LegacyGT.com

Proper flip key interest?

BAC5.2

Interested in an assisted open/close key?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in an assisted open/close key?

• Yes! I've been waiting for this!
    • No, the All-in-one is fine

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm only doing the "out the front" type for right now. I thought about a "swing" style key, but the OTF style was just more fun.

If there is interest, I can definitely do a push-button swing-style out of aluminum. It probably wouldn't be assisted-close though.

I might do a limited-run in some exotic material. Anyone interested in a Titanium version? Or maybe Tungsten?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'll wait and see on the OTF design, I'd like to see what you're planning on doing with it.

If you'd be willing to make a nice VW style key anodized black I'd be all over it. I dunno how I could fit my teardrop remote in one though - I haven't torn it open before, I have no idea how big the actual board is.

Definitely gonna keep up on this thread.

Don't worry about fitting the board. That's what I'm here for! I'm actually designing these to be as drop-in as possible. You won't have to do anything more than take your remote apart, move the board over to the new key, then get it cut and programmed.

The AIO owners are in a better place, because all they have to do is get the key cut since the transponder is easy to transfer.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Oh no! I got my first "no thanks" vote :(

I don't know if the price will be that low, but I should have a better idea of pricing soon!

Xero - I'll definitely make exotic materials an option. If I can get my hands on it, I can machine it. I wouldn't mind a Ti key for myself, actually.

Looks like I have a source for transponders, so all I have to work out is key blades! This means that all you have to do is go and get the key cut and programmed! No loss of other key!

The AIO keys won't come with a transponder, because using the one they take the remote from means they don't need to get the key programmed. But it will be an option, just in case.

Ill send you a PM. I can definitely hook you up.

I'd love something like this but price is always the holdback. I'm sure a lot of others agree as well. For $50, that would be awesome, but it would probably have to be some cheap nasty plastic and not "up to par" for your standards. But at that price a lot more people would probably be able to buy in. For $75, it might be a stretch for a few people, but to have a good quality product (aluminum case or something) it would be worth it to me. For $X, titanium would be awesome, but I know that it's not cheap, so while I'd love to have the bling factor, something that exotic would be out of my price range for a key. Just my thinking out loud here really.

I'd definitely be in for either style at a good price, but I have the teardrop setup, so I'd want something like that so I can use my internals and keep the price down.

Providing just a case and maybe a blank would help keep the cost manageable for me personally, but it's all in what you have in mind and what you'll be making. I support the idea, but price will be the deciding factor for me.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Executor, that's exactly the kind of feedback I am interested in.

I'm not really into doing lower quality models. That's not how I operate. Doc can definitely attest to my quest for perfection.

I'll see what I can do on pricing. I might do a group-buy so I can keep my machine time down and that can knock a bunch of dollars off. The only added costs would be custom anodization. If EVERYONE wants one color, then that'll save money also because I can get them done in batches.

I would really like to offer the keys one way. With blade and transponder (except for AIO cars, you'd need to use your transponder). The teardrop remotes will likely lose the panic button. All you'd need to do as the end user is swap your remote board over, and get the key cut and transponder programmed. The AIO owners just need to get the blade cut.

Doing it that way will, ultimately, save everyone money. It's fewer parts for me to cut, and easier to assemble.

Once I get a proto done, I'll start a FS thread in the vendor section.

I'm not interested in making something that looks or feels cheap. Just not how I operate.

...I'm not really into doing lower quality models. That's not how I operate. Doc can definitely attest to my quest for perfection...

:lol: I can indeed! I am very interested in the results, I am a flip key junkie so why not add another to the batch! BAC is going to make a quality piece, that much is certain, and as far as costs realistically it might end up being at a price where a lot of people feel it's too much to pay. I know from my experience when I made flip keys for some members they are pretty labor intensive to put together, and mine were already pre-made for the most part. That combined with cost of materials, shipping, etc..., it's tough to come up with a price that is fair/low enough for everyone but also doesn't leave you making a few pennies per sale. I think the anodizing is a cool idea, but I'm sure everyone would settle for black or silver if it kept the batch price and made it a bit cheaper (personally I'd love a blue one, but I'm crazy like that :))

I love the idea of the front flip, I've seen those before and they are much more interesting than the standard side flipping VW/Audi style key, and I'm an even bigger fan of the assisted open and close. If it was anything like that knife in the video I can guarantee I'll buy one. Looking forward to the prototype!

Completely cool with losing the panic button. I've never had a need for it, trying to find the car in a parking lot just click the lock button 3 times and it's more than sufficient for me.

Taking the transponder to a dealership is something we'll just have to deal with unless we want to cut up our factory key and put the transponder in the FOB. Personally, I'm not opposed to cutting up the factory key if the product is solid and going to last. If this product is up to the quality you specify (which i'm sure it will be) then I'd have 0 reason to go back to the key and fob seperately. However, I'm probably in the minority in that regard. My guess is a lot of people want a simple drop in my teardrop board solution.

Something to make note of/question for you. Optional colors/anodizing... How tough is the coating? I've got a couple of keychains that were "anodized" and they've worn off the coating and look pretty bad. Personal opinion is that I'd like the FOB to be black or brushed aluminum looking. Not sure if this is possible, but it might be REALLY cool to have the subaru star logo, or the word subaru on the back of the fob. Coat the whole thing black but leave the subaru in siver. Not sure if that's feasable, but something to look into if you wouldnt mind.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Anodizing is all hard-anodizing. I'm not going to mess around with crappy coatings. Remember, I am making these primarily for myself. I don't want a crappy looking key in a few weeks!

I'll look into the two color options, but I bet it'll be cost prohibitive.

I CAN have the Subaru logo etched into the back of the key, if that's something people would be interested in. I hadn't really thought of doing that, and I probably wouldn't want it myself, either.

Doc - You are in some luck. My wife wants her key to match her Newport Blue 09 Impreza Hatch. Her key has the teardrop fob and everything.

OK, looks like I have a blade solution as well. I should be good to release a board-only key.

Two questions:

1) All of the all-in-one keys have 4 buttons, right? Trunk, lock, unlock, panic? I just thought that the key might be different between sedan and wagon.

2) All 05+ cars use the same transponder, right? I am 99% sure they do

3) All 05+ cars use the same key blade, right? Again, I am fairly certain that they do.

If all of those things work, then I should be GO for a small run of "swap your board and go" keys. AIO models won't come with a transponder, so all you need to do is cut the key. Teardrop models WILL come with a transponder, so you don't have to mutilate one of your keys if you don't want to.

I am currently trying to slim down the design, to try and keep it as space efficient as possible.

Archived