LegacyGT.com

Tirerack KYB shocks/struts?

c-lo

I think it's about time for new suspension. I don't need anything fancy. car has 174k on it and it's a daily driver.

Opinions on KYB shocks/struts?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and this is good yes?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

They are supposed to be a bit stiffer. I'm probably going to install KYB struts later this summer with Eibach springs as my budget is pretty tight right now.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Based on discussions with a friend who is a salesman at Tirerack, the GR-2's and rears are an OEM replacement, and a bit stiffer like soloz2 describes. He told me one could expect a stock feeling ride. He said the lifespan is typically 60-100k depending on driving style. An entry level setup, but certainly a vast improvement to your current suspension at 174K.

and this is good yes?

The OEM KYBs are pretty underdamped, IMO. GR2s are a low-pressure gas strut/shock and are essentially OEM replacement. If you are planning on keeping your stock springs or any lowered spring that works w/ KYB style top hats (e.g., Eibachs, Cobb, Rallitek, etc.), I'd go w/ Konis. For springs that use Bilstein top hats (stock Spec B, STI pinks, Swift, etc.), go w/ Bilstein HDs or Tokico HTS.

The OEM KYBs are pretty underdamped, IMO. GR2s are a low-pressure gas strut/shock and are essentially OEM replacement. If you are planning on keeping your stock springs or any lowered spring that works w/ KYB style top hats (e.g., Eibachs, Cobb, Rallitek, etc.), I'd go w/ Konis. For springs that use Bilstein top hats (stock Spec B, STI pinks, Swift, etc.), go w/ Bilstein HDs or Tokico HTS.

What do you mean by springs that use Bilstein top hats?

budget is not REAL tight....but not sure I want to swing the Bilsteins

Based on discussions with a friend who is a salesman at Tirerack, the GR-2's and rears are an OEM replacement, and a bit stiffer like soloz2 describes. He told me one could expect a stock feeling ride. He said the lifespan is typically 60-100k depending on driving style. An entry level setup, but certainly a vast improvement to your current suspension at 174K.

How do you mean entry level set up?

They are supposed to be a bit stiffer. I'm probably going to install KYB struts later this summer with Eibach springs as my budget is pretty tight right now.

similiar, budget is not real tight, but still. Which Eibach springs are you putting in?

What do you mean by springs that use Bilstein top hats?

The use of Spec B/Bilstein top hats will raise your car by around 5/8" in front. Springs that are designed for the Bilstein top hats, like pinks and Swifts, have a rated drop that is based on the use of the Bilstein top hat. If you use such a spring w/ stock KYB-style struts and top hats, your actual front drop will be approximately 5/8" more than rated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowsports http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

How do you mean entry level set up?

Basic OEM replacement - Stock fit, and performance.

If budget is not limited and you aren't going to go crazy with coilovers.. Bilsteins should be considered. Springs will likely come into play though. Truth be told... I'm no expert. I have ridden as a passenger on this set up and it was responsive and firm.

From what I understand KYB and Koni are the best two options.

Choose KYB if you are at stock ride height or very slightly lowered and will not track your car. This should be a good comfortable DD setup on a budget.

Choose Koni if you are lowered and/or track drive harder. They are adjustable so you can get the ride how you want it, but will be stiffer even on the soft setting.

I have a set of Eibach pro-kit springs and if both my wife and I were working full time I'd probably get the konis IMO. As it stands my car is just a DD that I'd like less body roll and a slightly sportier ride so I think KYB will be fine and fit my budget a lot better. I prob won't get around to installing until mid July or August though.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

The use of Spec B/Bilstein top hats will raise your car by around 5/8" in front. Springs that are designed for the Bilstein top hats, like pinks and Swifts, have a rated drop that is based on the use of the Bilstein top hat. If you use such a spring w/ stock KYB-style struts and top hats, your actual front drop will be approximately 5/8" more than rated.

That's what you meant, because I'm on Swifts & Konis. I was like WTF are you talking about :lol:

just to clarify: I'm I go with KYB's you recommended Koni springs?

^No, he is essentially saying the KYBs are not an upgrade. If you want to upgrade the shocks/struts, he's suggesting you go with Koni's, Bilstein or Tokico HTS instead. With the Koni's, you can still use your stock springs, or upgrade to Eibachs, Cobb or Rallitek springs. With the Bilstein or Tokico HTS shocks/struts, you can use the stock springs off a Spec B, STI Pinks or Swift springs.

There are no Koni springs.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

thx. that's what I thought but wanted to clarify.

Springs are all the same, the upper perches match no matter which springs you use. However the top hats for Spec B need to have washers or adapters in order to work with Koni/KYB struts. We actually sell adapters to use KYB/Konis with Spec B top Hats.

-mike

Here is our take on the strut stuff...

KYB- OEM Replacement with very marginal upgrade in terms of dampening.

Koni- One of the best if not the best upgrade if using OEM springs or lowering springs. The konis also carry a liftime warranty on the parts and are adjustable, so if this is a daily driver, you can go from fairly stock stiffness to a track setup very easily.

-mike

I think it's about time for new suspension. I don't need anything fancy. car has 174k on it and it's a daily driver.

Ya think? 174K? :eek:

If you press down on any fender do you hear a loud squishy sound coming from your suspension?:lol:

J/K with ya ;)

Konis will be more comfortable than the KYB's. Period.

Agreed. The main difference will be price point. If you are into spending the $ for the Konis then they are by far the best choice. If it's a DD and just looking to get new struts, the KYBs will work fine as well.

-mike

Yeah if you have a specific budget and don't wanna shell out a lot of cha ching, then definitely go with the KYB's. Also, I would not get them from Teh TireRack because you get hit with massive shipping charges especially like in my case where one shock was going to be shipped from one warehouse and the other from another warehouse. I got mine from Amazon for 60 a piece + free shipping. I replaced both front struts and couldn't be happier.

Archived