LegacyGT.com

TINTs, TINTs, TINTS. So many out there

mtnsubie

They probably haven't filed before or they just don't want to take the extra time to do it since it can extend a normal tint job by 15 minutes or so. And if it's something they're not used to doing they're going to cover their asses and let you assume liability if it peels (from the top of the glass, obviously).

If it's done right you shouldn't have any problems at all. I have maybe 50 subarus rolling around the tri-state area with shaved edges and no issues.

An 1/8 of an inch isn't all that bad though...as long as it's uniform all the way around.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have seen Lumar dealers install by taking a razor perpendicular to the window and following the contour, then pulling the film down a hair below flush to the edge. Is this what you are referring to?

That's the traditional / conventional method. I let the film extend about a quarter inch over the edge all the way around, let them sit for a good half hour while I do the quarters and the rear window. Then I come back, once they've had time to set, and shave off the extra with a super fine, flat file...just a hair under where the bevel begins.

Rob - Did you ever use the old Auto Lux line? AL-21 was some of the best looking film in my opinion.

The Autolux was a fantastic line of films for brilliant lasting adhesive quality and clarity Lee even down here with such a severe hot climate we have but...........

It had dreadful fading problems that literally went to clear. Wtf?

I only used the AL 21 once and that was enough. I remember a mate of mine had to take a sticker off a rear screen and you would not believe the original colour under the sticker compared to the sun exposed area. It was like comparing 70% to a 20%.:mad:

I've had some very old jobs AL 35% back in for customer repair work and the difference especially in the top edge areas not hit by the sun have been huge.

Rob.

They said they have been in the business for 15+ years (local dealers use them i know) but they they never use files. She says if you leave it flush with the edge of the window (assume this is the benefit to filing?) it is very likely to peel. Said i could have it done that way if desired but they wouldn't warrenty against peeling. She said they leave about 1/8 inch on all cars as their standard approach.

LGTL,

This is BS and I agree totally with Lee on this!

I don't file but cut the edge with a knife right to where the arris edge comes onto the flat of the glass.

You don't see any edge gap whatsoever and I don't cut and drop it 1mm either.

As Lee says......it takes a bit longer to do either filing or precise cutting but this is the standard of work you should be getting unless you are paying peanuts for the job, then so be it.

In OZ you would never get away with visible edges anymore. Maybe 10 years ago but not now. The bar has been lifted well and truely.

Rob.;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well thanks for of the feedback. I got my windows tinted friday. It looks good and i probably wouldnt' have been disapointed had I not heard of the superior performance that you two do. I called 5 local tinters (3 madico) and two LLUMAR. The madico's were all small and one had actually switched to only doing houses. The two LLUMAR tinters were the largest in my city. Unfortunatly one refused to do 15%. So i went with the one that would. It looks good but they didn't come that close to the edges.. i would say 1/6 a centimeter from the edge plus there are 4 small bubbles on the bottom of the back window. I'll take it back if they don't go away, which i don't think they will because its been 3 days already. I'll post picks at a later time.

Like i said.. huge improvement over the none tinted GT, but i was really hoping for a better job after ready eveything on this forum.

• 2 years later...
I went with LLumar ceramic 35%, I live in Texas have a Newport Blue Legacy and want to see at night. I have known my tinter for over 12 years (he has done all my cars) and he charged me dealer cost $250.00 flat, no tax. It looks great to me and I can see out of my car at night. I will post pics tomorrow if it doesn't rain, even if the car is a bit dirty right now. I wanted heat rejection and my radio/cell phone to work so I chose the ceramic as the best compromise for me. It all boils down to me liking it and being happy with it. I am on both counts.:)

The first pioc is before the tint. The second is after, I believe that you will all agree that the car looks much better with the tint...:lol: Oh, and my tinter did remove all decals before doing the tint.

946846445_IMG_0060.JPG.1a07445c05d5b73f92d69733796d8b8b.JPG

51638612_IMG_0059.JPG.34d358c87b768f4104e99adb1f42fb8a.JPG

The first pioc is before the tint. The second is after, I believe that you will all agree that the car looks much better with the tint...:lol: Oh, and my tinter did remove all decals before doing the tint.

I can't see any difference :confused:

:p

Archived