LegacyGT.com

TINTs, TINTs, TINTS. So many out there

mtnsubie

Juxta,

now you're making your own assumptions and jumping to conclusions. i didn't say anything to knock his professionalism. if you read carefully, in fact i imply that its that price due to his experience. based on the other posts, $200 is on the high end. someone said they paid $120.

it almost seems like you're taking this personally. you got a vested interest in referring to him?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the risk of being brash, I'll translate what JuxtaGT said: You are cheap. ;) In all seriousness, more often than not, you get what you pay for with services. I paid $200 for my Suntek Carbon tint. Ended up being less because I worked out a trade with the shop owners for some goods that I sell. I've paid in the low $100's before too for cheaper film on another car. You can almost always find someone who will do the work for cheaper. Some may even do a top notch job, but most will cut corners, and you will likely not be happy with the results. I will say that I ran into another guy who does tint who looked over the install in my car and said that it was basically perfect. That certainly felt good and reasured me that my money was well spent.

Tinting is something you should pay for once in the lifetime of your car. I would gladly spend $50 more to have quality work done by an individual who comes highly recommended, rather than saving the $50 and taking my chances. You may have a different valuation of the situation, which is fine too.

What boostjunkie said...pay the extra $$ and have it done the right way. Also, no Huper Optik dealer is going to sell you bulk material.

Good luck doing it yourself. I don't even want to tell you how many times (in the past 10 years) I've had customers come in to get their "do-it-yourself" tint job replaced.

Wherever you go just be sure that the shop is saavy enough to file the edges rather than cut them in advance. Since we have the frameless doors it's a nice touch to have the edges super tight.

-Lee

Applied Film, LLC

edges.jpg.47410e4cb55f4329b53f8987565dcfdc.jpg

mtnsubie-

Sorry, was a little erked about something else last night when I wrote that, came off a little rant like.

No, nothing vested in him other then the money I paid to get the work done. I feel I spent a long time researching all the options for tinting in the Bay Area, so I guess I'm just defending who I finally decided was best for the job. I'm a loyal customer to all who get the job done right, and I'm not afraid to let others know it. I would argue just as much about someone who did a sh%#ty job as well, though.

JuxtaGT,

Thanks for the apology. We're cool. Good advice. As I said, Sidney did seem to be very serious about his job, so I might be willing to spend more than I wanted for his expertise.

BoostJunkie,

Please read more carefully what I wrote. I said that installer's price seemed fair.

Anyhow, enough of this nonsense. Let's stick to the topic of tint, shall we?

BoostJunkie,

Please read more carefully what I wrote. I said that installer's price seemed fair.

Please reread what I said. Also notice the use of the ;) smilie as I called you cheap... it's just a joke, lighten up. My response of getting what you pay for stands. You say that the price seems fair and the guy doing it comes highly recommended and impressed you. What is there to decide? Is it really better to say a couple bucks somewhere else? Penny wise, pound foolish.

Hmm, I have to say that you can get the tint quite "cheap".

I asked around here in my area (in Germany) and the cheapest offer was EURO 269,-- for 5 windows of my Legacy Wagon. The problem was that this company needs the car for a full day and they not quite in the near.

My brother and me ended up with DIY - last week we did our Legacy Wagons and the Suzuki Wagon R of my stepfather. We had a more expensive metallic film for our Legacys from FoliaTec (a german distributor of an american producer - can't remember the name).

I have to admit that it is a lot work and patience paired together with enough time is definitely needed. The results are good, but heck, the effort ... :redface:

Otherwise I got the film for less than EURO 200,-- for both cars ... and my brother also got a new tint

Yeah, that's what i'm talking about. its also a learning process and then you can tint other cars, make a few friends, a little money, possibly a side business or even your own private business. its just patience and effort. once again, this is NOT rocket science here. there are tricks of the trade to be learned which comes with experience. i don't think these guys go to school to apply tint.

When you get your Legacy tinted, do you remove the "Symmetrical AWD" decals first? On my wagon, I have these on the inside of my rear quarter windows. I also have some assembled in Indiana sticker, but I plan to remove that.

When you get your Legacy tinted, do you remove the "Symmetrical AWD" decals first? On my wagon, I have these on the inside of my rear quarter windows. I also have some assembled in Indiana sticker, but I plan to remove that.

The tint installer will remove any decals and thoroughly clean the inside window surface prior to applying a film.

Ken

They removed my decals. Just got the car back...It looks good, needs time to cure...I am concerned that on the rear window there are sporadic small little air bubbles here and there...those should work themselves out, right?

They removed my decals. Just got the car back...It looks good, needs time to cure...I am concerned that on the rear window there are sporadic small little air bubbles here and there...those should work themselves out, right?

i made them leave the sticker. looks great. for the nj dude. i went to tropic window tinting in union nj. cost $210 i think. its llumar brand. this is my 3rd car done by them. had 5% on my others and after 5 yrs it still looked the same as when i got it back the first day.

15% charcoal

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vx16.temp/560A0029.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vx16.temp/560A0023.jpg

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

.I am concerned that on the rear window there are sporadic small little air bubbles here and there...those should work themselves out, right?

Keep an eye on those bubbles. They should go away within a few days as the adhesive cures. If they don't, the shop needs to redo the window. There is dust under the film.

I have been considering tint for a potential new legacy, and my wife has been driving me a bit nuts with it. That and wanting to sell the Miata for a Legacy, once it is paid off. (I say, once it is paid off, why sell the miata? I'll just buy the Legacy... I like the miata, and so does she, but she thinks it will make buying a Legacy easier. Another story for another time...)

I have 20% tint on the rear three windows of my Ranger, and my wife HATES it. She doesn't like driving the thing anyway, but she always wants to use it to haul plants and stuff for her garden. She says she can't see anything out of the rear windows, because her pupils constrict when she looks out of the un-tinted front windows. Anyway, she complains that she can't see anything through the tinted windows.

Her miata windows are not tinted, because I don't see the point in tinting the rear porthole in the convertible top, as when it is sunny and bright, the top is down anyway.

I don't mind darker tint. All my cars have been tinted, and I haven't had trouble with them, even at night, and that has been a Fox-body Mustang hatchback, a Probe GT hatchback, and now my ranger extended cab pickup. My wife's cars have not been tinted, because according to her. "it is one of those guy things that I don't understand why you want."

I talk about wanting to tint the windows on a new legacy when we get one, and that sets her off. She says she doesn't want it too dark, or "You'll be in trouble." I am not sure what that means... :lol: Anyway, I want it dark enough to look nice from the outside, and keep the heat down on the inside (I want the Black Leather interior of a GT Limited, so heat is going to be an issue.)

I think I am coming up with a good compromise, where I want to tint the driver and passenger side windows at about 50% light transmission or otherwise pretty light, but enough to keep the front seats reasonably cool. Not dark enough to really attract LEOs.

I want to tint the rear doors and quarter windows pretty dark. At least 20% or darker, to eliminate the look of the black borders around the quarter windows, and unify the look, and keep the back seats/interior cool and keep outward prying eyes off of whatever stuff I might have sitting on the back seats, etc.

I am thinking for the rear window, something like 35%. Something dark enough to look tinted, but a bit lighter than the rear quarter windows, so that my wife doesn't complain so much about seeing through the rearview mirror or backing up, on the few occaisions that she might drive the car.

Do you folks think that a slightly lighter rear window will look OK from the outside, or will the rear window look odd with less tint compared to the rear doors and quarter windows?

Does anyone have ~35% tint, and how effective is it to cut down on heat? Is it dark enough for your tastes, or do you wish you'd have gone darker? I usually park my car with the back of the car (the tinted windows) facing the morning or afternoon sun, depending on the time of day, to help keep the interior cool and un-faded, so I do want the rear tinted enough to block enough UV and Infrared from fading and heating the interior.

I'll probably go around and find the best tinting material available, even if I have to save a month or two to afford it, but I will probably try to use ceramic-based tint.

I didn't remove the decals. But I guess when anytime in the future the film will be removed, the decals will go together with the film

Archived