LegacyGT.com

Here is myebay $279 shipped in-dash 7" Nav, bluetooth, DVD USB, and SD card review

itsme

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have 2008 2.5i. Has anyone (using the crutchfield double din) used this (noted in KJET's post). Seriously considering this!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290573184558#ht_11381wt_949

Thanks!

Kenny

Wonder if that would fit in the standard Nav screen opening? Time to take some measurements.

Edit: Looks like the OEM opening is 6.0" x 3.25" so it doesn't look like that HU would work.

The crutchfield double din only works on the legacys without auto climate control, the one with 3 knobs i think. You have to get the JDM double din if you have auto climate control. which is like 300+ and you end up with your auto button on right and hazard on left. If i'm not mistaken!

For the sub control, if you are using proper crossovers, and know the frequency range of the Hi, mid and low for the equalizer you can easily compensate for sub control. Sub control isnt that important in my opinion, especially if your doing your system properly. The radios probably have a standard equalizer control, and if you know the frequency range, then you can adjust them much better than with sub control. Lows are 20-1000, 300-5000 are your mids and 2000+ are your highs. Or some shit like that, if you can figure out what ranges your radio is controlling then like I said a sub control is useless. A sub with no highs is just a ghetto blaster. Gotta have some tweeters. A good system lets you hear what the artist is actually singing. and does it clear and clean. **** SUB CONTROL! If you have to adjust the subs everytime you adjust your volume your doing it wrong.

The crutchfield double din only works on the legacys without auto climate control, the one with 3 knobs i think. You have to get the JDM double din if you have auto climate control. which is like 300+ and you end up with your auto button on right and hazard on left. If i'm not mistaken!

For the sub control, if you are using proper crossovers, and know the frequency range of the Hi, mid and low for the equalizer you can easily compensate for sub control. Sub control isnt that important in my opinion, especially if your doing your system properly. The radios probably have a standard equalizer control, and if you know the frequency range, then you can adjust them much better than with sub control. Lows are 20-1000, 300-5000 are your mids and 2000+ are your highs. Or some shit like that, if you can figure out what ranges your radio is controlling then like I said a sub control is useless. A sub with no highs is just a ghetto blaster. Gotta have some tweeters. A good system lets you hear what the artist is actually singing. and does it clear and clean. **** SUB CONTROL! If you have to adjust the subs everytime you adjust your volume your doing it wrong.

Whenever I listen to songs on my ipod, they are X loud with lots of bass, then from my phone still loud but no bass, then back to the ipod with a rock song and bass, just not enough. Although I rarely touch my sub control, when different songs need more bass, its nice to have a control. Not that the others aren't needed, but bass, for me, seems to change the most.

make sure your not using equalizers on your ipod or phone. the same mp3 on the phone or ipod should yield the same sound. hence the whole digital thing. granted they may offer different playback volume. but you also have device attributes, back to the frequencies again. the ipod frequency range vs the phone frequency range is probably different. ipod is a hi end media device, so it probably covers the full range of the audio spectrum, meanwhile your cell phone needs to conserve power and do other functions so it is probably cutting out the lower frequencies(which draw most power)! its like ipod can play 15-22000hertz and your phone does 30-18000! so for those good tracks with the good bass your phone isnt playing the lows period, so what your really doing is more a cheap compensation or ear tom foolery. get some software on your pc and put all your songs on your ipod. look into what frequences both devices can cover. its just a pain in the ass having to adjust and drive all the time. its best to have a nice linear effect, not so much on the fly reprogramming everytime you wanna hear your favorite tracks. dont dj and drive!

I already have 99% of my music on my ipod, I would rather listen from my phone since I can run nav at the same time(I use my phone for nav) also when a call comes in I don't have to switch it.

With this radio, I would assume you can run nav at the same time as playing music, but are you able to play music, have nav going, and recieve a call as long as your bluetooth is connected(muted the nav and music and allows you to answer the call)

I don't really have a big problem with the lack of sub controller. I don't know what the sub out crosses over at but, the radio is much cleaner and sounds much better than my old line out converterI have a sub amp so I can control the sub crossover and gain. The only time I think about a sub controller is when I play older music and the levels are lower and not as clear. I have all of my music on a couple of 16gb thumb drives(about 12k songs) and don't even burn CDs for my car anymore. But when I switch from Ice Cube to Steely Dan I want to adjust the sub a bit.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

would this work in older legacies? I.e 99 sus?

Are you talking about the radio?

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I have 2008 2.5i. Has anyone (using the crutchfield double din) used this (noted in KJET's post). Seriously considering this!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290573184558#ht_11381wt_949

Thanks!

Kenny

So I decided to pull the trigger on this setup. Eventually I want to add a backup camera but for now Ill go with this. I'll update everyone once installed.

Ryan

Received both the radio and the bezel within a week. Raidio looks great. Still havent installed the device yet..Ran into a little issue as the Scoche double din is actually slightly smaller than a true real "double din" compartment. It will require some trimming. Unfortunatly the radio I chose does not have a trim piece so the cuts will have to be very clean or i will have to add a trim piece. Hopefully I'll get some time next week...pending we do not get another Hurricane!!

Kenny

So how did you all connect the speakers to the unit ? Did you have to splice any wires ? I would like to install it on an 2009 Forester without much wire cutting at all.

I also noticed there are 2 units:

The one that itsme reviewed 7 inch

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180626806115&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and a 6.2 inch unit that someone else purchased

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290573184558#ht_11381wt_949

They look to be the same (function wise). Which one is the recommended unit for a Subaru ? (I need rear view camera).

Also:

a) who makes the maps ? Are they any good ?

b) any special harness that you have to purchase

c) any recommended rear view camera ?

Windows CE 5 can be hacked. I looked into it when I did my latest CarPC install. In fact I am using bits of it in my XP Pro N-Lite.

Unfortunately Win CE is not exactly Win XP embedded.

There will be another SD card somewhere inside the unit that stores the Win CE and the interface and any drivers. To get Tactrix to work you somehow must get to it and install the driver in there and somehow get the unit to use the sole USB port (meant for uploading) as a com port for the Tactrix unit. And you need to install RomRaider which I somehow doubt is meant to run on CE. Not saying it cannot be done but unlikely for the average guy.

The less common XP embedded was really a minimalist XP (something we sort of build ourseloves with nLite) but had the rapid logon/logoff features of Win CE (called MinLogon and HORMS) and you could install 3rd party drivers, software and hardware on it just like with the full XP.

So how did you all connect the speakers to the unit ? Did you have to splice any wires ? I would like to install it on an 2009 Forester without much wire cutting at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180626806115&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290573184558#ht_11381wt_949

They look to be the same (function wise). Which one is the recommended unit for a Subaru ? (I need rear view camera).

Also:

a) who makes the maps ? Are they any good ?

b) any special harness that you have to purchase

c) any recommended rear view camera ?

Windows CE 5 can be hacked. I looked into it when I did my latest CarPC install. In fact I am using bits of it in my XP Pro N-Lite.

A) http://www.sygic.com/en It's decent I haven't had any problem with it so far. It's loaded on a SD card so you can change it.

B) SVXdc sells the harness so it's an easy install and it's a simple plug and play. You don't damage the stock harness.

C) the rear view camara uses an RCA. The camaras are all over ebay.

I took a quick look at the 6.2 inch unit you listed above. If you do not have the auto climate controls and use the scosche double din kit...it will not fit without trimming the unit. According to ebay its 185mm/178mm/100. Even hough a standard double din is 180mm/165/100 ( which is the exact dimension of the unit i purchased (i dont have the link on me) the scosche unit is slightly smaller...about 1/4 of an inch too narrow and 1/8 of an inch too short. Anyone who picked up the jdm kid know the dimensions of the opening? I believe with the cheaper ebay units are slightly bigger...

Kenny.

Who is svdx? The vendor? Or a user here on the forums . Tks.

Yes, SVXdc is a member on the forums. He has a link on the jdm double din install thread

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got around to installing the head-unit today....I dont want to complain too much because i have the 2.51 and not the GT but it wasn't that easy....could be because Im 6'4..240 pounds....or because i was hung over..Total time i'd say 6 hours. This was due to the following reasons:

-Had to increase the size of the double din opening by approx 1/8" all around..using a hand file

-Had to customize the OEM Radio Mounts to keep the radio flush.

The only thing i didn't get around to yet was the back-up camera. I picked up a Aux-in and USB-in flush mount ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZNXX7C]Amazon.com: Jensen Usb & Auxiliary Audio Input Jack: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]) and I wired that to the Arm Rest (where the OEM Aux in plug is). I will post some pictures this week but heres a night shot of the screen.

Overall im VERY happy with the head unit. I didnt have much time to test too many of the features out, but GPS signal picked up my location right away.

Thanks for everyone who helped me along the way.

Added a second picture. Daytime shot!

IMAG0139.thumb.jpg.229b4a3da5ec95a7e55806bb33ca8d43.jpg

IMAG0140.thumb.jpg.f0e30596f61fcafb8853a5df470e6550.jpg

Archived