poor results combining typical lowering springs with budget / oe replacement dampers. Either mod the right way or stay stock.

+2

Keeping older cars up to snuff gets expensive. Either keep it up or let it slide.

KYB with Rallitek/Epic/etc are more than acceptable, and in fact, made for OE strut/spring applications. Stop acting like you NEED a 600 dollar pair of struts to run a very mild drop spring.

"This is an adventure."

KYB with Rallitek/Epic/etc are more than acceptable, and in fact, made for OE strut/spring applications. Stop acting like you NEED a 600 dollar pair of struts to run a very mild drop spring.

But if, like I've been told, Eibach's and similar drop springs will kill the OEM shocks eventually, won't replacing them with these give the same result?

I have Pro Kits on my stock struts for ~10k miles now. I'm waiting for the "inevitable" replacement, and was expecting to have to go to Konis, so I'm asking a serious question here.

From what I understand installing a mild drop spring such as Eibachs on a stock strut will lower the expected lifetime by about 20%. Struts should probably be replaced after about 75k, although I have 91k on my stock ones right now and I know people have have gotten well over 100k out of stock struts. With this in mind KYBs or OEM struts should last about 60k. Because KYBs are stiffer than OEM struts I would expect them to fair better and last longer. At less than half the price of Koni's they seem like a good option.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Stop acting like you NEED a 600 dollar pair of struts to run a very mild drop spring.

I've run both and in my opinion the Konis are worth every penny over the price of the cheap units. The KYB is okay, but you only get what you pay for.

When you add install and alignment costs to both choices, the Konis are not double the price. Also note the Konis can be rebuilt and basically have a lifetime warranty.

Stop acting like you NEED a 600 dollar pair of struts to run a very mild drop spring.

MY point in all of this is why drop it? Looks I would guess.

If you wanna do it on the cheap cut the springs! Or how bout if you can't do it right(it costs money) leave it stock or uprgrade.

This whole thread reaks of CHEAP . Is there a Hogzaust mod fr this?

Don't think so.:(

If you're going to mod a car it's going to cost monys.Case closed.

Not everyone can afford $1000 for struts and springs, but $600 is within budget. Yes, installation and alignment need to be factored in, but again the difference is $300-400 for struts and likely extra in installation.

If you have the available funds, or if you track the car, then it makes sense to get konis. However for a DD on a budget there is nothing wring with spending less on parts that are perfectly fine for the average driver.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

This whole thread reaks of CHEAP .

If you're going to mod a car it's going to cost monys.Case closed.

Now hang on I started this thread. I'm not modding my car, I just need to replace my suspension. considering my car goes off road in fields, etc... for mtb races I don't want it lowered.

I don't have the $1000 to spend on suspension and I'm looking for a direct replacement for my OEM set up.

what gets me about this site is when you post for people's opinions, automatically everyone tells you to go for the high end stuff for better handling, performance, whatever.

It's my f$cking daily driver! it's got 175k on it, I have no desire to track the car. I enjoy spirited driving every now and again and I'm satisfied with what the OEM suspension has done for me up til now.

MKAY!!!!??!?!?!?!?!

It's my f$cking daily driver! it's got 175k on it, I have no desire to track the car. I enjoy spirited driving every now and again and I'm satisfied with what the OEM suspension has done for me up til now.

MKAY!!!!??!?!?!?!?!

Pretty much this.

"This is an adventure."

Archived