LegacyGT.com

Proper flip key interest?

BAC5.2

Interested in an assisted open/close key?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in an assisted open/close key?

• Yes! I've been waiting for this!
    • No, the All-in-one is fine

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That makes things much easier for me!

Edit: The blade and transponder. Not the fat kid and candy store.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I have the same car as you so definitely interested. Couple of thoughts:

1) Even with a quality material, how "scuff-resistant" would the fob be?

2) Any way to do the "one click to unlock all doors" approach?

3) Unless I am misreading this - and I have the same key as you - I still need to get the metal key bit re-cut? Can't I simply unscrew my key and re-use it with the transponder?

4) Assume there will be the ability to attach this to a keyring . . . .

REALLY APPRECIATE THIS

1) What do you mean "scuff-resistant"? I think it'll be pretty sturdy. I am using high grade materials. If you drop it, or play hockey with it, you might get some wear. But hopefully the place I have in mind for anodization does a good job. Nothing is scratch proof, but it should remain pretty good looking for a very long time.

2) I am not going to mod any electronics, or provide any with the key. The "one click" work would have to be done on your end of the system.

3) You will need to get the metal part of the key re-cut. It should cost less than $5 to have cut. You can reuse your transponder to avoid a trip to the dealer, though. I've found local locksmiths do a better job cutting keys than places like Home Depot, and they'll cut keys you don't buy from them.

4) Of course. I haven't settled on the best method yet, but it will definitely be able to be attached to a key ring.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I am glad to see someone taking this one. A few things for you:

1. My mazda flip key had a lot of play in it, it felt really flimsy and had about 1/4" of play at the end of the key, will this be nice and "tight" like a VW key?(BTW 3 mazda keys all had the same play!)

2. I had heard that you could program the AIO key for the 05-07 guys. Don't know if its true, but couldn't you just sell a blank AIO key with the kit for us 05-07 guys, then we wouldn't loose the panic button(not that I care)

3.I think most people would like to see a price of 75 or less. I know that its hard to do, but I think most people would sacrifice for a better cost.

One thing you could do is charge 75$ for aluminimun and black no etch, no personalization. Then add on a 5-10 or whatever fee for new color/customized etching... etc. Then you could mass produce one type and a bunch of non anodized blanks and recoup the cost of individualizing them... did that make sense?

The only issue with #2 is that the cost would definitely go up. At that point someone would have to buy the AIO key and the overall price goes up :S IIRC the AIO key does in fact work for the 05-07 crowd, but again with the cost :S

Also, nothing against the AIO crowd, but I like my teardrop buttons, large and easy to use, but that's my opinion.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

1) I expect the key to be as solid as a fixed key. If it isn't, ill fix it till it is.

2) I don't want 05-07 guys to have to spend another $70 on an AIO key. That's just not fair. I have already committed and promised to do two separate keys.

3) I'm not really willing to deliver a lower quality product. I like the "base model" concept though. I haven't decided how to structure sales yet.

I am also open to doing completely custom work.

I'm wondering if I should serial number them?

Haha, that did happen. What a letdown that turned out to be.

I probably will not serial number them, since I don't know the total number I'll end up making. Perhaps I'll include a "certificate of authenticity" that includes a production number.

I'll look into custom laser etching later, if you guys want them monogrammed or something like that. I have no idea what that would cost.

Or, you could PM Doc and have him make you up some custom, tiny, vinyl decals

True.

I'll look into the cost of post-engraving. Maybe it'll only be a few bucks extra.

hey are you able to laser engrave anodized aluminum? I know some laser engravers can only do painted metals. I used to run a epilog laser etcher and chrome would etch, but not aluminum and cast iron

I honestly haven't even thought much about it. I was going to source that to a finishing shop. It would probably be cheaper to do it that way, than to tie up a CNC etching a monogram. I'll look into various options.

Just as a thought... For anyone wanting engraving/logo's/whatever, its possible you may be able to take it to "Things Remembered" and have them engrave it or something. Or, any shops that do sports awards/plaques may be able to do it. Might cost $10 or so, but that may be an option. Keeps cost down, customization minimal, etc.
If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Just as a thought... For anyone wanting engraving/logo's/whatever, its possible you may be able to take it to "Things Remembered" and have them engrave it or something. Or, any shops that do sports awards/plaques may be able to do it. Might cost $10 or so, but that may be an option. Keeps cost down, customization minimal, etc.

Thats why I was asking about the laser etcher, we have one here at work(just moved here so I don't know which model they have)

Archived