LegacyGT.com

2012 Subaru Impreza....

godwhomismike

That was not a test of the CVT that was a test of the AWD configuration and transfer case. You do know the difference right? No torque delivery? A CVT delivers more of the available torque than a conventional automatic to the drive system because there are no slipping clutches or torque converters to sap energy. A CVT may not always choose the optimum "gear ratio" but it is inherently more efficient than a conventional automatic transmission. Seriously, you have proven time and again your knowledge of cars is non-existent.

Once again, you provide anecdotes instead of data.

They should ban you for being stupid. ;) Did you miss the complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration I cut and pasted? Nissan has paid dearly for extending the warranty on the cvts. Do you think that extension was free? :lol: Maybe you can talk to Subaru about extending our warranty if it is so cheap and easy?

All I've said is that the Nissan/Murano cvt was a fail. You can go ahead and make yourself look bad by attacking what I say, but you are just making yourself look bad. I've even posted in other threads that the cvt is used in racing.

Nissan knew there was a problem with the Murano CVT. You and your "full red dot" magazine are a hoot. Please stop before I need hernia surgery.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They should ban you for being stupid. ;) Did you miss the complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration I cut and pasted? Nissan has paid dearly for extending the warranty on the cvts. Do you think that extension was free? :lol: Maybe you can talk to Subaru about extending our warranty if it is so cheap and easy?

All I've said is that the Nissan/Murano cvt was a fail. You can go ahead and make yourself look bad by attacking what I say, but you are just making yourself look bad. I've even posted in other threads that the cvt is used in racing.

Nissan knew there was a problem with the Murano CVT. You and your "full red dot" magazine are a hoot. Please stop before I need hernia surgery.

When your mom dropped you on your head (the first time?) did you hit a few things on the way down, or was it just a single impact head injury?:confused:

The NHTSA complaints database is the most useless source of information on car reliabilty there is. The NHTSA never follows up on any of the complaints and they can't be verified at all. I could go on there right now and say that the transmission in my Subaru failed, there is no way to prove what I am writing is true...at all. The Toyota UIA incident proves that the data was spurious at best, so stop trying to use it as a source for reliabilty "data." Nissan would only have "paid dearly" for the warranty extension if there were a lot failures that they had to cover, a data point that I have shown isn't true. And what does the CVT being used in racing have to do with anything?

You haven't provided any data that shows that the CVT was a "fail." Until you do, STFU about it.

When your mom dropped you on your head (the first time?) did you hit a few things on the way down, or was it just a single impact head injury?:confused:

The NHTSA complaints database is the most useless source of information on car reliabilty there is. The NHTSA never follows up on any of the complaints and they can't be verified at all. I could go on there right now and say that the transmission in my Subaru failed, there is no way to prove what I am writing is true...at all. The Toyota UIA incident proves that the data was spurious at best, so stop trying to use it as a source for reliabilty "data." Nissan would only have "paid dearly" for the warranty extension if there were a lot failures that they had to cover, a data point that I have shown isn't true. And what does the CVT being used in racing have to do with anything?

You haven't provided any data that shows that the CVT was a "fail." Until you do, STFU about it.

Oh the Nissan letter hoping for renewed consumer confidence and extended warranty was a sign of success? It's always good when your customers contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Why don't you go back to the magazine with your little red balls......:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Okay - We've all heard enough about Nissan's issues to derail this thread if it continues, so let's get this back to discussion about the 2012 Subaru Impreza.

I've encouraged my daughter to take a look at the 2012 Impreza to see if it will work for her. All we drive are Subarus, so getting her into one that can provide good mileage and longevity for her 100-150 mile work routing will be the guage for her. Am going to go check one out as soon as my local dealership gets one in-house.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Okay - We've all heard enough about Nissan's issues to derail this thread if it continues, so let's get this back to discussion about the 2012 Subaru Impreza.

I've encouraged my daughter to take a look at the 2012 Impreza to see if it will work for her. All we drive are Subarus, so getting her into one that can provide good mileage and longevity for her 100-150 mile work routing will be the guage for her. Am going to go check one out as soon as my local dealership gets one in-house.

I agree. Thank you. Your other youtube video was appreciated by the way.

Review of new Impreza in TTAC:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/01/review-2012-subaru-impreza-2-0i-limited/

Short summary- Unless you "need AWD", there are better choices.

Totally agree monkey shiner. Subaru's have far better resale than the competition, but the mileage is lower, potentially negating any increased value. Some people wouldn't benefit from the added safety of awd in wet conditions in the life of the car either. There is a potential higher cost of maintenance for the added safety and resale of all wheel drive too.

There's only so many pennies in a dollar and to get the added cost of parts, engineering, design, manufacturing, etc. of the drive shaft, differential, rear drives, etc. you gotta make a trade off. The plastics are so much better plastic in a Hundai and Kia. It's hard not to buy the competition considering the better plastics and blue tooth/ipod hook up. Can't live without those. :)

Totally agree monkey shiner. Subaru's have far better resale than the competition, but the mileage is lower, potentially negating any increased value. Some people wouldn't benefit from the added safety of awd in wet conditions in the life of the car either. There is a potential higher cost of maintenance for the added safety and resale of all wheel drive too.

There's only so many pennies in a dollar and to get the added cost of parts, engineering, design, manufacturing, etc. of the drive shaft, differential, rear drives, etc. you gotta make a trade off. The plastics are so much better plastic in a Hundai and Kia. It's hard not to buy the competition considering the better plastics and blue tooth/ipod hook up. Can't live without those. :)

It's not my opinion that I was summarizing you incoherent, cretin fan-boy. It was the author's.

There is no such thing as the "added safety of awd." Stop drinking the kool-aid and form your own opinions that aren't just advertising double speak thought up by fat, sweaty, communications school drop-outs.

Subaru's have far better resale than the competition, but the mileage is lower, potentially negating any increased value.
The new Impreza may not hit the magic 40 mpg hwy number, but it's competitive with the class in terms of fuel economy, which the previous gen wasn't.

For MY2011, the Focus was +8 mpg hwy compared to Impreza. For MY2012, it's +1 (SEL, Titanium), +2 (SE), or +4 (SE w/ SFE package). Similar situation with the Cobalt/Cruze. Impreza beats the current Corolla, which hasn't been updated lately. Beats the 2.0L Jetta.

The only compacts (excluding hybrids, diesels) rated 40+ hwy not in an eco trim are the Elantra and Mazda3 (SKYACTIV). And a few subcompacts (Sonic, Accent/Rio, Veloster manual).

It's not my opinion that I was summarizing you incoherent, cretin fan-boy. It was the author's.

There is no such thing as the "added safety of awd." Stop drinking the kool-aid and form your own opinions that aren't just advertising double speak thought up by fat, sweaty, communications school drop-outs.

Your comments are unappreciated.

Saw my first one in the wild today: a red sedan in what seemed like the limited trim going by the wheel design. Looked nice!

The Impreza is nicer looking than the old one and has better plastics than the older version, for those who value nice plastics. Subaru's are cheaper in some respects than the competition. Like monkey shines says, if you don't live on in an area where it snows, on a rough country road, area it rains, area where there is ice or go to those places then there are cars that may be better options. The impreza isn't a car I'd buy purely based on looks, electronics or quality of interior. Don't want to be confused with one of the growing number of "Subaru fan-boys".

Face it, Subaru's aren't that good looking. They are more of an ugly labrapoodle heinz 57.

The Impreza is nicer looking than the old one and has better plastics than the older version, for those who value nice plastics. Subaru's are cheaper in some respects than the competition. Like monkey shines says, if you don't live on in an area where it snows, on a rough country road, area it rains, area where there is ice or go to those places then there are cars that may be better options. The impreza isn't a car I'd buy purely based on looks, electronics or quality of interior. Don't want to be confused with one of the growing number of "Subaru fan-boys".

Face it, Subaru's aren't that good looking. They are more of an ugly labrapoodle heinz 57.

Subaru aren't known for their looks. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it doesn't matter if other people think it looks ugly. There are some who will still see the beauty every time.

The Nissan Juke is a prime example.

Subaru aren't known for their looks. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it doesn't matter if other people think it looks ugly. There are some who will still see the beauty every time.

The Nissan Juke is a prime example.

You are right. The looks have improved, but still don't wow me. Don't want to be one of those Subaru "Fan Boys" either. :)

There's quite a few nods IMO to the 4th Gen Legacy, and that makes it "sortof" good looking. But there's also enough blandness in the styling (maybe it's the proportions), that it still puts me off - not quite as much as the 5th Gen Legacy puts me off, but certainly not enough of the sharp styling cues from the 4th Gen that would make me look twice.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

IMO, the new Impreza looks better than the old one, especially the interior. Since the Impreza and Forester share the same interiors I would guess that this is what is in store for the next Forester too.

The 05-09 Legacy was a good looking car, with a nod to the 08 front-end refresh. If I was buying a car on looks, I'd easily place it up there with the A4, 3 series and similar cars.

The 2010 Legacy really does not appeal to me. Too big and too bloated, thanks partly to safety regulations.

It's a rare day when TTAC writes a positive review on a Subaru. The Farago incident seems to have left a bad taste in the mouths of the writers that linger to this day. I think Michael Karesh is/was on this site.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think Michael Karesh is/was on this site.
Yup - the less than positive review is from him, while the other review is from Brendan McAleer

Always entertaining to see how much emotion an economy car can elicit from some reviewers... personally, when I was looking I was still surprised at how much more bang for the buck Subaru offered over it's competitors (mostly in terms of little things, like not having a tiny tunnel when you fold the seats down, the extra storage over the spare tire, etc.)

ive come to the conclusion that 85% of all these car review sites that have popped up are full of people that i would pay 10 dollars to kick squaw in the nuts. The Impreza limited in white is a damn good looking car in person.

Oh and to previous arguments about the cvt, subie learned from nissan to develop, but uses better materials for belts and they don't try and stick it in there 6 cylinders. Rubberband man rolling in the 6 too much power for them. There have been no common problems with subarus cvt. none.

The 2012 Impreza Sport has 08/09 OBXT wheels in dark gray.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I sat in the 2012 Impreza today. More room, slightly better materials. I don't like the rubberized texture on the dash.

Looks like they finally hired a designer that sort of knew something about cars. Well, to do the inside anyway.

I still maintain that the guy who designed the 05 Legacy and the 08 Legacy refresh was an intern who wanted too much money to stay on at the end of his internship.

Archived