LegacyGT.com

A different Horse Power Approach for N/A rides !

Why would it not free up power... The power used moving its heavy a$$ around would become free to be used elsewhere within the vehicle. (better handling, quicker in turns and accelerating because of the weight reduction)

As mentioned I understand you can only lighten a vehicle so much, but every little bit helps.

As mentioned this is about making the car perform better and making it a little more fun that is all.

I know the 2.5i will never be a beast and will never beat certain other vehicles and while many of us believe a couple hundred pounds lost on mods that will already be done wont make a big difference.... the reality is it will make some difference in the drivers enjoyment

For example not only will my car ditch 20-30 pounds when I install coil overs... I will also be able to Adjust height and have better suspension performance...

So really there are multiple benefits to dropping weight by replacing the parts

And just to clarify these ideas are not to help a 2.5i beat anything simply to make it more fun to drive.

By the way Brand new universal racing seats by Sparco can be had for 230 per seat so the estimate of 400 per seat is a bit high

also a lot of these mods can be found on the used market therefore making it a lot less than the speculated 4k it would take. I would go as far as saying if all of this was had on the used market (which would take much patience) you could do it all for a little over 2k

It was meant in a "terminology" manner, by definition you wouldn't free up any power, you would just make the entire car lighter and easier to move. An example of "Freeing" up power would be like adding a downpipe to a lgt, it allows the engine to make more power. Like I said, just a terminology thing.

It is your car, so by all means do what will make you happy. I think the general consensus is that it is just not worth the monetary investment.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would it not free up power... The power used moving its heavy a$$ around would become free to be used elsewhere within the vehicle. (better handling, quicker in turns and accelerating because of the weight reduction)

The amount of power that the engine makes is the same regardless of if you have lighter seats or brakes or coilovers. You will have a better power to weight ratio. The power remains the same. Better power to weight = feels faster. Horsepower isn't freed up at all. It's just FELT more in the seat of your pants.

Lighter crank pulley increases crank horsepower, albeit a small amount. THAT frees up power, AND lessens overall weight.

It is your car, so by all means do what will make you happy. I think the general consensus is that it is just not worth the monetary investment.

This^^^

But it is far more complex we are just giving you the easy answer. Technically power can't be made easily with this engine and the functionality lost by shedding weight (you would need to remove major part i.ie spare, seats, panels, AC ) is inversely related.

Also take into account our 2.5i is geared fairly tall compared to a Scion so they get up to optimal RPM range a tad quicker and stay there translating into a loss for you at your nearest stoplight.

There are threads of guys with 2.5i that did cams and intakes and tuning and yield very very very minute gains compared to the dollar amount spent.

We're not mocking you but if you want more power buy the turbo kit, a turbo car, a supercharger kit, a supercharged car or some other non-AWD car in the same HP range as they wont suffer from parasitic drivetrain loss :)

It's generally good practice to remove weight or material from dynamic components.

Things like lighter wheels, tires, brake rotors are good places to start. Rotating engine components (crank pulley, flywheel), and using high quality synthetic lubricants that decrease friction are all good ways to make the best of what the engine can do.

If you want to travel down this (to me, pointless) path, those are the places to start. Pulling out 40lbs of sound deadening is going to do nothing but make your car less fun to drive.

Think about it like this. Do you notice a performance difference with a full tank than with an empty tank? Not likely. If you are serious about weight savings, drive around every day with 1/8th a tank of fuel, and keep the sound deadening in place.

Oh, and if you are all going to bicker over semantics. Horsepower isn't "freed". The engine doesn't contain horsepower just looking for an outlet. Power is generated, and is specifically a function of work. To say that horsepower is "freed up", is like saying that a log contains fire.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

To say that horsepower is "freed up", is like saying that a log contains fire.

WTF it doesn't !?! :eek:

:lol: jk

i mean sure pursuing these mods it's pointless, but let the OP have his fun, we could all just say, hey modding your car is stupid why don't you just sell your car and buy a porsche GT3 RS because at this rate you'll never be faster than that. and it's true but if we all lived it nobody would be on these forums. since we've already got what we have we might as well enjoy it.

I am just trying to make the most of what I have...

I will not be dropping 4k on my car but will be investing a little just like many owners have to improve my ride.

I am simply just drawing a line between many mods us N/A owners do and the fact that dropping weight will improve performance.

That's good! But make sure you make the best of what you have without losing the best of what you have.

Trust me. You'll pull things like sound deadening out of the car, or trunk trim pieces, or things like that, and you'll soon realize that you are driving a car no one wants to be in, including you. It'll be noisy, loud, and uncomfortable and it STILL won't be fast.

If you are OK with that, then go for it

Lots of people think "Oh, I'll just get coilovers! There is no downside". But until you realize that your kidneys hurt, or your trim starts falling off because the ride is so harsh, it becomes a lot less fun.

Unless you don't mind an uncomfortable car. In which case, we revert back to the "you bought the wrong car" concept.

Bottom line, the drop in weight wont be significant without removing practicality, comfort, and functionality from the car. Again, you can't feel the performance difference between a full tank and an empty tank, can you?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So then you aren't actually losing weight on purpose. You are doing other mods and happen to be losing weight at the same time.

You guys aren't thinking big enough on the weight reduction idea.

Cut the roof off, take off the doors and trunk and hood, and definintely take out all seats. Sit on a plastic milk crate instead.

You will free up hundreds of pounds and make your car a rocket ship!!

So then you aren't actually losing weight on purpose. You are doing other mods and happen to be losing weight at the same time.

Yes, but the minimal weight loss combined with the effects of say coilover's, or a light weight CP will still be a nice little performance increase which is all us 2.5 owner's want. If you're doing suspension anyway, it would be nice to save a little bit of weight while you're at it

exactly but not at the same time. I am trying to compile a list for us newer guys on what mods to do that will drop weight as well as increase performance.

It is just there are many here who have mis understood the way in which I have approached it.

Yes, but the minimal weight loss combined with the effects of say coilover's, or a light weight CP will still be a nice little performance increase which is all us 2.5 owner's want. If you're doing suspension anyway, it would be nice to save a little bit of weight while you're at it

Exactly finally someone on my wavelength

That is why the list of mods were mainly things most of us 2.5i guys go at save the racing seats/battery!

• Mega Users
Upgrade for the sake of the upgrade. Such as struts, springs, sways, rims, and tires to improve handling, not weight savings. If you save a few pounds that's gravy but your handling will be out of this world and will more than compensate for the apparent heaviness of the car.

well I have already done the sways, new endlinks, and reinforcement brackets. installing a light weight pulley on Wed. and then onto exhaust and coilovers. While these are all great improvements on my ride It will cut a bit of weight though it may be a small amount and will I notice it... maybe or maybe.... however, it will make a difference... whether it be large or small it is still a difference

Archived